5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which Muffler Only To Go With

Jmmoore3

Reaction score
Watched every exhaust clip known to man on YouTube and want some real world thoughts/experience.
First I will say I am looking for a muffler ONLY, not the direct bolt ons or anything cat back(b2 fab/flowfx etc). I have a great shop that will do the install. I will be keeping resonators as well. I am looking for a moderate tone, nothing aggressive loud at all. Just a bit louder when I want it to be and deeper but otherwise pretty tame, drone is also a factor to keep in mind.
I have it narrowed down to Flowmaster FlowFx muffler or Borla Pro XS. Both seem to be moderate, Flowmaster even a bit more quiet possibly. Anyone have experience running just one of these mufflers and could share their experience, I would really appreciate it!

Last edited:

chyzzz

Reaction score
I have the flow fx. It's got a similar to stock tone but slightly louder and more aggressive under acceleration. I like it. It's got more sound but not too loud on the highway. Has a little bit of the burble at idle. I think it sounds better in person than on phone video.

Jmmoore3

Reaction score
I have the flow fx. It's got a similar to stock tone but slightly louder and more aggressive under acceleration. I like it. It's got more sound but not too loud on the highway. Has a little bit of the burble at idle. I think it sounds better in person than on phone video.
Nice! I actually ended up ordering it last night. Exactly what I’m looking for, just a bit louder then stock but not very noticeable when you don’t want it to be (so wife doesn’t give me 3rd degree 😂). Did you have a shop install, what did they charge you if you don’t mind me asking?

I noticed that same idle burble with others as well. Did you plug weep holes on your resonators? That seems to clean up the sound a bit. Thinking I may seal with some JB weld and see.

rubrduk

Reaction score
I have the Flowmaster Super 40, and i had the rear resonators deleted

it has a nice rumble, but there is a mild drone

the best way I can describe it...if you listen to music (at any volume), the drone is almost completely unnoticeable...but I have an hour commute and often listen to spoken-word podcasts and audiobooks, and it took me a week or two to get used to the drone.

I am however happy in the Super 40 choice as it adds a nice truck rumble

SmittysTrk

Reaction score
I haven't taken delivery yet on my new Big Horn but the 2010 I have now I put a Muflex 24" on and love it. One of the first mods I'm doing is putting another one on the new truck. Back in the day Muflex was the go to muffler for the Gen 4s. Haven't seen anyone on here even mention them. Great sound then with no drone. I'm hoping the same holds true today.

chyzzz

Reaction score
Nice! I actually ended up ordering it last night. Exactly what I’m looking for, just a bit louder then stock but not very noticeable when you don’t want it to be (so wife doesn’t give me 3rd degree 😂). Did you have a shop install, what did they charge you if you don’t mind me asking?

I noticed that same idle burble with others as well. Did you plug weep holes on your resonators? That seems to clean up the sound a bit. Thinking I may seal with some JB weld and see.
Sorry for the late reply. I had a shop install it for like 60 bucks. No weep hole plugging but I might look into it.

Users who are viewing this thread