5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When is the DT due for a mid-cycle refresh?

wangstarr03

Reaction score
It seems just like yesterday that Ram debuted the 5th gen to thunderous ovation, particularly with the benchmark setting interior and the largest (at the time) infotainment screen in the segment. Fast forward just ~3 years and most of the direct competitors have either caught up or significantly closed the gap. The F150 will always have a loyal following, but the recently unveiled Tundra (even without a V8) and GM twins are compelling in their own right.

I wouldn't go so far as saying anyone has surpassed Ram overall, but interiors have definitely gotten nicer, center screens bigger, feature innovation stepped up, etc. That said, when is the DT due for a mid-cycle refresh and what is everyone expecting/wanting to see?

For me: I'd love to see the 392 motor applied to the 1500 (lofty, I know - even for a next gen redesign with the way the industry is shifting) along with more aggressive exterior styling (the current design is a bit too rounded and somewhat bulbus IMO, I prefer sharp lines and angles a la GMC) and tweaks to the interior like a horizontal format infotainment screen, full digital gauge cluster, massage seats, a bed view camera and some level of hands-free semi-autonomous driving tech (of the big 3, FCA er Stellantis, is the only one who doesn't offer that tech in a half-ton application currently).

Thoughts, insider info?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m definitely not an insider, but my guess is that they will debut alongside the 2024 electric truck. If the electric truck gets pushed back to 2025, I still think the refreshes for the ICE trucks will debut in 2024.

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe it was supposed to be 2023. Not sure if that still stands given the current environment auto manufacturing is in.

wangstarr03

Reaction score
I believe it was supposed to be 2023. Not sure if that still stands given the current environment auto manufacturing is in.
Yeah those were the rumors I heard, as well - unveil in 2022 for MY23 but obviously the pandemic has thrown that for a big loop. I certainly think it's due, though with everyone else catching up.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just got my Ram 3 months ago, so I won't be looking for a few years but I hope Ram doesn't follow the path that Toyota and GMC are going down with their exterior styling. Gigantic grilles and square wheel wells are a solid "NO" for me.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just got my Ram 3 months ago, so I won't be looking for a few years but I hope Ram doesn't follow the path that Toyota and GMC are going down with their exterior styling. Gigantic grilles and square wheel wells are a solid "NO" for me.

Absolutely right. I hate the front of the new Tundra, and the GMC isn't much better. If Ram goes in that direction it will just give me another reason to keep what I have now for longer than I had planned I guess LOL

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Absolutely right. I hate the front of the new Tundra, and the GMC isn't much better. If Ram goes in that direction it will just give me another reason to keep what I have now for longer than I had planned I guess LOL
Yep. Either that or swap brands again.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I like the GMC front end but not a fan of the Ford, Chevy or Toyota. I’ll stick to my Ram for at least 4-5 years then might decide what to do.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I like the GMC front end but not a fan of the Ford, Chevy or Toyota. I’ll stick to my Ram for at least 4-5 years then might decide what to do.
1634947566402.gif

I see an electric ram in your future….

Hasti17

Reaction score
Ram pioneered the "big rig" looks with the gen 2. (Dipped areas on either side of hood) So i truly think that the styling will remain similar as it is a brand signature for them.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ram pioneered the "big rig" looks with the gen 2. (Dipped areas on either side of hood) So i truly think that the styling will remain similar as it is a brand signature for them.
I’d still love to have a ‘94 ram 2500 or 3500 cummins. Those were gorgeous

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting to note, the Ram HD isn’t getting a refresh in 2023 according to an inside source.

Have to wonder if 1500 is on the same schedule or not?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting to note, the Ram HD isn’t getting a refresh in 2023 according to an inside source.

Have to wonder if 1500 is on the same schedule or not?

That thread started out great then nosedived pretty hard, lol

agjr85

Reaction score
Looking to either pull the trigger on an AT4 or repurchase a RAM, however very tempted to see if a 2023 refresh is coming out. Timing wise it is due and dont' want to make a purchase that I'll regret.

ChrisID

Reaction score
Yep. Either that or swap brands again.
Couldn't agree more IdahoKTM. I was GM forever, and mostly Denali's which I thought at the time looked very classy. That's until their 14 came out and it looked like a clown truck with the HUGE grill and mega-bling. My dealer even bought one for me (he always pre-bought one for me knowing I was trading around 3 years). I took one look at it and said "do you honestly believe I can drive that thing on a jobsite and expect to be taken seriously?" He agreed and ordered me a SLT. That was my last GM. My first Ram was a 20 and I now have two of them. I very much like the no-nonsense grill on the Ram. I guess it's always to each his own though.
I'm about an hour north of you. PM me so we can talk. (I ride a husky).

Dr. Cheeseburger

Reaction score
Looking to either pull the trigger on an AT4 or repurchase a RAM, however very tempted to see if a 2023 refresh is coming out. Timing wise it is due and dont' want to make a purchase that I'll regret.
A92FE220-8E4A-4E05-B7E2-B489016F4F3A.jpeg

2022 AT4 w/6.2L & 10 speed
2021 Limited 4x4 with air suspension in OR2 mode

Amazing93

Reaction score
I'd be willing to bet the 392 will never be put in a 1500 especially with rumors of the 5.7 being phased out in the future.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I drove Titans and loved them for 15 years. When they came out with the redesign in 2015 that killed it for me - had they kept more or less the same body style and (reasonably) flat rear seat floor I probably would have stayed with them because I really liked the overall truck experience. Not that I'm unhappy with the Ram - easily the nicest truck I've ever had - but that's why I switched.

agjr85

Reaction score
View attachment 123411

2022 AT4 w/6.2L & 10 speed
2021 Limited 4x4 with air suspension in OR2 mode

Looking at the refreshed GMC... with the catch up interior. I've had Silverado's prior to the RAM and felt like they were too stagnant. Loved my RAM, but don't really care to buy the same exact truck again, especially with these prices and RAM now charging for what was standard before.

But really the RAM can only gain so much on the interior, possibly fully digi cluster and tweaks. Exterior is really where I'm curious if it will change a lot.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 39

Users who are viewing this thread