5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whipple SC and fiberglass hood

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can get the kits on sale, usually, for like 6500 ish at say Black Friday or what not. Although this particular kit might be harder to get discounted. And some of the dealers do military if applicable, which can get you a similar price at any time.

And then labor is probably 1k give or take.

500 tune, so an easy 8k as stated.

DLB_Ram

Reaction score
Was just reading thread about Mopar Ram Air and noticed a link to low down concept with almost identical hood:
That hood that I purchased is the replica. I got tired of waiting for them to come out with the hood an saw the one I purchased offer by Amerihood. Looked them up and they have good reviews so I purchased the hood. Hood will be here on Friday; I’m immediately taking it to a body shop to get it checked out. I like that it routes the air to the location of the ai box so it will work with the K&N filter.

DLB_Ram

Reaction score
Did they do a dyno baseline prior to the install?
They did a baseline Dyno but it only got 274 to the rear wheels. They said that they believe the truck could have done more with just a basic tune without the SC. They will do another tune after everything is done.

DLB_Ram

Reaction score
The one I looked at was roughly US $10k .. I also looked at the Procharger which was less than US $8k.
I'm waiting for the OP to lemme know what he got so I can look into that one .. My local parts department isn't able to get the Hellcat version to keep the rig under warranty :(
Just got a minut to get back on and respond. I went with the whipple. I attached the screen shot from the website and a picture from yesterday morning. THe exhaust is the Magnaflow exhaust and the cold air will be from K&N

Attachments

• 405ACBD2-5993-45E3-AF45-1F8DECC3CDF4.png
    405ACBD2-5993-45E3-AF45-1F8DECC3CDF4.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 329
  • F2540B79-C194-4BB1-8B0C-6CBA9C808067.png
    F2540B79-C194-4BB1-8B0C-6CBA9C808067.png
    994 KB · Views: 330

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
They did a baseline Dyno but it only got 274 to the rear wheels. They said that they believe the truck could have done more with just a basic tune without the SC. They will do another tune after everything is done.
This is cool. Mine is getting procharged right now so I’m looking forward to how you feel about yours

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score

What kind of dyno was that on? Dynojet? Seems low....maybe a mustang dyno.

DieselDak

Reaction score

Makes sense that it would move air to the side the factory airbox is on. I wish that would work for me but everything is flip flopped in the engine bay with the Hellcat swap. This is where I wish I was a good body man and could modify the underside to work.

Lize

Reaction score
Later this year I’ll hoping to have another car (not the Ram) supercharged when the shop has a free slot and I don’t want to use it so much. It’s a Jap import and the main difficulties are the ECU and the tuning. With that one I’m going to have to have an additional ECU added for engine management but leave the OEM one for transmission control.

I’m really interested in doing the Ram too, just at the possibility stage at the moment though. I’d be very interested in any information you can share regarding the engine management side of things. I’ve seen the exchange Diablo but I can see me running into problems finding someone in the UK that is willing and capable of the job.

I know you guys have warranties to consider so it’s great to see people taking the plunge and exciting to hear about the results.

Phoon

Reaction score
Just got a minut to get back on and respond. I went with the whipple. I attached the screen shot from the website and a picture from yesterday morning. THe exhaust is the Magnaflow exhaust and the cold air will be from K&N
any updates?

DLB_Ram

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I apologize for the late post but I did get everything done and it turned out well. The Truck saw a moderate increase of 130hp to the rear wheels with the Whipple tune that provides a warranty. So it now has a cold air intake; Magnaflow exhaust and the Whipple
The hood is also done; I have attached pictures.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 320
  • 51A69C0D-708B-4923-A464-68E3E948B520.jpeg
    51A69C0D-708B-4923-A464-68E3E948B520.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 333
  • 6FDA2E77-4F59-4395-B7A7-FD1DF3B6EB00.jpeg
    6FDA2E77-4F59-4395-B7A7-FD1DF3B6EB00.jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:

clazer

Reaction score
That’s awesome! Have you been driving it long enough to know how your mpg changed? If it were me, I’d be hitting the throttle hard, so it might be hard to tell! How does the warranty work? Cover the engine if you keep the tune mild?

Last edited:

lrobbi

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I apologize for the late post but I did get everything done and it turned out well. The Truck saw a moderate increase of 130hp to the rear wheels with the Whipple tune that provides a warranty. So it now has a cold air intake; Magnaflow exhaust and the Whipple
The hood is also done; I have attached pictures.
Congratulations, hood looks great. That extra power must feel good! I am looking forward to Whipple SC.

DLB_Ram

Reaction score
That’s awesome! Have you been driving it long enough to know how your mpg changed? If it were me, I’d be hitting the throttle hard, so it might be hard to tell! How does the warranty work? Cover the engine if you keep the tune mild?
lol. On the fuel milege I’m definitely fueling up more than I used too; I haven’t did a MPG check yet. I already knew the mileage was going to suffer. The warranty work as long as you use Whipples tune; and they cover the engine for the remainder of the factory warranty.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I like that hood a lot. I said I was going to make a post about my procharger install with pics and just still haven’t got around to it.

Users who are viewing this thread