5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which bakflip?

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looking at the mx4 and f1, I like the mx4 for the matte black finish but the say the f1 panels are reinforced with fiberglass fibers to make them stronger. How strong or delicate is top against dings dents with everyday normal use.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’ve had the MX4 and it’s been bulletproof for my needs. Now with that being the case I honestly use mine at most 2xs a month..

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
MX4 will not hold up to even the smallest hail storm. Truck took no damage, but the tonneau was covered in small dents. If you push hard enough with your thumb you can dent the panels.

I've never had the F1 to comment.

JoeEcodiesel

Reaction score
I know its not the one you asked about but I just got the Rough Country low profile for mine, and it fits great! Idk how it'll do with wet weather because I literally just installed it but reviews seem really good. Worth looking into as an option. Good luck
eb7c97e5573323bfefbb3cc422a7fb79.jpg

2020 Laramie Ecodiesel, Crew cab, 4x4, Level 2, Night Edition

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know its not the one you asked about but I just got the Rough Country low profile for mine, and it fits great! Idk how it'll do with wet weather because I literally just installed it but reviews seem really good. Worth looking into as an option. Good luck

Thx, I'm limited due to ram boxes unfortunately

TVANVA

Reaction score
I've had the MX4 for close to a year and no dings or problems. I am conscious what I place on top of the cover, but I put hand and garden tools, trash bags, lumber up there all the time without problems. I am careful to set it, not drag it. Never been though a hail storm however.

There are a few drops of water in the bed after a heavy rain, but less than I would expect from the wide tailgate gap at the corners. Never got around to putting a foam seal there as others have done.

It works with my RAM boxes without any interference. Since it sets on rails between the RAM boxes it is virtually flush with the tops of the boxes, so it doesn't look like an afterthought.

The only minor thing I have noticed is that the distance between the MX4 RAM box rails from side to side is less than 48 inches. This means to load full plywood sheets, they have to be loaded below those rails, meaning the tailgate has to be down. Not a big deal, it just means I put a strap across the end of the sheet to make sure it doesn't accidentally slip out.

This is my first truck bed cover and I wasn't sure if I'd like it, but I wouldn't be without it now. I'd buy an MX4 again.

Kooch80

Reaction score
i didnt have any issues with dents or dings with my MX4 on my 2014. i would even use it to lay on while shooting my rifle, i am about 200 lbs.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the Mopar branded version. Can you dent it? Yes. Is mine dented? No. I've had 2 Bakflip tonneaus with the same type panels and they have held up fine. My first one sat outside all the time in Florida through a couple of hurricanes and occasional hail.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your input, I think I'm going to get my mx4 on order tomorrow.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Guessing you can't fold that one against the cab like the MX4. Does it have some kind of quick removal to make up for that? Would suck to have to unbolt the tonneau every time you needed the full bed.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How secure are the BakFlip covers? Should I worry about someone breaking in if I buy one just for vacation?
How secure are the BakFlip covers? Should I worry about someone breaking in if I buy one just for vacation?
You can break into them but with it closed I doubt anyone is going to take a chance to break into it without knowing if there's anything in there or not.....

Users who are viewing this thread