5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who Uses Gumout Engine Cleaner

Duran

Reaction score
Ive used the Seafoam on my old dodge. looking into it the Seafoam was made for 2 stroke engines looking to try some of this out for my 1500.

I have 27,000 miles on it. Has anyone tried this product and does anyone know the cons to using this product so early if there is any.

Post experiences and thoughts about using this on my truck . 2020 1500 with 27k

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20220819-134226_Google.jpg
    SmartSelect_20220819-134226_Google.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 22

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Never added any type of additive. With quality gas there should be zero reason for this.

I was told by my marine mechanic to never ever use Seafoam. It does a great job cleaning but also eats the hell out of seals and gaskets.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think the manual stated no additives needed if using Top Tier fuel, which is including cheaper priced gas like Costco & ARCO.

That being said, plenty of strong recommendations of additional fuel additives could be beneficial once in a while, since not all fuel is created equal, even in the Top Tier category. Or more likely, not all fuel additive packs are equal that the fuel delivery driver adds to the tanks.

I'm sure Gumout is fine, but I would go with one of the main fuel brands like Chevron's Techron Complete System or similar. I would probably also do it on the tank before an oil change.

snj1013

Reaction score
The Gumout cleaner is very good and uses the PEA active ingredient. Maybe adding once every year or 2 is probably all that is needed with quality, Top Tier fuels.

Duran

Reaction score
I used to use Cheveron till gas went up. I run 89 octane. Ive had my truck for 2 years. I dont think any harm will come to adding a cleaner in an empty tank. And im do for an oil change

U

User_3336

Grab a bottle of Chevron TECHRON if you want to use an additive.

Duran

Reaction score
This one?

do i put it in an empty tank before a oil change?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-08-20 204942.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-08-20 204942.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 19

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Never added any type of additive. With quality gas there should be zero reason for this.

I was told by my marine mechanic to never ever use Seafoam. It does a great job cleaning but also eats the hell out of seals and gaskets.
Seafoam works great when used as originally intended as a combustion chamber cleaner sucked in with vacuum through intake manifold. I would never add it to fuel or oil though.

For OP, at 27k miles, there should be no need for any type of engine cleaner. Dump some Lucas Oil fuel injector cleaner in the fuel every 3-4 tanks. And if you don't have one, get a catch can, and you should never need to use a cylinder cleaner

Users who are viewing this thread