5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which one!?

BrianM

Reaction score
I am trying to decide between 2 2019s, one with Etorque and the other a Bighorn with a Sunroof. I don’t believe I need an Etorque, I drove one and was in the middle about it, the truck was good but I would be concerned about long term reliability. like the Bighorn, but I’ve never had a sunroof. Are the sunroofs in the classics something to be concerned with leaking? Thanks

Davidbt

Reaction score
When I was shopping for a used 1500, It was really hard to find a non e-torq. I just don't think it's that great. Just adds more complexity.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've seen no reason to avoid etorque, but a sunroof was a deal killer for me. I had to drive several hours to find a Limited without a sunroof. Most dealers in my area order them with sunroofs.

I've owned several vehicles with sunroofs and even with the shade closed, they radiate more heat through the glass into the cab. They also reduce headroom and are noisier in the wind and rain even if they don't leak. Since I don't drive around looking up at the stars, they add no value whatsoever for me.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide between 2 2019s, one with Etorque and the other a Bighorn with a Sunroof. I don’t believe I need an Etorque, I drove one and was in the middle about it, the truck was good but I would be concerned about long term reliability. like the Bighorn, but I’ve never had a sunroof. Are the sunroofs in the classics something to be concerned with leaking? Thanks
It's rather pointless to ask our opinion on which truck you should buy. Especially when you don't include enough information about them. It even sounds like one of them is a 1500 Classic, which is a 4th gen. To answer your last question, it's possible to develop a leak anywhere there is a hole in the sheet metal. There have been issues with sunroof related leaks, of course, but I wouldn't say it's a common problem in either 4th or 5th gens.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 5th gen with a sunroof. No leaks so far (knock on wood), and I used to be dead set against them. I love mine. Noise I can't tell the difference as these trucks are quiet in general, and I had ceramic tint applied to it for the heat transfer.

Like others have said more information would help, but I would recommend almost any 5th gen over a classic.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'd be more concerned about the CHMSL or rear window water leak than etorque

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's rather pointless to ask our opinion on which truck you should buy. Especially when you don't include enough information about them. It even sounds like one of them is a 1500 Classic, which is a 4th gen. To answer your last question, it's possible to develop a leak anywhere there is a hole in the sheet metal. There have been issues with sunroof related leaks, of course, but I wouldn't say it's a common problem in either 4th or 5th gens.
I don't think they are classics. No eTorque or Bighorn trim in a classic.

I would avoid eTorque since Ram has discontinued it's use after only 6 years, nothing really really bad with it but the battery is $1500 and likely need to pay Ram to program it when it dies down the road, but they are both used trucks, there's no point making any assumptions which one would be better as only a mechanic who checks it out would have any idea, and even then unlikely a mechanic would know to look in the spots Ram has problems with like headliners etc.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't think they are classics. No eTorque or Bighorn trim in a classic.

I would avoid eTorque since Ram has discontinued it's use after only 6 years, nothing really really bad with it but the battery is $1500 and likely need to pay Ram to program it when it dies down the road, but they are both used trucks, there's no point making any assumptions which one would be better as only a mechanic who checks it out would have any idea, and even then unlikely a mechanic would know to look in the spots Ram has problems with like headliners etc.
No Etorque classic but you could certainly get a Big Horn Classic in 2019

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
No Etorque classic but you could certainly get a Big Horn Classic in 2019
Exactly! In fact, you could get a Big Horn or Laramie Classic through 2020. After that it was limited to the lowest trim levels and Warlock.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Exactly! In fact, you could get a Big Horn or Laramie Classic through 2020. After that it was limited to the lowest trim levels and Warlock.
Oh interesting. I thought they used different trim names must of been 3rd Gen I was looking at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/