5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where is the quality?

CJRam1500

Reaction score
I have owned Chrysler, Dodge, and now Ram products for most of my life. Cars and SUVs that other said were crap, I actually liked....a lot! My Dodge Durango gave me a little trouble but never left me stranded and the only reason I got rid of it was because of the rust from mid-west salt!

I now drive a '19 Ram 1500. I love the ride, acceleration, and general comfort, but I am questioning how a truck this expensive can have so many problems with just 50,000 miles. The radio and backup camera has been replaced multiple times. Wiring harnesses have been replaced. This past week I took it in because the exhaust sounded horrible and weather stripping had folded over. It turns out two bolts that hold two separate sections together cracked. Dealer wanted to charge me $300 to repair. I talked them down to $200 because $300 to remove bolts is just crazy. Not to mention that I can't even conceive how bolts would break on a 2019 anything. What is worse, my extended Max Care policy didn't cover the bolts or weather stripping.

It gets better. I asked for a transmission flush and the dealer told me I should wait because it was expensive on this vehicle. They asked why I wanted it done at 50K miles. I told them because I have a slow downshift from 2 to 1. Banging my head on what do for next steps. It shouldn't take seconds for a trans to shift.

Do others have so many problems with their trucks or am I just "lucky"?

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about all your issues.
19 was the first year of the 5th Gen. Goes without saying that mechanical and quality issues can be a real problem that first model year. That’s why I wait for 2-3 years till everything is worked out.

All the electronics on these trucks is mind boggling and amazed there aren’t more issues than there are.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why not have them look at concern rather than try to fix it with a "flush"? There was an update for the TCM for that concern.

Read your "maxcare" policy, you will learn that it doesn't cover everything like the salesmen said it does.
Mopar Maxcare will absolutely cover broken exhaust manifold bolts and/or a cracked manifold. Trim, no it doesn't cover that.

CJRam1500

Reaction score
Why not have them look at concern rather than try to fix it with a "flush"? There was an update for the TCM for that concern.

Read your "maxcare" policy, you will learn that it doesn't cover everything like the salesmen said it does.
I have had them look at the transmission before. Standard unable to duplicate response.

CJRam1500

Reaction score
Mopar Maxcare will absolutely cover broken exhaust manifold bolts and/or a cracked manifold. Trim, no it doesn't cover that.

You are correct! I acutally had the driver's side manifold replaced already. Unfortunately this time, the bolts that broke were on two sections of exhaust pipe where the pipes are joined.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a ton of issues with my 2020, most were resolved by software updates and the biggest happened just after the factory warranty ran out and the extended warranty took over. Luckily it covered the DEF tank or I’d have been out over $2000.

I traded in for an identically built 2022 and have close to 3000km already with zero issues so far, which I know seems low mileage but by this point my 2020 had already been on a flat bed twice for a no start issue.

With all of the electronics, computers and luxury crammed into vehicles now and much of it being new to trucks there’s going to be issues unfortunately.

Donovo

Reaction score
I have owned Chrysler, Dodge, and now Ram products for most of my life. Cars and SUVs that other said were crap, I actually liked....a lot! My Dodge Durango gave me a little trouble but never left me stranded and the only reason I got rid of it was because of the rust from mid-west salt!

I now drive a '19 Ram 1500. I love the ride, acceleration, and general comfort, but I am questioning how a truck this expensive can have so many problems with just 50,000 miles. The radio and backup camera has been replaced multiple times. Wiring harnesses have been replaced. This past week I took it in because the exhaust sounded horrible and weather stripping had folded over. It turns out two bolts that hold two separate sections together cracked. Dealer wanted to charge me $300 to repair. I talked them down to $200 because $300 to remove bolts is just crazy. Not to mention that I can't even conceive how bolts would break on a 2019 anything. What is worse, my extended Max Care policy didn't cover the bolts or weather stripping.

It gets better. I asked for a transmission flush and the dealer told me I should wait because it was expensive on this vehicle. They asked why I wanted it done at 50K miles. I told them because I have a slow downshift from 2 to 1. Banging my head on what do for next steps. It shouldn't take seconds for a trans to shift.

My 2019 with 36,000 is a POS just like yours. My bolts also rusted out and the flange seperated. Resulting in a major exhaust leak under the truck. It was awesome. My trans shifted harsh downshifting. It needed a tcm update. That has fixed it. Now my driveshaft is failing and clunks like crazy. And the engine is making a horrible mettallic racket when i cold start it. Can wait to sell this POS. i suggest you do the same. Chrysler is garbage just like theyve always been. Dont be fooled.
Ramcares-care to discuss? Many people are appalled by the quality of your vehicles. Its time to help us

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2019 with 36,000 is a POS just like yours. My bolts also rusted out and the flange seperated. Resulting in a major exhaust leak under the truck. It was awesome. My trans shifted harsh downshifting. It needed a tcm update. That has fixed it. Now my driveshaft is failing and clunks like crazy. And the engine is making a horrible mettallic racket when i cold start it. Can wait to sell this POS. i suggest you do the same. Chrysler is garbage just like theyve always been. Dont be fooled.
Ramcares-care to discuss? Many people are appalled by the quality of your vehicles. Its time to help us
👋

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

If you bought it used, it sounds like you got someone else's lemon that they dumped. Every brand has lemons that slip through the cracks, and being first model year of the 5th gen, better chance of getting one.

Only issues I have had with my later model year 2020 Built to Serve is a run in the factory paint, and I was victim of the dead battery one day, but haven't had any issues with dead battery since, and it's still the same factory battery.

n8zcc

Reaction score
Well, it seems to me the majority of your issues are dealer caused which seems to be more of a problem than with the vehicle's build.

At the beginning of the year, I bought my third RAM and own two RAMs. I traded my 2013 in on the 2022. The number of issues I've had with these trucks isn't worth discussing and the 2022 has been trouble-free, not even a squeak.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Oops. Meant to put this in one of your other threads that mentioned the $180 brake charge.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
We sound like the same person. I'm in love with my Rebel. The looks, the way it drives, the interior, etc. However, there's a lot of known issues. I've had my eTorque motor replaced, battery, driver side mirror, multiple leaks addressed, broken exhaust flange bolt in the section behind the cat, rear window being replaced next week due to the frame cracking, and hood latch. So far my only out of pocket was $200 deductible for the hood latch. Time in the dealer? Yeah that's been a pain. I can't say you're wrong to feel the way you do. All I can say is you may want to change dealers. The service rep you have makes all the difference. The last dealer I went to didn't even bother calling Mopar to approve the repair under my Maximum Care policy. I went to another dealer (who I should have gone to in the first place) and the repair was approved in 48 hours with the window immediately on order. Yes, certain items are not covered. However, if your service rep is willing to go to bat for you, that goes a long way.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lol. Some of you guys must not have ever owned a first model year of a vehicle before. There's a reason you avoid the first model year...and that is true of ALL brands. Think Ram is bad? Go read through the GM forums for a while.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Lol. Some of you guys must not have ever owned a first model year of a vehicle before. There's a reason you avoid the first model year...and that is true of ALL brands. Think Ram is bad? Go read through the GM forums for a while.

50% fair. The real problem is some of these issues are even still in 2021 trucks. From what I understand, there is still issues with the eTorque and batteries. I won't overstep and claim the other issues are still there. Full disclosure: I would have preferred to NOT have the eTorque but the truck was a demo.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Quality is down with just about every brand with Ford probably being the worst. I do miss my 4th gen Ram, hardly one issue in almost 5 years.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread