5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who's thinking about their next truck?

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just curious if there are more like me. I, unfortunately, get bored with my rides pretty much every year and a half or so. Yep, I've owned this one for a year and a half years now. It's not that I'm unhappy with it. I am quite satisfied with it. Still I find myself reading up on the possible next ride.

What really is catching my interest are the EV trucks coming out. I'm fully retired so no more commuting and not under the gun to make time traveling. I get there when I get there. Even 5 years ago, I was really against EV's and said I'd never own one. I'm not fully on the EV bandwagon yet but I'm walking along side of it. In the next year or so. And if I do hop on, I'll hang on to what I have a bit longer. Ford should be out with its take on the Rivian, the Hummer, Lincoln and the Rivian. The Rivian's 400 mile range is awesome, storage galore and of course the ability to do a tank turn. Maybe this first real winter I'm dealing with in decades has got me going nuts and I'll come to my senses...... If I do and decide to stay conventional, I'll be looking for the next ride in the 2021 model year.

Last edited:

Reverse

Reaction score
These electric trucks look great, but I don't think any of them are full size, which for me is a deal breaker. I intend to keep my current 2020 for 7 years (that's how long the warranty lastst), and then switch to an EV or full hybrid probably. Will miss the V-8 though.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm thinking about my next truck, but it will be a 3/4 or 1 ton. Also, that purchase won't be made for probably 10 years, at that point my ram will probably stay in the family too.
But all plans are subject to change, don't even have our first trailer yet

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm thinking of my next ruck already. I'm leaning towards a Power Wagon. I thought about a Power Wagon when I bought my current truck; but was concerned about MPG. I should have bought the Power Wagon because my current MPG isn't that great anyway.

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
I'm always thinking about my next truck.... my wife calls me a truck sl*t.
LMAO!!! "truck sl*t"

Ya'll sound like my brother; I swear he was getting a new vehicle every year for many years. I bet he has owned over 30 vehicles easily.

A great deal would have to come along with the 2020 RAM for me to budge at this point to get me out of my 2019RAM.

I did price out my 2019 with same options in the 2020 RAM and it came out just over $900 more (base prices with level 2 option).

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Electric is a few years away (10+) from being useful in a truck, for doing "truck things", like pulling. TFL Truck did an episode or two on the Tesla SUV, it could barely drive to the test spot never mind pulling a small trailer up the "Ike gauntlet".

Thing is completely useless for anything other than looking pretty and starting fast from a stop.

That's just due to current battery technology.

You say you're retired and time doesn't matter, but, if a 10 hour trip becomes a 24 hour trip I bet you may find that time is important to you after all :)

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wife said we are trading in the Motorhome on a fifth wheel for the Toy hauler garage so, I already have my next truck picked out. A RAM 2500 HD will be next (Unless Chevy or Ford pull their head out of their butt) once they add the pano roof, put the shark fin where it properly goes, get all of the tech and creature comforts added and hopefully (fingers crossed) full air suspension for a much smoother ride. I am Military retired but still working until the wife catches up, and then we both punch out.

TimG

Reaction score
I'm starting to look as well. Definitely happy with my Rebel, but as times change, so do my wheels. I'm going the opposite way as most though, and getting smaller. Had a 2500 for over 12 years when I got this 1500, now I'm looking at the Chevy Colorado (or similar). I hope that the Dakota information will start to drop soon. Id stay with FCA if possible.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Just curious if there are more like me. I, unfortunately, get bored with my rides pretty much every year and a half or so. Yep, I've owned this one for a year and a half years now. It's not that I'm unhappy with it. I am quite satisfied with it. Still I find myself reading up on the possible next ride.

What really is catching my interest are the EV trucks coming out. I'm fully retired so no more commuting and not under the gun to make time traveling. I get there when I get there. Even 5 years ago, I was really against EV's and said I'd never own one. I'm not fully on the EV bandwagon yet but I'm walking along side of it. In the next year or so. And if I do hop on, I'll hang on to what I have a bit longer. Ford should be out with its take on the Rivian, the Hummer, Lincoln and the Rivian. The Rivian's 400 mile range is awesome, storage galore and of course the ability to do a tank turn. Maybe this first real winter I'm dealing with in decades has got me going nuts and I'll come to my senses...... If I do and decide to stay conventional, I'll be looking for the next ride in the 2021 model year.
I know the feeling exactly. This is the reason I keep my vehicles about two years on average, sometimes three if looking at models towards the end of a lifecycle, and decide to wait for a full redesign (like on the RAM).

Already looking forward to the next vehicle I'll be driving. Just not sure what it will be at this point. Definitely another truck or SUV.

Xhumeka

Reaction score
Electric is a few years away (10+) from being useful in a truck, for doing "truck things", like pulling. TFL Truck did an episode or two on the Tesla SUV, it could barely drive to the test spot never mind pulling a small trailer up the "Ike gauntlet".

Thing is completely useless for anything other than looking pretty and starting fast from a stop.

Distance on a battery charge will be an issue for quite awhile to come, but I think the "truck things" will come much faster. Have you read much about the new Electric Hummer that was advertised during superbowl? They claim:

The most amazing thing about the new GMC Hummer EV will be how much power the truck will have. The Hummer's electric motors will produce up to 1,000 horsepower, enabling it to go from zero to 60 miles an hour in three seconds. The horsepower figure is more than most high-performance sports cars. General Motors' new Corvette, for instance, produces less than half that much horsepower.

The Hummer will also have a strikingly high 11,500 pound-feet of torque. Torque is a measure of raw pulling power. For comparison, a GMC Sierra 3500 Heavy Duty pickup with a diesel engine can produce 445 horsepower and 910 pound-feet of torque. That Sierra Heavy Duty truck, with a small fraction of the torque of the Hummer, can tow up to 14,500 pounds, according to GM.

11,500 pound-feet of torque.... wow!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
BTW, really interested in what the 2021 F-Series will look like. Word is that it will be a full redesign. They seriously need it, specially the interior (I really like their exterior styling, specially on the refreshed 2020 Super Duty models).

RamLink83

Reaction score
I plan on keeping my truck for at least 8 years (when warranty runs out). I put about 5k on the truck a year, so if everything stays the same with my commute (or lack of. I work from home) I will only have about 40k on my truck. If its reliable, I'll keep it longer. I'm curious to see what the new Tundra's will be like once they finally update that antique.

silver billet

Reaction score
Distance on a battery charge will be an issue for quite awhile to come, but I think the "truck things" will come much faster. Have you read much about the new Electric Hummer that was advertised during superbowl? They claim:

11,500 pound-feet of torque.... wow!

For the torque: if that number is true, it's pointless none the less. Do you really need more torque than current 3500 diesel duellys? Do you need more than 2000 lb ft? After a while it has no significance anymore.

The real issues facing electric trucks, are range. I don't care that it can tow my 10,000 pound RV from a stop light a few seconds quicker. I care that I can tow my 10,000 pound RV hundreds of miles more "on the same tank", refill/recharge in under 5 minutes, and go for another few hundred miles. And I care that I can be in the middle of Alaska, or Utah, or Saskatchewan and find a diesel station when I need it. The electric grid is still way too sparse for my comfort level.

So nobody is doubting that electric cars and trucks can put the power down, I think Tesla has already proven that years ago. But they can't keep the power in the tank, and that is an instant deal breaker for many people who need a truck to do truck things.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My last two trucks were Ford Raptors. I will give the TRX a serious look once dealer markups fade away. Otherwise...I will also check out Raptor redesigns. They have plenty of time to win me over too. My Ram continues to impress me after 25,000 miles, and I plan to test it to at least 100,000 miles. If it hits that benchmark without issue, it'll top my list of favorite trucks I've ever owned.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I'm starting to look as well. Definitely happy with my Rebel, but as times change, so do my wheels. I'm going the opposite way as most though, and getting smaller. Had a 2500 for over 12 years when I got this 1500, now I'm looking at the Chevy Colorado (or similar). I hope that the Dakota information will start to drop soon. Id stay with FCA if possible.
The new Rangers look nice also. TFL has a good video on the latest gen.
My last two trucks were Ford Raptors. I will give the TRX a serious look once dealer markups fade away. Otherwise...I will also check out Raptor redesigns. They have plenty of time to win me over too. My Ram continues to impress me after 25,000 miles, and I plan to test it to at least 100,000 miles. If it hits that benchmark without issue, it'll top my list of favorite trucks I've ever owned.
Agree. The RAM's my favorite pickup truck as well, although not a fair comparison, as trucks get better every year in every make. I do keep coming back to RAM thought. This is my third one, and the best one so far :cool: .

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm right there with you. I'm only about 8 months into my 2019 Big Horn lease and I'm already scoping out my next ride. I plan on going for an SUV this time though. Something a bit better on MPGs, I can fit in my garage and still gives me the cargo space I need. As much as it pains me to say this company on here, I'm really looking at the new Ford Explorers...they're pretty sweet.

Jwsmith

Reaction score
The range of EV would keep away since I take two trips of 1750 miles (one way) each year. Even being retired and not really time sensitive, recharge time every 400 miles would make my typical two day trip an extended journey. Looking at replacing my spouses 2012 Suburban (with 40,000 miles) in the next few years - leading candidate is a Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit with a 5.7 - love the Hemi performance and not real concerned with gas mileage. Plan to keep the RAM for at least 7 years.

silver billet

Reaction score
This is a great video too, more from the car angle than the truck, but still. This guy is bright, kinda funny, and always well researched, he owns a Tesla but still makes the claim that combustion engines are here to stay for a long while yet:

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The range of EV would keep away since I take two trips of 1750 miles (one way) each year. Even being retired and not really time sensitive, recharge time every 400 miles would make my typical two day trip an extended journey. Looking at replacing my spouses 2012 Suburban (with 40,000 miles) in the next few years - leading candidate is a Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit with a 5.7 - love the Hemi performance and not real concerned with gas mileage. Plan to keep the RAM for at least 7 years.
I test drove the 5.7 GC when I bought my wife’s. I went in convinced that I would purchase one, then I drove the 6 just to compare. I bought the 6 without hesitation. That engine is phenomenal in that platform.

Users who are viewing this thread