5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

which lift will maintain the factory ride quality

jthorn75

Reaction score
im sure this has been asked before, but outside of the coilover set up by bds what would be the best way to keep ride quality, I would like to lift the truck but i want it to ride well when i have my family in the car. Its 100% on the street so i am not worrying about off road performance, just purely on road manners. thanks!

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score
im sure this has been asked before, but outside of the coilover set up by bds what would be the best way to keep ride quality, I would like to lift the truck but i want it to ride well when i have my family in the car. Its 100% on the street so i am not worrying about off road performance, just purely on road manners. thanks!
Just a guess but the Mopar lift is probably a good bet.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well it really depends on why you want to lift. Do you just want to be able to add 35” tires, are you looking solely for looks, do you feel your 4x4 doesn’t resemble such etc ? The more information you provide, the better we will be able to help you achieve what it is that you are looking for.

jthorn75

Reaction score
i am looking at adding a 33 inch tire, i want the truck to sit level or slightly nose up, the mopar lift seems to level the rear higher as wel, i have been looking at the 4 inch bds( whats the difference between the 4 inch and 6 inch?) and the mopar and use the front or the readylift system. still open but wanted to lay out some information.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well if you just want to add 33” tires then I suggest just adding a 2” spacer.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mopar lift rides pretty darn nice. Add orp springs to the front and your pretty much level.

jthorn75

Reaction score
from what I have read the ORP springs will add stiffness to the ride, correct?
Well if you just want to add 33” tires then I suggest just adding a 2” spacer.
is the a spacer you would recommend?

jthorn75

Reaction score
Mopar lift rides pretty darn nice. Add orp springs to the front and your pretty much level.
this looks like an awesome kit, i had been reading the ORP springs stiffen up the ride, is that right?

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
this looks like an awesome kit, i had been reading the ORP springs stiffen up the ride, is that right?
I can't compare it to other lift kits or spacers but I can say it's pretty close to factory ride even with the ORP springs in the front. I don't know that anyone has proven that the ORP springs are any stiffer than the non ORP in any way but just longer by an inch.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
The truck is not gonna be as smooth with the spacer. I had a 2.5" spacer and i took it off after 6 months just for this reason.
The Mopar lift kit is going to be dead-on in terms of ride quality.

Chuck19

Reaction score
I can’t speak to ride quality on a 1500 with a lift kit but, I have lifted 3 different Jeep Wranglers, 2 Ford F–150’s, a Ford F-250 and a Chevy Tahoe and each and every time the ride suffered from stock. Whether it was a spacerkit to level the front, a full 4”BDS kit with Fox shocks, a 4.5” Carli Kit with King shocks or anything in between you will have a stiffer riding truck period. The lift kits all have a stiffer spring rating and the shocks as well are valved at a much higher pressure than stock shocks (even custom Carli shocks either fox or king) it’s just the way it is. Then combine the larger AT or MT tires and there is a huge change from the stock ride. Anyone that tells you different is in denial lol! Now I’m not discouraging you from lifting I just want you to be fully aware that the ride will suffer. Through my experiences and many thousands of dollars that is why I am choosing not to lift this truck because I enjoy the ride so much I know it will suffer if I lift. Just my 2 cents but shooting you straight! I have enjoyed all my lifted vehicles and if that’s what you want then I say go for it just know what you will have as an end result.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can’t speak to ride quality on a 1500 with a lift kit but, I have lifted 3 different Jeep Wranglers, 2 Ford F–150’s, a Ford F-250 and a Chevy Tahoe and each and every time the ride suffered from stock. Whether it was a spacerkit to level the front, a full 4”BDS kit with Fox shocks, a 4.5” Carli Kit with King shocks or anything in between you will have a stiffer riding truck period. The lift kits all have a stiffer spring rating and the shocks as well are valved at a much higher pressure than stock shocks (even custom Carli shocks either fox or king) it’s just the way it is. Then combine the larger AT or MT tires and there is a huge change from the stock ride. Anyone that tells you different is in denial lol! Now I’m not discouraging you from lifting I just want you to be fully aware that the ride will suffer. Through my experiences and many thousands of dollars that is why I am choosing not to lift this truck because I enjoy the ride so much I know it will suffer if I lift. Just my 2 cents but shooting you straight! I have enjoyed all my lifted vehicles and if that’s what you want then I say go for it just know what you will have as an end result.
Well said @Chuck19

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Agreed!

jthorn75

Reaction score
I have had a truck with a 12 inch lift on 38s but that was years ago and was only me and not something i bring a family in so i dont even remember the stiffness lol. You are right there naturally will be a change, the goal is to figure out which would provide the least amount of change. I think this really comes down to how much im willing to spend lol

Toothninja

Reaction score
Forgive me if I’m wrong, but couldn’t you just level the truck and get 33s under it easily? Which, depending on the brand, may be an awfully nice ride and much easier on the pocketbook! But that’s coming from someone with a 6” lift...

MarkB67

Reaction score
All you need is a Motofab 2” spacer for 33’s , if you do a 4or 6 inch lift your truck is going to look horrible ! You will have way to much space between the top of your tires to the bottom of the fender

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
a lot of good info here. i'd just add that some of this comes down to preference and is a little subjective. I prefer a stiffer ride as long as it equates to better handling and confidence. I like feeling more of the road when i drive. You'll definitely hear people saying that their BDS kit is a better ride than stock. I've never had a BDS lift, but it's known as a great quality lift, and i think what people are really saying is that the ride is a lot more confident and handling is better controlled. You're definitely going to have a stiffer ride regardless of what you do. Tire size, sidewall, type, psi etc have a big impact in ride quality as well.
If i hit the lotto tomorrow, id buy a BDS lift. Realistically, im sticking with bilstein 5100's as i don't need that type of ground clearance as a true lift would bring.

Miked513

Reaction score
The truck is not gonna be as smooth with the spacer. I had a 2.5" spacer and i took it off after 6 months just for this reason.
The Mopar lift kit is going to be dead-on in terms of ride quality.

What spacer and model did you have? I have a 20’ 1500 Laramie 4wd with the ORP and I’m looking at getting the Motofab 2.5” and upgrade the UCA’s... reason for 2.5” is I have a ranch hand grille guard and it appears to have brought the nose down a bit more and the difference between front a rear is closer to 3” now. It will leave a small amount of rake but 2” won’t be enough I know. Anyway, appreciate any input you can offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
What spacer and model did you have? I have a 20’ 1500 Laramie 4wd with the ORP and I’m looking at getting the Motofab 2.5” and upgrade the UCA’s... reason for 2.5” is I have a ranch hand grille guard and it appears to have brought the nose down a bit more and the difference between front a rear is closer to 3” now. It will leave a small amount of rake but 2” won’t be enough I know. Anyway, appreciate any input you can offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had the Motofab mounted on the truck.
I really liked the way the truck looked but I felt the harshness in ride quality and this was a deal breaker for me, I prefer a good looking truck and a better ride rather than a better looking truck and less soft ride.
Also, I didn't do that for bigger tires, so if you have bigger tires in mind and more mods with it... do it. It's not that bad.

I think 2.5 is the most you can do, taking this thing out was so hard, my friend and I had to push on the lower control arm with a 5' crow bar. It seats there in so much pressure and I bet it's not good for the other components, it causes a lot of wear.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I have the 4 inch BDS lift with stock springs/shocks and honestly I don't think the lift changed how the truck rode at all. The tires (E load) made a small difference, feeling a little stiffer, but the suspension itself feels the same to me. I would assume the coilover setup would be even better than stock. There's still part of me that's considering going with Fox or King 2.5s lol

Users who are viewing this thread