5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which eTorque engine to get?

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
I'm planning to order a Longhorn this fall, once all the options are available (specifically, I'm waiting on all three engines, the Ramboxes, and the full BUG being available). I test drove a Limited with the Hemi last weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. Without having driven either engine, my choice is going to come down to the Pentastar or the Hemi eTorque, presuming the Pentastar is in fact an option on the Longhorn.

For additional context, I currently have a Hyundai Azera. I don't drive like a granny, but I'm fine with a more leisurely 0-60 time (within reason, of course). I'll use the truck for pretty light duty, mostly commuting, road tripping, and getting supplies for house/yard projects from time to time. Possibly towing a ~3000lb pop up camper once in a blue moon, but that's about it.

For those with the Pentastar in the 4th gen Ram, how is it? On paper, if it is available with the Longhorn as indicated in the brochure, it's the engine I'm leaning towards. As long as there isn't a gas pedal lag and acceleration is decent, I can't see any downsides to it. I liked the Hemi in the Limited I drove last weekend, so I figure the Hemi eTorque would be a safe bet if the Pentastar turns out to be meh.

So, Pentastar or Hemi eTorque?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds like the V6 would work for you. I'd recommend you go to the dealer and test drive a 2018 V6 knowing the 2019 eTorque will add a little pep. You should be able to then make the most informed decision possible today.

habu987

Reaction score
Sounds like the V6 would work for you. I'd recommend you go to the dealer and test drive a 2018 V6 knowing the 2019 eTorque will add a little pep. You should be able to then make the most informed decision possible today.
Yeah, I'd thought about it last weekend, but the dealership I went to didn't have any 2018 4x4 V6 models on the lot, just 4x2 ones. Gonna see if I can test drive one at a different dealership after work on Thursday.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have the Pentastar in my 2014 Outdoorsman. Love it. I do have the 3.55 gears so don't know what your options are for 2019. I do tow a Seadoo so probably close to 1500lbs. When towing it I have to look in the rear view mirror all the time to see if its still there(can hardly feel it)

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
2019 Ram 3.6l V6 with eTorque
305hp and 269 lb ft

2008 Ram 4.7l v8
310hp and 329 lb ft

2004 Ram 4.7l V8
235hp and 295lbft

The 4.7 was designed to replace the 318...the 3.6l ended up replacing the 4.7

So, the 3.6 is the small V8 of the late 90s...302,305,318...

It will be a great motor for anyone not running this truck near its capacity.

habu987

Reaction score
Tried to test drive a 2018 Big Horn 4x4 with the 3.6 today...despite getting an email confirmation this morning from the dealership that it was available for a test drive, when I got there they said it was in the shop and was the only 3.6 they had. They tried to get me to test drive one of their 948,283 3.0s they had on the lot, but I declined.

Gonna try a different dealership tomorrow, they've supposedly got several 4x4 3.6 Big Horns available on the lot.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the Pentastar in a 2015 Laramie 4x2 Quad 3.55 rear gear. It does very well in this trim. I regularly tow a 6400lb travel trailer. Towed almost 7000 miles with this combo. I towed 320 miles TODAY from Asheville NC to Mammoth Cave KY through the mountains. Got 11.8 mpg on the trip computer. It’s got guts for a normally aspirated v6.

With the 2nd gen Pentastar and eTorque in the 2019 it should be plenty of engine for your needs. Rear gear is important though, don’t get the 3.21. Get the 3.55 or better yet 3.92.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@Zeronet that seems excellent for what you got. Man my V10 tows my 6500 lb camper like nobody's business but it only get 8 to 9 mpg. I may have to check out this etorque v6

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Zeronet that seems excellent for what you got. Man my V10 tows my 6500 lb camper like nobody's business but it only get 8 to 9 mpg. I may have to check out this etorque v6
Devildodge, I bought the truck before I ever considered a travel trailer. I can’t say I RECOMMEND my current setup for towing as often a I do in the mountains but I can say it does the job. I would say power is fine towing 6400lbs on flat ground and hills at 65mph. When climbing mountain grades, though it’s 4th gear, 60mph. But again it does it and gets 9.5-13mpg doing it. MPG mainly depends on wind. Headwinds = 10mpg, tailwinds = 12-13mpg. Mountains have no effect on mpg, average mpg falls going uphill then average comes right back going downhill.

The original poster is planning an occasional tow of a 3,000lb trailer. That’s no sweat at all for my truck and the 2019 will be even better.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Yeah, even at that the truck is pretty amazing. I posted the numbers and well it is near 360 magnum power numbers. If I was in the market to replace her car with a 1500...I would seriously consider this...she would haul the bikes and kayaks and I would haul the camper and wood. Might have to think about this route. Thanks @Zeronet

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@Ram Envy In another thread I posted the numbers...but this new V6 out performs most V8s Ram offered over the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gen. The Hemi arrived for the 3rd Gen and if you look at the 4th Gen, the V6 replaced the small V8 all together,

I think it would do you just fine.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Would the V6 etorque be underpowered for a cc 5'7" 4wd with little towing but 400lb tongue wt mc hitch lift.

I have the normal V6 in my current 2014 Outdoorsman with 3.55 gears. If I don't remember to put it in tow/haul mode I will lose 5-10km/h(3-6mph) going up a hill and then the tranny will jump down 2 or 3 gears. If I have it in tow/haul mode I only lose a couple km/h and then it will drop down a gear. This is with my Seadoo and trailer weighs between 1500-2000 lbs.

Users who are viewing this thread