5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which warranty Is the best bet

Flot

Reaction score
This just seems like a waste of money

This must be your first FCA product. :)

In all seriousness, $1500 for a 4-5 year warranty extension is a great deal considering that this is a newly redesigned truck and ANYTHING could happen long term. There are many systems on the truck that could be an easy $500 repair and almost as many that are an easy $1000+ repair. I'm only in year 1 and probably have $1200 of repairs considering the ridiculous dealer rates - obviously the more features your truck has the more opportunity for failure. (for instance, my power folding mirror on the drivers side just crapped out - which I assume is a $500++ fix as they had to order a new mirror assembly)

Even the most reliable vehicles I've ever owned have had $1000 repair bills at 7 year mark, and if you are a private party seller, it's nice (and valuable) to be able to sell a vehicle with x months of full factory extended warranty available.

I have a good friend who also likes to point out how "ridiculous" spending on an extended warranty is.. I got in his 6 year old car and the check engine light was on, something was wrong with the stereo display, and one of the power door locks had stopped working. His reaction was "well that stuff isn't important, the car is still 100% fine" but they were all repairs which would have been covered.

Obviously if you think you'll only own the truck 3-4 years, there's not much point. And if you trade your vehicle in with extended warranty available, it does NOT pass to the next buyer. For me, I like the piece of mind that even at 7 years, I can take the truck to the dealer, say "x is broken," get a free rental, and assume that it'll be taken care of with minimal hassle.

Last edited:

19ramsport

Reaction score
And if you trade your vehicle in with extended warranty available, it does NOT pass to the next buyer.

True, but you can then cancel the extended warranty at that point and get a pro-rated refund. I've done that with the past few vehicles I've owned. I've used the extended warranty for some repairs and then got a refund too when I traded in early before the 7 or 8 year extended warranty was up.

Gsmith223

Reaction score
Is the 75,000 from the date the vehicle was put into service, if so that means you’re only getting 39,000 additional miles and the eight years probably takes affect him original date of his in-service which means you’re only getting five years and less than 40,000 miles additional for the factory warranty. Depending on how many miles you drive and you could exhaust that in three years so the five years would be worthless.
When it was lifetime unlimited miles it kind of made sense but not these barely extended from the factory warranty. A majority of your problems are either going to come in the first few months or after 80K miles.

Gsmith223

Reaction score
This must be your first FCA product. :)

In all seriousness, $1500 for a 4-5 year warranty extension is a great deal considering that this is a newly redesigned truck and ANYTHING could happen long term. There are many systems on the truck that could be an easy $500 repair and almost as many that are an easy $1000+ repair. I'm only in year 1 and probably have $1200 of repairs considering the ridiculous dealer rates - obviously the more features your truck has the more opportunity for failure. (for instance, my power folding mirror on the drivers side just crapped out - which I assume is a $500++ fix as they had to order a new mirror assembly)

Even the most reliable vehicles I've ever owned have had $1000 repair bills at 7 year mark, and if you are a private party seller, it's nice (and valuable) to be able to sell a vehicle with x months of full factory extended warranty available.

I have a good friend who also likes to point out how "ridiculous" spending on an extended warranty is.. I got in his 6 year old car and the check engine light was on, something was wrong with the stereo display, and one of the power door locks had stopped working. His reaction was "well that stuff isn't important, the car is still 100% fine" but they were all repairs which would have been covered.

Obviously if you think you'll only own the truck 3-4 years, there's not much point. And if you trade your vehicle in with extended warranty available, it does NOT pass to the next buyer. For me, I like the piece of mind that even at 7 years, I can take the truck to the dealer, say "x is broken," get a free rental, and assume that it'll be taken care of with minimal hassle.

My first FCA yes but this is about my 9th Chrysler product.;) Your buying a warranty for 5 years and 40K miles so about 2-3 years for the average driver after your factory warranty goes out. Usually I do the repairs myself but as I have gotten older I let the shop do it. Going back to the dealership for repairs will shorten your life span and lighten your wallet. But finding a good shop to do the work is getting harder with the new stuff. I like the warranty when it was lifetime unlimited but once they limited miles that was a game changer for me. Thats why I leased I figure if I need an extended warranty at the end of the lease I will get the CPO warranty and not have to pay for it.

westcoast

Reaction score
Is the 75,000 from the date the vehicle was put into service, if so that means you’re only getting 39,000 additional miles and the eight years probably takes affect him original date of his in-service which means you’re only getting five years and less than 40,000 miles additional for the factory warranty. Depending on how many miles you drive and you could exhaust that in three years so the five years would be worthless.

From date of purchase. My truck is completely covered until July 12th 2027 for $1300.

I drive about 6 to 8000 miles per year so I want the 8 years not the mileage

To me the peace of mind is worth it

ldoh

Reaction score
Yes, there is something to be said for peace of mind.

Unfortunately FCA has a history of not acknowledging or even correcting issues. And some issues are very expensive. A friend of mine and his son both had premature catastrophic failures (lifter/camshaft failure) on their older 1500 model 5.7L hemis. I checked online and the top complaint for 2012 Ram 1500s are engines - the #1 engine complaint was lifter/cam lock-up failure. For 2015 the Ram 1500's #2 complaint is blown engine. For 2016, the Ram 1500's #1 complaint is engine - and within that category the #2 complaint is engine failure (carcomplaints.com).

And then there's the notorious Ram 3.0L Ecodiesel premature bottom end catastrophic failures that have been happening since it's 2014 roll out.

I plan to get an extended warranty. I figure a small portion of the large MSRP discount upon entry is well served buying a decently discounted Mopar extended warranty. It might even increase resale value.

Last edited:

westcoast

Reaction score

Unfortunately FCA has a history of not acknowledging or even correcting issues. And some issues are very expensive. A friend of mine and his son both had premature catastrophic failures (lifter/camshaft failure) on their older 1500 model 5.7L hemis. I checked online and the top complaint for 2012 Ram 1500s are engines - the #1 engine complaint was lifter/cam lock-up failure. For 2015 the Ram 1500's #2 complaint is blown engine. For 2016, the Ram 1500's #1 complaint is engine - and within that category the #2 complaint is engine failure (carcomplaints.com).

And then there's the notorious Ram 3.0L Ecodiesel premature bottom end catastrophic failures that have been happening since it's 2014 roll out.

I plan to get an extended warranty. I figure a small portion of the large MSRP discount upon entry is well served buying a decently discounted Mopar extended warranty. It might even increase resale value.

EXactly why I got the warranty. One has to protect themself these days and if it cost $1300 to do so , so Be it

Last edited:
U

User_3336

Can you please state issues in the 18's and 19's?

You're quoting 2012 and 2015 issues. Lots of refinements in engines and transmissions since then......

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I plan to keep my truck for a long time. I put about 25K miles a year on my vehicle so my BTB will be up around this time next year and my powertrain the following year. I plan to get a 7 year unlimited mile policy to get me through 2026 instead of 2021. Even if I don't use it that ~$50/month for an additional 5 years of coverage (with rental) is worth the peace of mind to me.

I will be able to enjoy the truck a lot more IMO knowing that for ~175K miles any major issues will only cost me $100.

Just my .02

Last edited:

timtlu

Reaction score
I plan to keep my truck for a long time. I put about 25K miles a year on my vehicle so my BTB will be up around this time next year and my powertrain the following year. I plan to get a 7 year unlimited mile policy to get me through 2026 instead of 2021. Even if I don't use it that ~$67/month for an additional 5 years of coverage (with rental) is worth the peace of mind to me.

I will be able to enjoy the truck a lot more IMO knowing that for ~175K miles any major issues will only cost me $100.

Just my .02
With such extreme driving habits and the unlimited miles provided by the policy, you definitely increase the time window by which you are protected. For sure, different conditions affect the potential benefits differently.

But to be transparent your peace of mind isn't $100, but costs the price of the plan plus your $100 (per claim). In this case that would be ~ $3,255, minimum. A new transmission or complete engine would definitely cost more than that. Outside of those, I'm not sure how many other repairs would exceed that initial cost.

U

User_3336

Along the lines of my thinking!

I plan to keep my truck for a long time. I put about 25K miles a year on my vehicle so my BTB will be up around this time next year and my powertrain the following year. I plan to get a 7 year unlimited mile policy to get me through 2026 instead of 2021. Even if I don't use it that ~$50/month for an additional 5 years of coverage (with rental) is worth the peace of mind to me.

Just my .02

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not sure how many other repairs would exceed that initial cost.
I'm coming from a 2003 Ford F-250 with a 4 speed transmission, 3 computers total (one for engine management, one for injector management, and one for everything else), some electrical components, and a whole lot of pieces/parts. I was able to do every bit of work myself. The only digital things on that truck were the odometer and radio screen. When I look at my RAM all I see is $$$ (parts and labor). While a lot of people are used to this technology I am not and, while I'm enjoying these creature comforts/conveniences, they do not look inexpensive.

This is my first new truck ever and I'm probably being a little overly protective of it but having the extended warranty will also appease my wife's worries as we rack up the miles on the RAM. And that, to me, is priceless. (y)

RebelRam

Reaction score
On the Ziegler website I know it references a money back guarantee if you don’t use your warranty by the end of the contract. That kind of seems like an added benefit. I know there’s a lot of ways for them to get out of it, like if you have one diagnostic or repair that costs $250 and you paid $100 for the deductible. I imagine the clause eliminated you from getting your money back. But if the argument is you’ll never use the warranty, then at the end of it, if that’s the case, you should be able to get your money back, right?

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did not notice that. If they don't spend a penny you get it all back, otherwise you get none of it back. A potential benefit and motivation to not make any claims on it.

It's better than not getting your money's worth (or money back) at all.

westcoast

Reaction score

Just my .02

Exactly.

westcoast

Reaction score
I did not notice that. If they don't spend a penny you get it all back, otherwise you get none of it back. A potential benefit and motivation to not make any claims on it.

It's better than not getting your money's worth (or money back) at all.
Wow

This is an added benefit I didn’t know of.

It’s like getting all your money back on an insurance policy if you never made a claim

RamGuy32

Reaction score
So here’s my story. I bought a 2006 civic brand new. In 2011 the motor blew while my son was driving it back from SoCal. He had it towed to Honda in Stockton. I received a call the next day from the dealership who said I have bad news and good news. I said, what’s the bad news. He confirmed that the engine block had cracked and it would need a new short block to the tune of $5,850. I then asked for the good news and he said it’s covered because I bought a Honda esp when I purchased the vehicle. At 68k of a 70k warranty I was covered! I said, ”I did?!” so then 4 more years pass and at 168k miles I blew the head gasket. Honda confirmed it was the head and said it would be $3600 to replace the head. I said, crud...cars barely worth that. He asked me where I had the repair done and so he checked at stockton Honda. He called me back shortly and said your repair is covered. I said, what?!? he said that he asked them to fax the work order from the other Honda dealership and when he reviewed it they didn’t resurface the head to mate with the new block. He said that’s why it eventually blew. I was blown away. I will always have an esp for that reason and use the Geico esp plan. It gets good reviews and will fix multiple issues for the same deductible.

Last edited:

ldoh

Reaction score
Can you please state issues in the 18's and 19's?

You're quoting 2012 and 2015 issues. Lots of refinements in engines and transmissions since then......

Of course the data is rear viewing so I might need a crystal ball for that. I don't think Ram made any significant 5.7L changes in the last few years. My main point was the next best bet is an extended warranty.

For now here's the Ram 1500 complaint view. One can select model years up to 2020:

Users who are viewing this thread