5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where to lead antenna wire?

Arkaye

Reaction score
Hey guys, new member, first post, apologies if this isn't the right section. I searched for a while and couldn't find anyone with the same question.

We use vhf/uhf radios at work (logging) and in my last vehicle (old service van) if I needed to do a service call I would open passenger side door, stick the antenna on the roof and close the door. Never cared about any pinching or damage to the door rubbers.

Now I've purchased a 2019 all new ram 1500 and although I've no intention of bringing it to the bush anytime soon for service calls. I really like the idea of permanently installing a radio into my truck. My issues are that I don't know a) where to put antenna so I get great performance without obstructing or simply looking ugly and b) where to lead the wire out of the cab.

Anyone have suggestions or maybe encountered this themselves?

lhn

Reaction score
Drill a 3/4" hole on the rear roof and install and NMO mount. You can run the wires under the headliner and into the front or back. Having the antenna up high at 6' off the ground will make a world of difference.

RunsWithBeer

Reaction score
If you don't want to cut a hole in your roof for the NMO or if you need to use parking garages, you can use a Comet lip mount on the front hood and take the antenna wire through the pass-through grommet in the firewall on the drivers side. I've also mounted antenna's to 4 door trucks using a lip mount on the vertical edge, near the top, front of the rear, driver's side door, which will get the antenna up around roof height. You can then use a fold-over antenna if you need to enter low clearance structures, by reaching out your window and fold over the antenna without exiting the vehicle.

If you do use a lip mount be sure to solidly ground the hood or door with a good strap.

Be careful operating full VHF or UHF wattage as some of the electronics in our trucks may not take kindly to strong RF interference.

Arkaye

Reaction score
Oh I hadn't thought of interference.

In the service van I just had a small 25w radio but I was planning to buy the same 80w that our big trucks use. Now I'll have to rethink the whole thing.

Moe1962

Reaction score
There is a thread here somewhere, where Ham radios were installed and antenna ideas and placements. Might help you out in what you are looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread