5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

whining noise in 4wd and shuddering on 4lo during low speed turn

tpoony

Reaction score
bought this as a CPOV at 48k miles a month ago, so it's still under Mopar Maxcare. I just got my truck back with the axle actuator replaced because it couldn't switch into 4wd. It is able to switch to 4lo and 4hi successfully, but seems have to switch to N every time based on dash instructions. Is that normal.

I now have discovered other issues, would love anyone here to advise:
1. 4hi has whining between 0 to 40mph. It's very noticeable. Gets worse if i turn at low speed (below 20mph)

2. 4lo cause the truck to stutter. Especially turning at low speed. I got it to a point where if i was going 5mph consistently and turn the steering wheel half way, the truck is stuttering / rocking back and forth as if it was stuck between gears. I also notice at low speed even on concrete, the rear tire starts to spin out (i have new tires with great treads). Honestly, i lack the words to properly describe it.

3. I now started hearing a squeal while braking at around 40mph. This seems to be happen in 2wd or 4wd.

I am definitely going to take it back to the deal. I read in some other forums the brake squeal may be a TSB requiring new rear pads and caliper bracket. But i couldn't find anyone that have referred to my problems around 4hi and 4lo. Is this a drive shaft or transfer case issue? However, since the truck had a bad axle actuator, i suspect it hadn't gone into 4hi or 4lo for a very long time, could that be a factor?

Would love any advice from anyone on this! Thank you so much!

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
A little whine in 4 hi is normal and tires will hop on dry pavement/surfaces.

4 Lo on dry surfaces will bind in turns always.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread