5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where's The Splash Pan?

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
Lying under the beast this afternoon to plan an oil filter relocation because one of these won't fit because of something (with hoses attached) wedged between the oil filter and engine block, I noticed there's no splash pan between the first and second crossmember. I can see strait up to the bottom of the radiator, and the front of the engine is gonna get real wet here in the Pacific Northwest.
Should there be a splash pan, or is it supposed to be open under there?

Steve

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Lying under the beast this afternoon to plan an oil filter relocation because one of these won't fit because of something (with hoses attached) wedged between the oil filter and engine block, I noticed there's no splash pan between the first and second crossmember. I can see strait up to the bottom of the radiator, and the front of the engine is gonna get real wet here in the Pacific Northwest.
Should there be a splash pan, or is it supposed to be open under there?

Steve
They're all open. I remember someone asking the same question when I did an early review of the eTorque system...and provided a nice photo of the pavement below. I wonder if this will become a popular aftermarket accessory?

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
They're all open. I remember someone asking the same question when I did an early review of the eTorque system...and provided a nice photo of the pavement below. I wonder if this will become a popular aftermarket accessory?
Although all that open area presents opportunities galore for placement of a relocated oil filter, the front of the engine is susceptible to damage by sand, mud and other debris flung into the engine compartment from below by the tires.
Gonna have to put something there.
Thanks,
Steve

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Although all that open area presents opportunities galore for placement of a relocated oil filter, the front of the engine is susceptible to damage by sand, mud and other debris flung into the engine compartment from below by the tires.
Gonna have to put something there.
Thanks,
Steve

Okay, this one made me look. I checked mine and that area and the engine is clean as could be, in fact, just like new (almost). Since most models will have the Active Air Dam, I suspect that at higher air flows the Air Dam reduces the amount of air current to that part of the vehicle.

Best regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 003728 miles.

Big3MG

Reaction score
I relocated my oil filter on my 2020 RAM 1500 Rebel. Purchased a high quality set with custom made -10 AN lines and fittings that are crimped. Don’t go cheap in this. I drilled and tapped mounting holes on the forward frame member just aft of the radiator. It’s high enough to keep out of the way and if forward of the wheels then no debris to worry about. Hoses measure at 17” in length. I’m able to use a bigger filter (same as used on an early 2000 Hummer diesel). I bought a different takeoff plate that has a bit of a lower profile. Ordered everything from improvedracing.com in Orlando. Very high quality. I’m not used to working with AN fittings and had a bit of a struggle to get the o rings to seat fully but eventually everything fit right.

Attachments

• 7B276F2C-BF53-4E3E-BFC7-42BA802CF644.jpeg
    7B276F2C-BF53-4E3E-BFC7-42BA802CF644.jpeg
    126.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 581C47CF-2F8F-4EF5-90FC-58628AADFF56.jpeg
    581C47CF-2F8F-4EF5-90FC-58628AADFF56.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 1C443BC1-D5DF-4B3D-BEE5-3AE8E76639EE.jpeg
    1C443BC1-D5DF-4B3D-BEE5-3AE8E76639EE.jpeg
    261.3 KB · Views: 59

Big3MG

Reaction score
Original filter and new size with the relocation kit.

Attachments

• 8AB50C11-7C21-48EC-801D-180D3D2AACCA.jpeg
    8AB50C11-7C21-48EC-801D-180D3D2AACCA.jpeg
    120.4 KB · Views: 36
  • FE6161B1-1D66-47CB-8897-AFD9B3B32C99.jpeg
    FE6161B1-1D66-47CB-8897-AFD9B3B32C99.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 35

SueHarada

Reaction score
Well, I did the same thing, several times over. Have a very high quality relocation kit, moroso kit, good fittings, etc. But, still leaked at the joint fitting, no matter what torque, over time, slow drip, but a drip none the less. I gave up, just have to deal with the mess spinning off that needle **** filter, what idiot engr designed the location. big *** hemi, small filter in the most ridiculous location.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If anyone is looking for where to get hoses, search in your area for Parker hoses. Chances are, there will be a store (with different company names) that can make high quality hoses while you wait. For example, Colliflower in the DC area is a chain of stores that heavy equipment guys rely on for good hoses. I use them for marine also.

SueHarada

Reaction score
the hoses I had made are high quality end fittings etc. High psi hydraulic fittings. The problem was they leaked over time where the male female joints come together. The 5.7 oil psi hovers between 43-55 psi. I just got fed up chking all the time to see if its leaking. leaked very little, but should not leak period. Went back to oem and one size up on the filter .

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It seems that hydrolic hoses for equipment as @djevox eluded to would stand up well. If your little oil pump is putting out more pressure than a backhoe arm or a logsplitter, I think there is going to be a bigger problem than an oil drip! 😁

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No need for fancy hydraulic hoses to be made. Get -an fittings/line and make your own hoses. If properly assembled, they won't leak.

Users who are viewing this thread