5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which trailer plug wires to splice for LED reverse lights?

mac1983620

Reaction score
Have been trying to find the answer but not having any luck. Do not want to use a plug. Installing Rigid Ignite, that only have a red and black cable, no harness. Want a permanent install.

U

User_21361

What do you mean that you dont want to use a plug? You can create a harness similar to this wiring:

OR splice the white and blue wires off of your existing trailer harness. I would recommend against this. The addition of the Curt harness allows you to remove it or swap the harness if you mess it up. Splicing the wire incorrectly would just mess up your existing lines. I just did the same install the other day and it took a couple of minutes. I could it back to stock in about 1 min.

mac1983620

Reaction score
What do you mean that you dont want to use a plug? You can create a harness similar to this wiring:

OR splice the white and blue wires off of your existing trailer harness. I would recommend against this. The addition of the Curt harness allows you to remove it or swap the harness if you mess it up. Splicing the wire incorrectly would just mess up your existing lines. I just did the same install the other day and it took a couple of minutes. I could it back to stock in about 1 min.
When I get my lights installed, I do not want anything to be plugged into the 7 pin or the 4 pin plugs. I do not care about removing these lights, like I said they are a permanent install. That's why I bought Rigid is for their warranty. All I need to know this point is which wire I need to splice into that controls the backup light for the 7 pin connector. It looks generally like it should be the center wire. Can anyone confirm this?

mac1983620

Reaction score
Purple. The backside of the plug matches the front so it's the wire in the middle.
My center wire is black, that's throwing me off. That would not be a ground right?

Attachments

• 20191021_165152.jpg
    20191021_165152.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 174

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just ran these last weekend and the y splitter hodgkins splitter made this so easy and as stated above it is all hidden underneath and only takes 30 seconds to go back to stock if needed.

mac1983620

Reaction score
I got it done. I just stripped a small portion of the I line wire without removing it, wrapped the wires, and electrical taped em. Mounted the lights on the top of the bumper. Will get pics later. Thanks everyone.

rsmeanie

Reaction score
My center wire is black, that's throwing me off. That would not be a ground right?

I thought it was black myself but someone on here said it was purple. I figured it was a dark purple since I couldn't tell from underneath.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I got it done. I just stripped a small portion of the I line wire without removing it, wrapped the wires, and electrical taped em. Mounted the lights on the top of the bumper. Will get pics later. Thanks everyone.
Twist-n-tape never lasts. Solder it now, before the stripped wires get all green and crusty.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can we see the picture how you mount the light bracket?

I will post a picture later today. What I did was get stainless steel pipe tensioner couplers 3-5" round type and just put them around the hitch bar and cinch in the U mount that came with the lights. Since it is stainless it won't rust and it is adjustable anytime by loosening the band with a socket and re-adjusting. left backup light.jpg right backup light.jpg

Last edited:

Justin21771

Reaction score
I just ran these last weekend and the y splitter hodgkins splitter made this so easy and as stated above it is all hidden underneath and only takes 30 seconds to go back to stock if needed.
Do you have a link to the splitter you are talking about?

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score

cra1g

Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread