5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which would be more beneficial for towing a travel trailer?

Dknewton

Reaction score
I’m looking for my new Ram. I’ll be towing a 7500 lbs travel trailer. If I can’t find a truck with both, which would benefit me more - 4 corner air suspension or 3.92 rear axel ratio? Seems like everything I find has one or the other.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
3.92 for that weight but that does make me have to ask a general question. I don’t heavy tow at this time but I always thought air suspension was suppose to level the truck but then I see guys with air suspension using weight distribution hitches??? Can someone enlighten me why both or am I getting this wrong?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
From what I've gathered here, while the air suspension levels the truck, the hitch actually transfers the weight towards the front axles.
This is exactly the reason. We explain the whole situation in the other threads. You set the WDH with the truck in jack mode...then when it is properly setup to transfer weight back to front axle of truck and the axles of the trailer, then air suspension back to normal levels out the truck and away you go. Air suspension also makes hooking up and un hooking much easier.

The 3.92 is definitely more important for heavier trailers than air suspension, but neither are needed, but both are better.

geotex1

Reaction score
Now if I had $5 for every happy camper family running down the road with either 1) no WDH when desperately needed, or 2) nice WDH but not even remotely close to being properly set up, I'd have already retired! Two general rules for anyone new or novice at towing: 1) don't believe the trailer dealer, and 2) don't believe the tow vehicle dealer! Do your own homework and know exactly what your buying and be informed about what you need to safely tow for the sake of your family and those of us you will share the road with!

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Now if I had $5 for every happy camper family running down the road with either 1) no WDH when desperately needed, or 2) nice WDH but not even remotely close to being properly set up, I'd have already retired! Two general rules for anyone new or novice at towing: 1) don't believe the trailer dealer, and 2) don't believe the tow vehicle dealer! Do your own homework and know exactly what your buying and be informed about what you need to safely tow for the sake of your family and those of us you will share the road with!
Absolutely! Have seen a lot of unsafe towing situations out there over the years.

2wd

Reaction score
I’m looking for my new Ram. I’ll be towing a 7500 lbs travel trailer. If I can’t find a truck with both, which would benefit me more - 4 corner air suspension or 3.92 rear axel ratio? Seems like everything I find has one or the other.

PAYLOAD!

The payload limits on these Ram trucks have a wide range (I've seen as low as 1100 all the way up to 1800 lbs). You can see the payload on the driver door jam sticker. Don't trust the website that calculates based off VIN/config. That is the best case payload scenario for that config (stripped of options).

A 7500 lbs trailer at 15% tongue weight is 1125 lbs, then add 100 lbs for the required weight distribution hitch and you could already be approaching your payload limits once you add a driver and passengers.

What are the payloads of the trucks you're looking at? Check yourself or ask your salesman for pics of the door jams of each truck.

EDIT: If you can, please give more info on the trailer. The specific model number, or dry vs. wet weight, and GVWR of the trailer.

Last edited:

Chris

Reaction score
PAYLOAD!
A 7500 lbs trailer at 15% tongue weight is 1125 lbs
15% tongue weight is an ancient standard. The new standard has been 10% for a long time now, giving an extra 375 lbs in your example.

runamuck

Reaction score
I would say get the 3.92. that's what I have and the truck pulls my 6000# travel trailer great. you can add air bags later if you want. there are many after market ones to pick from. my son added rear ones to his 2017 ram for under 100$

2wd

Reaction score
My point to the OP was just to make sure the truck he's looking at has good Payload. That is likely to be the first limiting factor if he's towing heavy frequently, more so than the gearing or airbag setup.

runamuck

Reaction score
yes the payload numbers are usually the limiting factor. mine is only 1324# so I have to pack light. I went CAT scales and had everything weighed. 550# on the hitch with trailer hooked up...

Users who are viewing this thread