5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whining noise?

Jack.

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this noise has always been there, I recently noticed it the other day driving back from work and now I keep on hearing it ☠️ I got a 21 etorque and was curious if anyone else has this noise in their cabin?

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Does it change when the transmission shifts? Does it do it while idling? Does it only do it while you're pushing the gas pedal while driving? Does it change when you turn the steering wheel?

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sure sounds like a bad power steering pump :oops:

Seadoorxpguy

Reaction score
Does it come and go? I just had to have the alternator replaced on my 21 e torque for a very simialr sound. It was more noticeable after a short trip when the truck was cold

Jack.

Reaction score
Does it change when the transmission shifts? Does it do it while idling? Does it only do it while you're pushing the gas pedal while driving? Does it change when you turn the steering wheel?
The noise does change when the transmission shift, like it goes up and down ish. Doesn't do it at idle, you do hear it when you gas but after a little bit it isn't as bad depending on the speed but it could be because of road noise/exhaust. The noise is constant so it's there when steering wheel is turn while driving.

Jack.

Reaction score
Does it come and go? I just had to have the alternator replaced on my 21 e torque for a very simialr sound. It was more noticeable after a short trip when the truck was cold
It depends on the speed I'm going but like stated above if I'm doing high way speed I usually don't hear it. More noticeable around 15-30mph

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
eTorques don't have alternators. Did you mean you replaced the MGU?

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
The noise does change when the transmission shift, like it goes up and down ish. Doesn't do it at idle, you do hear it when you gas but after a little bit it isn't as bad depending on the speed but it could be because of road noise/exhaust. The noise is constant so it's there when steering wheel is turn while driving.
Could be a few things. Could be the torque converter, power steering, alternator or generator. If you still have a warranty on it I'd bring it in and let then diagnose it

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Power steering is electric on 5th gens.

Snekpete

Reaction score
I would pull the fuse for the radio and Active Noise Cancellation unit under the driver's seat.

KiyLux

Reaction score
I had a similar whining noise most noticeable at low speeds only. At first the dealer wouldn't acknowledge the noise and then stated that it was normal noise. I was able to hear the noise the most on my particular issue, by just keeping the truck in park, opening the hood, and revving to about 2500 RPM and keeping it steady there. You could clearly hear the whining noise. Took back to the dealer and they did replace a few parts that helped remove the whining noise.

VERIFIED THE CUSTOMERS CONCERN OF CUSTOMER
STATES ENGINE HAS A WHINE NOISE COMfNG FROM
ENGINE. HEAR IT BEST AT 2OOO RPMS. PERFORMED A
VISUAL INSPECTION NOTHING ABNORMAIJ. PERFORMED A
IDLER PULLEY EXAMINATION AND DIAGNOSTIC TESTED
THE COMPONENT. PERFORMED AN ENGINE & DRIVE BELT
INSPECTION TO FIND TENSIONER PULLEYS MAKING
SOUND. FOUND THE LEFT SIDE IDLER PULLEY IS NOISY.
FOUND THE RIGHT SIDE IDLER PULLEY IS NOISY.
Installed 52Bl-956AA : TENSIONER: BELT
Installed 68518735AA :TENSIONER: TENSIONER

Last edited:

Jack.

Reaction score
Just to update, dealer looked at it and found the belt tensioner was leaking and by so the overall belt was loose, part #

Belt Tensioner - Mopar (05281543AD)​

Got it fix under an hour due to them having the parts available.

I guess it has been awhile because after it was fix I noticed the truck being way more responsive and picks up like it was new lol.

Users who are viewing this thread