5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whipple Supercharger??

IndianaRam

Reaction score
Has anyone on here purchased a Whipple kit for their new Ram's? Do you like them, are you running stock pulley, any problems? Anything you would do different? How is the HP Tune? I need more power to make my daily driver more fun and I'm looking at purchasing a Whipple kit for my Ram. Will probably buy long tube headers (looking at AFE) and do them at the same time too. When I buy the kit I was planning on buying a smaller (2.75) pulley as well.
I don't care about voiding warranty, I've already got 37k on the truck.

j50shf

Reaction score
Yes, had one since July. Significant difference.
Standard HP tune is lame. Had a custom tune which tweaks the Transmission and that's critical.
Also have a Borla exhaust system. Haven't done the headers but thought about it. Reality is you're not gonna feel much difference with long tubes once you have the whipple. message me if you want. Lots challenges we faced with installs and lots of advice i can give you based on my experience.

Last edited:

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Reality is you're not gonna feel much difference after the whipple.

So if you aren't going to feel any difference with it, then why waste your money on it?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

j50shf

Reaction score
So if you aren't going to feel any difference with it, then why waste your money on it?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
sorry. i need to edit my comment now i read it back. It came out wrong. i meant you won't feel the difference with long tube headers once you have a supercharger

popcenator

Reaction score
sorry. i need to edit my comment now i read it back. It came out wrong. i meant you won't feel the difference with long tube headers once you have a supercharger
How's everything holding up?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

j50shf

Reaction score
How's everything holding up?

Not really had any problems. Have to change oil way more frequently. It gets a little jerky when you first drive on a cold morning at low revs. so it helps to let it run a little first, but it's nothing major. It's fine once it leaves my road.
RAMs dont like to have their PCMs played with and it caused a lot of problems
with the install and tune.

popcenator

Reaction score
Not really had any problems. Have to change oil way more frequently. It gets a little jerky when you first drive on a cold morning at low revs. so it helps to let it run a little first, but it's nothing major. It's fine once it leaves my road.
RAMs dont like to have their PCMs played with and it caused a lot of problems
with the install and tune.
Mine has been jerky when it's cold since I bought it. I have it tuned now. I imagine how much more it would be with a Whipple. Transmission not had any issues? That would be my main concern if I ever went that route. The tunes have always made mine run way better.

j50shf

Reaction score
Mine has been jerky when it's cold since I bought it. I have it tuned now. I imagine how much more it would be with a Whipple. Transmission not had any issues? That would be my main concern if I ever went that route. The tunes have always made mine run way better.

no issues with transmission. the jerking lasts
for a few seconds and goes once's it goes over about 2500rpm-it's really just in my road

popcenator

Reaction score
no issues with transmission. the jerking lasts
for a few seconds and goes once's it goes over about 2500rpm-it's really just in my road
What did you do for a tune?

j50shf

Reaction score
What did you do for a tune?

Took it to a well known tuning company near me and told them to make it faster! Honestly it made a big difference. Wakes up
the Whipple.
It feels like the transmission is in sport mode. Way more responsive, faster throttle response, changes up earlier, holds revs longer.
I thought about dropping to a smaller belt also. The supercharger has more boost to give. But decided against it for the sake of long term engine and transmission preservation.

IndianaRam

Reaction score
Yeah, I figured I'd have to get it professionally tuned for best results. DO you have emission testing in your area, does it pass? That's the only thing holding me back right now from buying one.
I want as much power as I can get, not too worried about blowing the motor. If I do I'll just go upgrade and get a better one. I just want to see which way to go to get the most power and reliability I can. I'd like to get a TRX but I don't want a bigger truck and full time all wheel drive.
I've also thought about buying a Hellcat motor and just drop it into my truck, but haven't had time yet to talk to any shops (Arrington/Modern Muscle) about it.

j50shf

Reaction score
Yeah, I figured I'd have to get it professionally tuned for best results. DO you have emission testing in your area, does it pass? That's the only thing holding me back right now from buying one.
I want as much power as I can get, not too worried about blowing the motor. If I do I'll just go upgrade and get a better one. I just want to see which way to go to get the most power and reliability I can. I'd like to get a TRX but I don't want a bigger truck and full time all wheel drive.
I've also thought about buying a Hellcat motor and just drop it into my truck, but haven't had time yet to talk to any shops (Arrington/Modern Muscle) about it.
got your message. i'll give you a call
later today

Rstarnes

Reaction score
Have you done any towing with the whipple setup? I am considering the Whipple for my Rebel, i need a bit more power pulling the toy hauler,

Users who are viewing this thread