5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where are members having their 5th Gen Rams serviced?

RAL

Reaction score
We have a 2020 1500 Laramie. We love the truck and have had no problems with it. It has about 29k miles on it. I am a big fan of following factory recommended services, and not doing less, or more. I have found that the dealer where we bought the truck is constantly upselling service items that appear questionable (e.g., an alignment every 10,000 miles; an $850 dealer recommended service package that included the recommended air and cabin filter changes, but that was otherwise puffery like an "interior disinfecting", etc.)

So while we really like the truck, I am looking to find a shop of dealer that will do what Ram recommends, but not constantly upsell nonsense. At the same time, I appreciate the need to have people we trust to recommend things when appropriate, since a lot of things in the manual are now "inspect" and so there is some judgment involved around, for example, driveline fluids need to change. Another consideration is that we are likely to add a Mopar factory extended warranty when the factory bumper to bumper warranty ends in November, so dealer service is probably easier if something goes wrong with the truck, but it's not a requirement per se.

Finally, we are in the Maryland suburbs of DC. Any suggestions or leads appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just look at private shops and learn what actually needs to be done.
Shops that don't run with a famous name are likely to be better as they live off quality and service vs a brand name where even if they do wrong they get away with it.

You really just need to replace air filters and oil for the factory warranty to be valid as far as I know.
If you want to keep the truck forever you have other fluids to take care of, but nothing close to 30k miles, maybe look into to at 75k to see what should get changed, then again at 100k.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
No matter where you go, they will upsell what they can. Be prepared for fluid changes, the trans fluid alone will be more than $350. The filter is built into the pan, so the pan has to be replaced. There is an aftermarket pan available with a replaceable filter to save on future changes, but the first one hurts bad. Sometimes the dealer can actually be cheaper for oil changes, when they run specials, but I would check social media or yelp, for recommendations in the area. My daughter found an independent shop only about 2 miles from her, that did oil change specials, and has started taking her older vehicles there for repairs.

barrak

Reaction score
What the others said. Nothing beats a trusted local mechanic.

At one point, I got so fed up with my dealer's incompetence, upselling and exuberant prices, that I educated myself through online surfing, spent nearly $1,000 on tools and equipment, and now do all my maintenance in and around my garage. I have three vehicles in our household... probably not worth it for a single vehicle.

RAL

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. With respect to the transmission fluid change, I note that the manual is not specific as to interval. I would be inclined to only go with the Mopar fluid and pan/filter. Do people here know if folks are having that done on the dealer? I know any shop of even a competent DIYer could do it, but my concern is more about recourse of something goes sideways. Then again, I have time before that is an issue, as I would imagine 60k is the earliest i would do a fluid change. Thanks again.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. With respect to the transmission fluid change, I note that the manual is not specific as to interval. I would be inclined to only go with the Mopar fluid and pan/filter. Do people here know if folks are having that done on the dealer? I know any shop of even a competent DIYer could do it, but my concern is more about recourse of something goes sideways. Then again, I have time before that is an issue, as I would imagine 60k is the earliest i would do a fluid change. Thanks again.
The manual is not going to say it because it is "lifetime fluid" which means 60k miles because that's the base warranty.
There are tons of articles and even the manufacturer information if you look hard enough. I believe the manufacturer says 76k miles, they use a number in KM which is why it's an odd number.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All driveline fluids at 60k miles. Filters as needed. Oil changed 5k-7.5k. It's that easy.

jkm312

Reaction score
IF you are pulling a trailer often in excess of 5000lbs. Are you in extreme heat or cold conditions? How hard do you drive the truck. All things to consider. Light duty use and reasonable driving, 60K is a good number to keep in mind.

CatServant

Reaction score
I just took mine to my local CJDR dealer for its first scheduled maintenance plus a recall repair (firmware flash) and that’s all they did. They didn’t try to upsell me on services. I had forgotten that I had bought the maintenance package that gives me four initial oil changes and tire rotations, but the service rep reminded me and the service cost me nothing extra.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The manual says it's life time, and never needs changing. However, Stellantis doesn't make the transmission, they buy it, and the manufacturer says otherwise. I forget the name of the law, but a manufacturer can not deny warranty from having work done elsewhere, or using aftermarket filters, as long as maintenance was performed on schedule. Really wouldn't matter anyway, because at 60,000 miles, even powertrain warranty is over.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
However, Stellantis doesn't make the transmission, they buy it, and the manufacturer says otherwise.
This is not 100% true. Stellantis actually has a build agreement, yet they still buy from ZF also. The transmission plant in Kokomo Indiana builds ZF transmissions.

Majortom

Reaction score
On a related note, while miles driven is most often used to determine oil/lubricant/fluid life, time is a component as well. Along with driving conditions and style.

Jmac509

Reaction score
If anyone can recommend a good service department in New Jersey or the greater NYC area I'm open to suggestions. Dealing with the sales people at my local dealers does not give me a lot of confidence.

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maryland here. Had Waldorf Ram do my recalls. They did a complimentary inspection during my recalls and I’m at 51. I hope it wasn’t them. They didn’t try to sell me anything and said truck look fantastic. I do my own oil changes, and tire rotation. Used Guy Motors on 231 in Prince Frederick for alignment after my lift. I installed my own lift. I’ll use guy motor for tires next time I’m due. Saying that. If I didn’t do a lot myself. I would use Guy Motors. All I hear is good things. Why I took my truck basically brand new after my lift to them for alignment.

Reverse

Reaction score
Just follow the intervals specified by Ram, especially if you plan to have an extended warranty.

I usually get the extended warranty, then follow Ram's maintenance schedule:
- oil whenever the counter in dash tells me to (usually near 10,000)
- transmission never
- differentials and transfer case: whatever manual says

Or you could follow the advice from random members here. Your call.

barrak

Reaction score
Just follow the intervals specified by Ram, especially if you plan to have an extended warranty.

I usually get the extended warranty, then follow Ram's maintenance schedule:
- oil whenever the counter in dash tells me to (usually near 10,000)
- transmission never
- differentials and transfer case: whatever manual says

Or you could follow the advice from random members here. Your call.
Sometimes, manufacturers have maintenance recommendations driven by disparate regional (especially environmental) regulations, for better or worse. Case in point, Subaru USA claims lifetime CVT fluid, which contradicts Subaru Canada's recommended 60,000-mile intervals for normal use.

My 2015 Subaru 3.6R CVT fluid certainly lasted the lifetime of the CVT, which had a catastrophic failure at 78,000 miles.

Because of that event, and unless the manufacturer is recommending shorter intervals, my engine, differentials, transmission, and radiator will have their fluids refreshed every 5k, 30k, 60k, and 100k miles, respectively.

Please consider my opinion as a random voice and a sample of one.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have mostly highway miles. So far I’m just having the oil changed when needed. They also do a “multipoint inspection” for free.

Littlejoe81

Reaction score
Same here! I do all my own maintenance! Scared to take it in for recalls or warranty, I'll fix it myself. I had one chrome wheel warranted bc it was pitted, I had to tell them to balance it and they only put 15 psi in it. I took the tire off the truck and brought it in. When I got the truck day one I noticed the steering wheel was off a hair to the left I noticed this when test driving another Ram as well. I adjusted it myself. And for the brake chirp I greased the pad ears and shims when changing to my summer set. I do my oil change every 4,000 miles. I know if I do it myself it's going to be done the right way, when I worked in automotive back in the day I treated every customer's car like it was my own, sadly most places scratch vehicles and damage them in the process when fixing them for example belt buckle scratches on the car... or license plate bent and damaged from their automatic carwash. Always take pictures, use a dash cam, and do a full walk around when picking up your vehicle. I factory ordered my Ram because every or most new vehicles in the lot had scratches on them and defects. I notice everything, I'm picky! I didn't purchase any extended warranties.... I just hope I never end up with the cracked rear sliding window frame/ water leak.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230628-070606_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230628-070606_Gallery.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20230628-070905_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230628-070905_Gallery.jpg
    466.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 20230628_070223.jpg
    20230628_070223.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20230628-070705_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230628-070705_Gallery.jpg
    447.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20230628-070657_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230628-070657_Gallery.jpg
    332.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20230628-070538_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230628-070538_Gallery.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20230628-070535_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230628-070535_Gallery.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20230628-070507_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230628-070507_Gallery.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20230628-071156_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230628-071156_Gallery.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20230628_070340.jpg
    20230628_070340.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same here! I do all my own maintenance! Scared to take it in for recalls or warranty, I'll fix it myself. I had one chrome wheel pitted and I had to tell them to balance it and they only put 15 psi in it. I took the tire off the truck and brought it in. When I got the truck day one I noticed the steering wheel was off a hair to the left I noticed this when test driving another Ram as well. I adjusted it myself. And for the brake chirp I greased the pad ears and shims when changing to my summer set. I do my oil change every 4,000 miles. I know if I do it myself it's going to be done the right way, when I worked in automotive back in the day I treated every customer's car like it was my own, sadly most places scratch vehicles and damage them in the process when fixing them for example belt buckle scratches on the car... or license plate bent and damaged from their automatic carwash. Always take pictures, use a dash cam, and do a full walk around when picking up your vehicle. I factory ordered my Ram because every or most new vehicles in the lot had scratches on them and defects. I notice everything, I'm picky! I didn't purchase any extended warranties.... I just hope I never end up with the cracked rear sliding window frame/ water leak.
Yup the service centers goal is to scratch every car that they work on. EVERY car gets a free scratch or dent, its like a signature.

Bring a car for me to work on with a dash cam, its disconnected and off. Some dealers take pictures of cars during write up. We just called a customer out on them blaming us for damaging their Wrangler top, advisor had it documented. Because door dings never happen anywhere but a dealer or service center.

Users who are viewing this thread