5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who likes the Stock 6 Speaker Stereo

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I may have to go back and modify my first post given the fact that in spite of what I originally said, I’m still modifying it. This modification stuff is more addicting than cocaine in the 80’s :LOL:

I have the following inbound and will be installed in the near future. I did not see the need to go crazy with super expensive gear. I just decided I needed something to drive the infinity ref better, it seemed they were being wasted and under-utilized. I also think I’m missing a bunch on the low-end. To fill in the low end I didn’t want to take up too much space with a large enclosure (or get to spendy) so I went with something lower profile. Here’s what’s coming:

Pioneer GM-A6704 4-Channel Bridgeable Amplifier with Bass Boost,Black/red

Kicker 11HS8 8" 150W Hideaway Car Audio Powered Subwoofer Sub Enclosure HS8

tolh13

Reaction score
Yeah I just got the front doors done. I don’t think you can do the dash with the infinity ref only. Too bright. Even after the front doors, it took a couple of days for the 6x9’s to break in,and playing with the eq before it started to sound right. Now it sounds great. Have the eq at +7 bass +4 mid and treble I’m still playing with. Somewhere between -1 and +2. I think it will getting even better when I slap the addl infinity ref 6x9 in the rear. Should get some more bass out of them since they are on their own channel and not in parallel like the front/dash combo. I’ll let you know. Maybe I’ll get it done tomorrow.

Side note: those doors are a royal PITA. Now that I know how to to do it the rear should go faster but everything was a pain. Even getting the trim panels that cover the bolts off PITA. Then removing the door panel was a bear. Start in lower panel, get a trim tool in there and then slowly pull (really really hard) with your hands. Slowly work your way around door (I broke a clip or two moving too quickly). Then detaching the wiring harness, kind of a pain, feel your way around and release clip). After that I didn’t detach the door latch. Didn’t want to be bothered with another PITA so I just slid door to the side and propped it up on some crates. When you install speaker be sure to zip tie wires close to front otherwise window will rub when all the way down. I have to go back and fix my drivers side because I can hear it rubbing (passenger side is fine). Lastly, when putting the door back together I found it very helpful to have crates or something to prop it up and think starting with the top first is best. Pay attention that the door lock knob (?) is correctly seated. Honestly is was more difficult and annoying then I thought it would be but once you do a door or two you get it. If you have a break bar or pry tool so you can get leverage, it would probably help a ton get the first couple of clips to pop (just wrap it in a towel or something to protect your door) and get the opening started using a platic trim tool (then wedge pry bar in). YMMV
So fitting the infinity 6x9 in the door no problem? I only ask because crutchfield shows that they will not fit and shows a 5 1/4 as fitting. I much prefer the 6x9

Patsy1099

Reaction score
So fitting the infinity 6x9 in the door no problem? I only ask because crutchfield shows that they will not fit and shows a 5 1/4 as fitting. I much prefer the 6x9

Yes they fit. They show them as too deep but they’re not. The window rails are close. You just have to make sure you keep the wires (especially the metra harness) zip tied tight against the speakers so they don’t interfere with the window. I found it easier to do the install with the window in the down position so I knew exactly where the glass would be relative to the speaker and wires.

tolh13

Reaction score
Yes they fit. They show them as too deep but they’re not. The window rails are close. You just have to make sure you keep the wires (especially the metra harness) zip tied tight against the speakers so they don’t interfere with the window. I found it easier to do the install with the window in the down position so I knew exactly where the glass would be relative to the speaker and wires.
Thank you. Installed 6x9 in all door and sounds great.

Gen3CoupeTX

Reaction score
I swapped my front dash corners for the Kicker speakers. I only wish all my $35 mods and 15 minutes work was that effective! Suspect that's all I spend on the sound system ... But no promises.

UKreject

Reaction score
I certainly am no audiophile so I thought the stock 6 speaker system was perfectly adequate. After reading some of the upgrade threads I decided to at least try the Kickers in the dash and they do make a huge difference. Mid range and treble are much more defined with a hint of bass- this to my 68 year old ears. Now I’m hooked so I will upgrade the door speakers. So which speaker?

Patsy1099

Reaction score
I certainly am no audiophile so I thought the stock 6 speaker system was perfectly adequate. After reading some of the upgrade threads I decided to at least try the Kickers in the dash and they do make a huge difference. Mid range and treble are much more defined with a hint of bass- this to my 68 year old ears. Now I’m hooked so I will upgrade the door speakers. So which speaker?

It’s really a matter of preference. I went with infinity all around (see sig). While it’s tons better I feel it’s missing power and bass so I’m in the middle of that upgrade now. This is like an addiction

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
I have slipped away from being into the audio stuff from reel to reels back in my teenage days to my antiquated Aiwa surround system still out in my living room today. I have sat in the new RAM with the 19 speakers and can say I thoroughly enjoyed it. I can say on my drives to the beach I still enjoy my simple 6 speaker set up (adjusting the equalizer) tremendously and really have no need to upgrade it (exception coming...lmao).

I agree this MOD stuff is addicting dangit!!!

I put the 6 speaker through my own test of songs and still enjoy it:
Phil Collins---------------In the air tonight
SoulSonic Force---------Planet Rock (original and its remix)
The Crystal Method-----Busy Child
Dougie Maclean--------The Gael (Last of the Mohican Theme)

If you really want to test your system with a song(s) play this to see how the music bounces from speaker to speaker to emphasize your audio ranges:
Kraftwerk----------------Tour De France and Numbers (2 different songs)

Kraftwerk not only mastered the different sounds into music but utilized the sounds coming from the different speakers as a method of almost hearing the sounds move from different quandrants of the brain. Sitting in center of speakers areas gets you the best feeling. Hopefully you all try these songs!!!!!

Needless to say....I will give in and at least try the Kickers...lLmao!!!!

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
Here is another tip to enjoy the music and it is a bit selfish if you have others in the vehicle. If you go to your Audio you can adjust the music location by touching the arrows to emphasize more of the sound coming from left/right/up/down. This is where you as the driver can be a bit selfish and "center" it on you. This gives the music more of a surround sound in your brain kinda sorta speaking.

I just went out and adjusted the arrows to center the sounds in my head (drivers seat) instead of center of the vehicle. You can immediately notice the difference once you get it center on you. Test it by lifting your butt from driver's seat and put your head over into passenger area. You will notice the difference in the sound adjusted as you will hear way more music on the right side and it will sound off/balanced of course.

Here is a picture of the arrows as I adjusted it to listen to the kraftwerk songs above----notice the red speaker in the middle is off center but this puts the music in my head (as center) instead of center of vehicle !!!!!

Blvckr3bel

Reaction score
Just put som JL Audio C2-350x in the dash corners and the difference is incredible. Might decide to replace the doors with some JL's as well but this certainly has satisfied me for now.

Attachments

• IMG_2264.jpg
    IMG_2264.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2262.jpg
    IMG_2262.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2263.JPG
    IMG_2263.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 36

Rich

Reaction score
Just put som JL Audio C2-350x in the dash corners and the difference is incredible. Might decide to replace the doors with some JL's as well but this certainly has satisfied me for now.

Good to hear you like them!

I wonder why Crutchfield says they won't fit in the new RAMs?

Users who are viewing this thread