5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whine / Whistle when shifting

Bates

Reaction score
I just bought a 2020 Ram 1500 w/ 5.7. Once I got it home I noticed a whining or whistling noise coming from the engine area when the trucks shifts. It seems to only happen when shifting from 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. It happens when the truck is shifting during acceleration and also deacceleration. It reminds me of a sound like when you don't get the air cleaner cover down tight. I obviously checked this and everything is sitting well and tight. Is this sound normal??

2020Big4x4Horn

Reaction score
I noticed the same thing when taking off from a red-light. Not sure what it is. Sounds cool so I was like whatever.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you have eTorque? If so, what you are likely hearing is the generator/motor essentially grabbing the crank via the belt, and slowing the engine down between shifts. On other vehicles this is done via the clutches in the transmission. On the eTorque engines they use the system to do that while putting the generated power into the 48V battery system. I can notice it pretty well if I have a window down.

2020Big4x4Horn

Reaction score
Do you have eTorque? If so, what you are likely hearing is the generator/motor essentially grabbing the crank via the belt, and slowing the engine down between shifts. On other vehicles this is done via the clutches in the transmission. On the eTorque engines they use the system to do that while putting the generated power into the 48V battery system. I can notice it pretty well if I have a window down.
Mine has e torque.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread