5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who's To Blame? (Truxedo Tonneau Cover Problem)

drush

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My first post - unfortunately for a bad experience. I have a 2019 1500 Sport short bed new body style and ordered a Pro X15 cover from partsengine.ca. Installed it and immediately noticed that the rear seal barely touches the tailgate and the instructions show it covering over the top. I also had major leaking problems at the bulkhead corners. I called Truxedo and they told me that vehicles are being sold as new body style but with classic style boxes on them. I looked up the measurements difference and it's barely any different...maybe 1 or 2 mm here and there. Truxedo said it makes a huge difference, asked me to do some measurements and confirmed that I have a classic style bed on my truck.

Asked my dealership and someone from service told me not possible and that a classic box couldn't even fit on a new style body and that it was all BS. Truxedo says I need the classic style part number which I'm now getting but why would they make this up? I'm concerned.

Has anyone heard of this at all and can you provide any insight?

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Would agree with body shop, not possible. DT bed curves inward towards cab, does not have rounded wheel wells like classic, has different tail light cutouts etc...

Unless...of course...you are driving around in a 2019 Classic Ram, which would indeed have the classic bed.

drush

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Heli. This all seems so strange. I’m tempted to simply return the one I have and cut ties with both companies forever!

Klute

Reaction score
I have a 5th gen and the TruXedo TruXport cover. The only time it has leaked (once) is when I went thru touch less (high pressure) car wash on the driver's side by the tailgate. I see you have the low profile version. My local retailer advised me against that one b/c of reported leaks across all brands and models. (not just Ram 5th gen).

drush

Reaction score
I have a 5th gen and the TruXedo TruXport cover. The only time it has leaked (once) is when I went thru touch less (high pressure) car wash on the driver's side by the tailgate. I see you have the low profile version. My local retailer advised me against that one b/c of reported leaks across all brands and models. (not just Ram 5th gen).

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I’m starting to think that low profile might not be the best idea.

Klute

Reaction score
I guess it depends on how bad the leak is. A little or a lot or all the time or just under certain circumstances? This is my 5th truck using different tonneau brands (all the way back to drilling the sides for snaps - Yikes!) All have leaked at some point in time. Never had a low profile one though. I initially wanted that style too.

MTRHEAD

Reaction score
I have a truxedo low pro on mine that i installed myself and am very happy with it. When washing it will get a few drops in at the tailgate but nothing to be concerned about. We have taken it on a trip with luggage in back and hit hard rains. Everything stayed dry.

rlc2020

Reaction score
I have the proroll low pro cover on mine. I like the look of the low pro covers. I have a few drops that get in with heavy rain, but I have not gone back and checked the clamps once since I put them on, I didn't even measure when I installed it so things are probably not perfectly square and flush. My buddy has a truxedo low pro on his 4th gen and has zero leak issues. I would return it and tell them you want your money back just based off them trying to BS you in the first place.

Some idiot there is confused between FCA offering both 4th gen and 5th gen trucks at the same time and is spewing some pretty ignorant bs about some trucks having the wrong beds on them.

drush

Reaction score
I have the proroll low pro cover on mine. I like the look of the low pro covers. I have a few drops that get in with heavy rain, but I have not gone back and checked the clamps once since I put them on, I didn't even measure when I installed it so things are probably not perfectly square and flush. My buddy has a truxedo low pro on his 4th gen and has zero leak issues. I would return it and tell them you want your money back just based off them trying to BS you in the first place.

Some idiot there is confused between FCA offering both 4th gen and 5th gen trucks at the same time and is spewing some pretty ignorant bs about some trucks having the wrong beds on them.

Yah that's what I'm thinking. I've asked for a full refund from the vendor and I'm going to go the Lomax route now after reading a few threads. Thanks to all that replied.

rlc2020

Reaction score

Repsol69

Reaction score
Great...I just purchased the Pro X15 yesterday for my 2019 short box 1500 new body style from Real Truck should have it next week sometime i made sure the salesman double checked that it was for the new body style....this is the first time using a Truxedo cover..my last 2 covers were Extang Revolution and never had a problem...i decided to try something different this time hope i don't have any problems...

drush

Reaction score
Good luck I hope it works! I went with the BAKFlip MX4 and love it but still wish the x15 would have worked because I did like that one a lot.

Repsol69

Reaction score
So my cover arrived today.. install was easy n quick.. Fits perfect front to back n side to side love the matte black too.. Time will tell
bda1e2e35ca99171ec37cf7d23d9b8cc.jpg
c41d62d07bb3d164670f4c336897fd84.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cotonymopar

Reaction score
I know that access has a separate part number for the classic and the new style, so they are not compatable.. sorry you got the run around fro the cover company...

drush

Reaction score
So my cover arrived today.. install was easy n quick.. Fits perfect front to back n side to side love the matte black too.. Time will tell
bda1e2e35ca99171ec37cf7d23d9b8cc.jpg
c41d62d07bb3d164670f4c336897fd84.jpg

It is a nice looking cover - hopefully it works well for you.

Rhernandez577

Reaction score

rlc2020

Reaction score
Do you have pics of the ProZ on your truck. What are your thoughts on it. Are you happy with it. Trying to decide if I should fork out the extra cash for the Truxedo or go with the ProZ. Thanks!

Not the best pic, but all I have at the moment. Installed about 6 months ago, no issues so far. Keeps 99% of the rain out and for the price it cannot be beaten. It can be set just about level with the top of the bed rails, I have it installed up a bit for more clearance in the bed.

Neokane

Reaction score
Check out this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread