5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who is jumping on the 24s for the Hemi? Who is looking forward to the Hurricane? Will the Hemi return in next year or two?

Get the last of the Hemi, new Hurricane or wait for the Hemi comeback?

• Get the last of the Hemi

Votes: 21 63.6%
  • Get the Hurricane

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • The Hemi will return in a year or two

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thankfully I won’t be looking for a new truck for at least 2-3 more years so I’ll see how things shake out by then. I retired recently and putting on about 1/3 of the miles I did previously so might even be longer.

Doubt we’ll see another V8 option in the near future since they have so much invested in the Hurricane but a guy can only hope Ford and Chevy who are still commited to V8’s will push Ram to do something. They will lose a lot of sales no doubt if they don’t offer a V8 anymore.
I think I'd just move up into a 2500 if I ever bought another truck. Might as well get the best I can.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thankfully I won’t be looking for a new truck for at least 2-3 more years so I’ll see how things shake out by then. I retired recently and putting on about 1/3 of the miles I did previously so might even be longer.

Doubt we’ll see another V8 option in the near future since they have so much invested in the Hurricane but a guy can only hope Ford and Chevy who are still commited to V8’s will push Ram to do something. They will lose a lot of sales no doubt if they don’t offer a V8 anymore.
Not that I think they will, but there's no reason they can't offer the Hurricane and bring the Hemi back. It's been a winning formula for Ford after all. I see more engine choices as a good thing, as I'm sure most people do.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think I'd just move up into a 2500 if I ever bought another truck. Might as well get the best I can.
I’ve been seriously considering that if the 6.4 is still available in the future.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep next truck I’ll probably be making the move into a 2500 depending on my needs at then so probably a 2% chance Ill get a hurricane anything but ill be curious how those that make the jump like them and longterm reliability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not that I think they will, but there's no reason they can't offer the Hurricane and bring the Hemi back. It's been a winning formula for Ford after all. I see more engine choices as a good thing, as I'm sure most people do.

One reason for offering both would be if the loss of customers due to the switch does not exceed what they save with the switch. I'm not sure of the differences in manufacturing costs, but for many years every manufacture has been very concerned about getting better fuel economy to reduce CAFE fines. Shaving just 1 mpg can result in huge savings for a manufacture and the Hurricane is predicted to get 1 - 2 mpg better than the Hemi.

In 2025 the CAFE standard for small trucks will be just over 39 mpg. If a manufacture's sales in the small truck category does not average above the CAFE standard they must pay a fine for every vehicle that fails the standard. For 2025 the fine will be $14 for every 1/10th of an MPG the vehicle is below the standard. So around $2600 will be added to the cost of a 20mpg Ram costing the manufacture/customer millions annually. A Ram that gets 21mpg vs 22 will save the manufacture about $60 million per years in fines if they sell half a million units. This source says the Hurricane is more efficient to build so the savings for the manufacture may be significantly higher.

I think the current 5.7 hemi will be gone forever. However, the current Hemi name was a fantastic marketing stunt so I wouldn't be surprised if they don't look for a way to carve out a dome in the combustion chamber of some motor so they can revive the Hemi name. I also predict many claiming they will only buy a V8 will change their tune when when they get tired of being passed by a Ram with an I6 twin turbo engine with more HP and torque and there is nothing they can do about it except make a lot of noise.

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One reason for offering both would be if the loss of customers due to the switch does not exceed what they save with the switch. I'm not sure of the differences in manufacturing costs, but for many years every manufacture has been very concerned about getting better fuel economy to reduce CAFE fines. Shaving just 1 mpg can result in huge savings for a manufacture and the Hurricane is predicted to get 1 - 2 mpg better than the Hemi.

In 2025 the CAFE standard for small trucks will be just over 39 mpg. If a manufacture's sales in the small truck category does not average above the CAFE standard they must pay a fine for every vehicle that fails the standard. For 2025 the fine will be $14 for every 1/10th of an MPG the vehicle is below the standard. So around $2600 will be added to the cost of a 20mpg Ram costing the manufacture/customer millions annually. A Ram that gets 21mpg vs 22 will save the manufacture about $60 million per years in fines if they sell half a million units. This source says the Hurricane is more efficient to build so the savings for the manufacture may be significantly higher.

I think the current 5.7 hemi will be gone forever. However, the current Hemi name was a fantastic marketing stunt so I wouldn't be surprised if they don't look for a way to carve out a dome in the combustion chamber of some motor so they can revive the Hemi name. I also predict many claiming they will only buy a V8 will change their tune when when they get tired of being passed by a Ram with an I6 twin turbo engine with more HP and torque and there is nothing they can do about it except make a lot of noise.
The Hurricane engine will definitely be a beast to be honest.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I also predict many claiming they will only buy a V8 will change their tune when when they get tired of being passed by a Ram with an I6 twin turbo engine with more HP and torque and there is nothing they can do about it except make a lot of noise.
Or put a supercharger on the Hemi and smoke the hell out of the SO and HO Hurricane.

I agree and in a few years Ford will have eliminated their 5.0 F150s in favor of the much more powerful 3.5 echo boost. They are already scaling back production of the 5.0 because of lower demand. There will always be many who move into the future kicking and screaming because they believe "old is good, new is bad".
What is it with you and linking outdated information from 2019
Ford is NOT getting rid of their V8

Here is an article from 2023 showing Fords v8 engines

New Engine Choices

The new Super Duty offers a broad range of engines:

• New standard 6.8L V-8 gas engine, targeting more low-end torque.
  • 7.3L V-8 that is targeting the best gas horsepower and torque in the class thanks to improved air intake and tuning.
  • A 6.7L Power Stroke V-8 diesel designed to go longer intervals between oil changes to stay on the job longer.
  • New high-output 6.7L Power Stroke V-8 diesel with a unique turbo, upgraded exhaust manifolds and unique tuning targeting the best horsepower and torque in the class.

Heres how you can get a 2013 F-150 5.0 with 700 HP from the dealership too

And there is a 5.2 supercharged V8 on the F-150

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Or put a supercharger on the Hemi and smoke the hell out of the SO and HO Hurricane.

What is it with you and linking outdated information from 2019
Ford is NOT getting rid of their V8

Here is an article from 2023 showing Fords v8 engines

New Engine Choices

The new Super Duty offers a broad range of engines:

• New standard 6.8L V-8 gas engine, targeting more low-end torque.
  • 7.3L V-8 that is targeting the best gas horsepower and torque in the class thanks to improved air intake and tuning.
  • A 6.7L Power Stroke V-8 diesel designed to go longer intervals between oil changes to stay on the job longer.
  • New high-output 6.7L Power Stroke V-8 diesel with a unique turbo, upgraded exhaust manifolds and unique tuning targeting the best horsepower and torque in the class.

Heres how you can get a 2013 F-150 5.0 with 700 HP from the dealership too

And there is a 5.2 supercharged V8 on the F-150

Again. Learn to read. I never said Ford was getting rid of the V8. I said, "in a few years Ford will have eliminated their 5.0 F150s" and nothing you posted disproves that belief. Yet, the story I linked regardless of age, seems to indicate they may be headed in that direction.

Most of the nonsense you posted had nothing to do with the F150. The couple of stories you posted that seemed to apply to the F150 were limited to 23 and 24 model years. So what? Ram is keeping the 5.7 Hemi for the 23 and 24 model years and may still produce a V8 for limited production models or for the HD lineup.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

Not sure why you quoted me with this response, but thanks for the lecture? I guess to me it was obvious that the Hemi in its current form is gone forever, but as you said there's no reason they can't introduce a new V8 with hemispherical combustion chambers and call it a Hemi. Even the current Hemi is different than the original Hemi design, so there's precedent there. V8 engines can be designed to get much better fuel economy than current Hemi engines get. It basically comes down to whether the they'll lose more money with the sales the'll likely lose for not having a V8 versus the R&D cost to develop a new V8. But either way they will lose customers over this. And whether it's over the short term or the long term is up to them to decide.

mrclortho

Reaction score
I’ve been seriously considering that if the 6.4 is still available in the future.

The 6.4L is disappointing in the 2500. I had a 2500crew cab, 4wd, with the 8 speed and my 1500 5.7L etorque is quicker and tows better. I know, it sounds wrong but my 1500 tows my 7,400lbs travel trailer better than my 2500 with the 6.4L did. I was surprised but it does. Maybe when you get really heavy, the 2500 takes charge.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The 6.4L is disappointing in the 2500. I had a 2500crew cab, 4wd, with the 8 speed and my 1500 5.7L etorque is quicker and tows better. I know, it sounds wrong but my 1500 tows my 7,400lbs travel trailer better than my 2500 with the 6.4L did. I was surprised but it does. Maybe when you get really heavy, the 2500 takes charge.
A 2500 and 1500 are way different.
Putting a 6.4 in a 1500 would likely preform way different than in a 2500 due to the differences in suspension, tire pressure, etc.
Unless you 2500 was a limited and 1500 a tradesman I don't see how the 1500 could tow better.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have no plans to move to a TT6, I am just not a fan of turbos.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

That's not apples to apples.

They built 2500's in the same year using the 5.7 as the base engine and the 6.4 as the upgrade, there was a large difference according to members that owned both.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah I’m sure those who go 2500 w/ the 6.4 aren’t doing it to win races but for everything else a 2500 has to offer over a 1500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread