5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which Bed Cap/Topper/Shell/Canopy For My Needs? Listed Inside

lmike6453

Reaction score
First time truck owner and I started a list after a lot of research for things to look for in a topper for general EDC preparedness gear and 2 dogs. I have Rebel trim 5'7" bed option, crew cab.
I'm thinking cab-high to not hurt MPG as bad as a mid-rise, but open to either if gas mileage is similar. I rarely tow anything ever.

- Windoors on each side of bed that slide w/ vent screen, and hinge open to reach in
- Center rear lock that syncs with keyfob
- Front center window removable for cleaning, and slide-able for airflow to dogs
- Carpeted
- LEDs wired into brake light connection
- Roof Rack

Are there any specific model numbers that are great for our 5th gen RAMs? I want quality that won't leak or squeak or rub against paint!
Leer, ARE, Snugtop are the brands I gather but their websites are quite vague for product comparisons.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
Out of that lineup, ARE CX Evolve or Revo would be my top choice but you're right, I don't see where either actually fits the 5th Gens.

Boston

Reaction score
Anyway to power a fan when you are stopped? Suppose at worst a battery unit like ryobi or others make.

Not sure about sliding windows v flip out. Does anyone know if flip out windows are safe to use at interstate speeds of 75

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Out of that lineup, ARE CX Evolve or Revo would be my top choice but you're right, I don't see where either actually fits the 5th Gens.
Call them. Everyone I spoke to about my LEER 122 High Rise cap said it was not available for
the 5th Gen 6'-4" Bed. I called the Factory Outlet and found out it WAS being made. I drove to
Milton PA to pick it up. $2700 installed, Color Matched and w/ large Windoors on the side.
Local dealer wanted $3500.

Malodave

Attachments

• 2021RAMLaramie-LEER-122_1.jpg
    2021RAMLaramie-LEER-122_1.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 2021RAMLaramie-LEER-122_2.jpg
    2021RAMLaramie-LEER-122_2.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 2021RAMLaramie-LEER-122_3.jpg
    2021RAMLaramie-LEER-122_3.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 42

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyway to power a fan when you are stopped? Suppose at worst a battery unit like ryobi or others make.

Not sure about sliding windows v flip out. Does anyone know if flip out windows are safe to use at interstate speeds of 75

I am installing two 200mm 12V muffin fans with a PWM dimmer to adjust the Speed. They will
be mount to the windoors with a acrylic sheet that i will be laser cutting out.
Fan:
PWM Dimmer:

Malodave

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the ARE Z2, picked it up from a dealer in Mount Joy, PA. I came with fold down-sliding front window and carpeted. I did not get the roof racks or side opening windows because I never used them on my previous cap in over 22 years. It's cab high, looks great but coming from a midrise I can no longer load dirt bike or riding mower. 20220805_131701.jpg

Rodgie

Reaction score
I have the ARE Z2, picked it up from a dealer in Mount Joy, PA. I came with fold down-sliding front window and carpeted. I did not get the roof racks or side opening windows because I never used them on my previous cap in over 22 years. It's cab high, looks great but coming from a midrise I can no longer load dirt bike or riding mower. View attachment 136989
That looks really sharp!

Users who are viewing this thread