5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who Switched?

RSConsulting

Reaction score
I've had Suburans, Yukons, etc. - never a fullsized Pickup, being an SUV guy myself. Last 2 were Honda Pilot Tourings ('12 & '16) - each I traded when I came up on 100K (and the extended warranty was almost up).

Could have bought ANYTHING I WANTED. And I literally DROVE EVERY PICKUP AND SUV ON THE MARKET.

2019 Ram 1500 Limited HANDS DOWN - 2019 Ford F-150 Platinum Diesel, very close 2nd place.

Things that sold me:

Split Tailgate - being 5'5" - not having to reach over a tailgate to get into the bed - VERY IMPORTANT. Probably the #1 feature that put it over the top.

Ride, interior comfort & appointments - including stuff like the huge center console (I keep a lot of crap in it), ventilated seats.

Interior space - including the huge rear seat (that will pretty much only see my Rottweiler - never had a passenger in the back of my last vehicle).

Factory Stereo - yeah, really (HK system w/12" screen). I normally throw amps and speakers in a new vehicle days after purchase (and I have $5K of high end Focal/Moscone pulled out of my Pilot). YES, my pulls from the last car would sound AMAZING in this truck. Not amazing enough to lose all my interior storage and pull my gorgeous interior apart to stash amps/subs/etc.), and the expense of a custom install (yet - I can always do it later on, if I don't E-Bay my old gear). The stereo has some shortcomings (and I listen to a lot of jazz and personal live recordings - as a concert sound/recording engineer) - but it's possibly the best factory system I've heard (and certainly better than the competition). Wish it were a little louder, and had some better EQ controls - but it's still pretty damn good.

$$ Value - we can ruminate all day about how much depreciation a new vehicle hit is, right after you drive it off the lot - BUT - a similarly optioned truck (and my limited has everything except 4-WD and a block heater), it was significantly less expensive than the Ford/GM products (not even talking about the imports). And the SUV versions of other manufacturers were outlandishly more expensive for the same options. If RAM made a fullsized SUV based on the 1500 platform, I would absolutely consider spending the $$ for it.

LOVE my truck - so much so, that 5 months since purchase, I HAVE NOT SMOKED IN IT ONCE - and for folks that know me, that is TRULY LOVE, Still smells like new leather inside (and DOG).

Been to the dealer twice - rear sunroof drain grommets, dead battery from suspension system run-on after shutdown (both known issues I found out about here).

Turning 60 this year - with a 7 year/unlimited FCA warranty, this may very well be the last new vehicle I buy - or at least keep after 100K miles (because I just won't keep a vehicle without an extended warranty - not with all the computers & crap in them).

/end review...

Rick

bigoldthor

Reaction score
I have been switching back and forth between Ram /Dodge and Ford since 2006. As much as I wanted to check out GMC / Chevrolet (I like the 6.2l engine) no rear seat a/c was a no way Jose when living in Florida. I'm actually getting interested in the EV trucks that'll be coming out in the next couple of years. I'm hoping I don't get bored with this truck so my next will be an EV pickup
So you seriously can't get rear seat a/c on the GM twins? Not even on the top-level trims? Wow.

bigoldthor

Reaction score
Came from a 2008 Nissan Titan King Cab. Power-wise it is comparable to my Titan with headers, exhaust, tune, etc. Only reason I got a different truck was because it wasn't a Crew Cab. Initially I had some buyer's remorse, mainly just because it's a stupid expensive truck, but after a month of driving it around I'm loving it. 100% happy, and now I force my wife to go in the truck instead of our 2018 Pathfinder because I can't stand Nissan's entertainment system/UI.

UConnect is 1000 times better than NissanConnect.
My wife has a 2019 Rogue top-level trim (SL AWD). It's nice but after having the Ram, I've only been it a couple of times, mainly just to move it around or something. You're right about Nissan Connect...not even close to Uconnect. It's a decent little SUV, but not even on the same planet as my Ram.

Brad460

Reaction score
Switched from a Tundra to my 2019 Ram 1500. I used to only drive the Tundra when I was towing or picking something up from Menards (due to the terrible ride). The Ram is now the most comfortable vehicle we own...really do love it.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was referring to a/c vents. Fords have them.......for years. No ventilated seats, though.

Even the GMC Denali did not have rear a/c vents, at least through 2016. The last one I was looking at. The Ford won that year. I was trading a 2014 Ram 2500 at that time.
My bad...I interpreted your comment in reference to ventilated seats (which are awesome here in Texas).

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was referring to a/c vents. Fords have them.......for years. No ventilated seats, though.

Even the GMC Denali did not have rear a/c vents, at least through 2016. The last one I was looking at. The Ford won that year. I was trading a 2014 Ram 2500 at that time.
By the way, my 2003 GMC had rear A/C vents.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
By the way, my 2003 GMC had rear A/C vents.
I wonder why they eliminated the rear a/c with the redesign. That was always an issue being brought up on the GMC truck forums when I was on them in 2016. I haven't checked on the latest redesign. I'd have to figure they corrected that major faux pas.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder why they eliminated the rear a/c with the redesign. That was always an issue being brought up on the GMC truck forums when I was on them in 2016. I haven't checked on the latest redesign. I'd have to figure they corrected that major faux pas.
I don’t know, but they did a lot of “cheapening” to cut costs / increase profits before their bankruptcy. I remember the discussion on GM forums when they eliminated the underhood lighting - even though the wiring and mounting bracket was still there. I had to chuckle when I noticed there was no such feature on my new Ram - clearly an oversight, rather than a cost-cutting measure, given all the tech and features on these trucks.

supercanadian

Reaction score
I have always had Ford Escape SUV's for the past few years, bought a 2018 F150 XLT once they hit the lot. I liked the f150, was quick, loved the style of it but a few things bugged me like the transmission shifts (TSB applied same issue) was just too jerky when it is cold (I live in Canada...so its cold 8 months of the year!). Did a ton of mods to the truck, rims, headlights, taillights, stereo, interior trim wrap, spoiler on the cab...etc.

To be honest hated Ram before I drove it. I am a cyclist and if I get buzzed by a truck it always seemed to be a Ram so I hated the brand for that reason lol. I also was a not a big fan of the styling and thought the F150 looked nicer exterior wise.

Fast forward to around October and I started to think about getting an 2020 F150 Limited as a reward for some personal achievements. I test drove it (rocket powered raptor engine!) and the exterior was nice, but the interior was really not that much of an improvement on my base XLT beyond leather seats and only interior colour was an awful brown. I went and checked out GMC, Toyota...etc and none of the top trim levels were wow'ing me. So I took a trip to my local Ram dealer and jumped in a 2020 Ram Limited. The interior sold it for me, then when I saw the black appearance package on the lot... I started my account here (ditched the f150 forum) and started to do my research before I buy to see what common issues were. Found a few that stood out but nothing beyond what any truck will have.

I have family who die hard chevy people. I don't get the loyalty to an corporation. You should always just pick the product that makes you happy. When my father inlaw stopped by shortly after I bought the truck I got the gears for not buying a bow-tie...I just smile and nod. I always remind him I'll happily switch to chevy/gmc if he is willing buy the truck for me. Conversations ends then.

Users who are viewing this thread