5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

which load rating is best for a comfort ride?

reapur

Reaction score
I have a 22 limited with air suspension and night edition wheels.
Time for a new set of wheels and tires. Looking to go to 18" wheels but I'm undecided on the tires.
I have a list that I've been researching, like toyo at3 and wranglers, I'm seeing mixed reviews for the wildpeak at4w.
I went to discount and it looks like the wildpeak at3w are extinct now, and others I'm looking at probably in size 275/70/18 seem to come in E1 loads ratings.
I'm still wrapping my head around all this.

Is E1 bad for a comfortable road trip ride?

Thanks

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
Depends on your sensitivity. The E rated tires definitely detract from the ride comfort a bit, but not too much in my opinion. I run E rated tires on my '21 Laramie and it is my daily driver. It is still far more comfortable on E rated tires than any FORD or Chevy I have been in, and only slightly less comfortable that stock.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m running Kendra klever r/t 35x12.5r20 load F set at 37psi front and rear at 34 and it’s a nice plush ride. I believe the atw3 is discontinued and the new flagship is the atw4 if I understand it correctly that tire is supposed to perform better in snow and water dissipation

Last edited:

reapur

Reaction score
Thanks guys. maybe the air suspension and the active noise cancel on the limited probably make up for the E toughness.
Not so easy, this.
I'm currently looking at:
Goodyear Wrangler UltraTerrain AT ( a friend recommendation, discount exclusive)
Cooper Discoverer ATP II ( I think also a discount exclusive)
Toyo Tire Open Country A/T III
BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO3

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If ride quality is a priority forget about all terrain tires and look for a quality all season street tire like the Michelin Defender. A 275/65/18 should be about the same size as the tires that came on your 22 inch rims.

reapur

Reaction score
Watch as well, not all 18's will fit the RAM brakes. I personally wouldn't go lower then 20's, especially on a Limited.
I did ask about that at the dealership. The TRX has 18" wheels, I didn't dig into it too much but the sales guy thought it would be OK. I'll make sure to double check.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did ask about that at the dealership. The TRX has 18" wheels, I didn't dig into it too much but the sales guy thought it would be OK. I'll make sure to double check.
Yeah, SOME will fit, but not all. Definitely research so you don't get stuck with a set that doesn't.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you accept 20's, the majority of 275/60/20 will be C range, i.e. a better ride than E range. There are only a very few C range in the 18, as you have found out. The E range also hits the mpg a bit.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you accept 20's, the majority of 275/60/20 will be C range, i.e. a better ride than E range. There are only a very few C range in the 18, as you have found out. The E range also hits the mpg a bit.

Given the same tire diameter, an E rated tire on an 18 inch rim should still ride better than a C rated tire on a 20 inch rim due to more sidewall with the 18 inch rim.

Users who are viewing this thread