5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When is FCA dropping SiriusXM from Connected Car capabilities given current disaster?

dunnomucho

Reaction score
Given my earlier experience of attempting to onboard to the UConnect/Sirius/whatever platform, I haven't bothered since.

I am trying to determine how much I would have to charge FCA for a subscription to me, to test their system. $20/month? $10/month, that would be a NO.

FCA has to be developing an alternative platform to Sirius. No auto manufacturer in their right mind would EVER give control over their platform to a third party.

Though... it is not just a Sirius problem but also a UConnect problem. It is entirely useless. POI not recognized. Local geographical context not recognized for searching. It is just a complete disaster on every level, I am assuming somewhere there is a class action percolating.

However, for the most part, I knew it was going to be garbage when I bought the truck. Can't say I didn't know... but still... rather frustrating. Still... love the truck as a truck. ACC is awesome. But the connected car platform is a complete and unmitigated(yet to be litigated) apocalyptic sh*tshow. Still it sells... so does it really matter? I bought it anyway, knowing it would be like this because of this unsound platform architecture.

Is there a specific thread where pressure is being applied to FCA to acknowledge and correct? I haven't seen it.

raydi07

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more with you. The whole 12" navigation system is completely useless. Old maps, no business found when typing in their name, no microphone access to use in lieu of typing. The only thing that works on it is using the other method to type in state, city, street name, and address # . I believe we should be receiving a refund for the navigation portion. Let them turn it off, would not matter to me. Using Android Auto for nav now. If I would have known of the issue it may have changed my decision on purchasing the Longhorn Laramie.

Pressgrove

Reaction score
I was after Apple Car Play primarily. I had used it on several rental cars and really liked it. I got the 12" because the truck I wanted had it. If I'm being 100% honest, I was biased towards that particular truck because it had the 12" screen :sneaky:.

My experience with OEM systems had me not expecting much. That said, my initial reaction was positive. The screen is clean, intuitive, and responsive. That said, the Nav, Uconnect, etc. are completely useless. Every once in a while, I will make an attempt to use it (It's only worked as designed one time). I usually give up pretty quickly to spare myself the frustration. I'm lurking behind some threads here where people are aggressively going after FCA to get the system fixed. I'll let their passion get the bugs fixed and hopefully reap some of the results. It just doesn't bother me bad enough to get worked up over. Sirius radio works fine (although I doubt I'll pay for that at the end of the free trial), and my phone (through Car Play) works great for anything else I need. There are a few bugs (like the clock disappearing), but I can live with that.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I would not call it a 'disaster"...
I've owned Lexus, Audi, BMW, and Mercedes. The infotainment on my RAM is by far the best I've had by a large margin. Could it be better? Of course, everything can be improved, but that doesn't detract from it.

Real-time traffic works great, and I barely use CarPlay anymore. No complaints from me.

Cheers,

RPeezy

Reaction score
I would not call it a 'disaster"...
I've owned Lexus, Audi, BMW, and Mercedes. The infotainment on my RAM is by far the best I've had by a large margin. Could it be better? Of course, everything can be improved, but that doesn't detract from it.

Real-time traffic works great, and I barely use CarPlay anymore. No complaints from me.

Cheers,

That seems to be the consensus from auto review publications, as well. I admit, I don't have much experience with anything else. My wife and I have both driven Jeep GCs for the last few years, and the current generation of infotainment systems wasn't around for long before that. Still, I haven't come across anything better.

Ramses

Reaction score
I spent about 20 minutes setting up on our 3 day old 2019 Classic. SiriusXM I'll keep. Hot spot no, I can do that off my phone.
Uconnect? Not sure, pretty pricey for not allot of features.
We had a BMW X5 that we traded in and it was much more complicated to set up.
The Ram was pretty easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

dunnomucho

Reaction score
Fair statement, that the industry is a fail on the connected car. My BMW X5 was bad, though nowhere near this bad.

I find the sense of complacency on this capability by consumers, puzzling. Paid for it, haven't received it. Not relevant that the industry is in bad shape, but I have rented most every vehicle brand while travelling and this is by far, the worst. I don't expect it to be Tesla, but at least be somewhere within the same solar system. Much less planet right now.

Given the scope of issues, the only option is to get a "credit" from FCA. Given the partner arrangement with SiriusXM and the type of gaps in the IOT architecture platform that is being demonstrated, this is not correctable unless the hardware in the car is replaced, new IOT infrastructure in place, and it is managed by FCA directly.

This is impossible, given the likely legacy silo'd org structure within FCA and how shared infrastructure services are managed.

So... write me a check.

Really sad about this feature, love everything else. Replaced my X5 with this, haven't looked back.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The NAV system on pretty much every car I've driven in is crap...I bought it for the 12" screen.
I just use Android Auto... I would never consider using the baked in NAV system.

ponypride

Reaction score
I went for the 8.4 screen without NAV and use Waze via Apple CarPlay. I passed on the 12 “ display after reading all the problems. If I can only get a fix for the volume of the turn by turn directions, I will be very happy.

cra1g

Reaction score
The Sirius/UConnect functionality is a step DOWN from my 2014 Jeep, which is astounding. I guess FCA just assumes everyone is going to use Android Auto/Apple CarPlay now, and doesn't want to spend any money on fixing their garbage software, so they outsourced it to Sirius, which made it worse.

Laramiepete

Reaction score
I agree that the connected portion of the system sucks! I have not been able to use the remote services, start,lock,locate from my android or the website since I leased the truck in Oct 2018. After many calls to U/Sirius all i've received is frustration and aggravation. Dealer says nothing they can do. I have given up. Radio works and everything else is good. Life is to short to sweat the small stuff.

azzx

Reaction score
below are the latest ratings from Consumers Reports. more than likely the FCA rating is for the 8.4 screen.
besides few glitches, I don't have any major problems. An updated is needed to clean things up. Light years ahead systems on my Honda, Ford, Benz, and Toyota infotainments.
25668 IMG_20190520_063623328.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190520_063642738.jpg
    IMG_20190520_063642738.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 51

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am not greatly impressed with the Nav at all. The routes it takes me sometimes make no sense. 45 minutes longer route than Google Maps....? Thank goodness they integrated Apple Car Play and Android, this makes it completely acceptable and a great use of the 12" screen when you put CarPlay on top and Music below.

Laramiepete

Reaction score
I would not compare it to other systems. I think the whole "connected car" ecosphere is in disarray. It is relatively a new technology and it needs more refinement and maybe some standards, also security is a big issue. I remember the update to my wifes 2014 Grand Cherokee so that hacker could get control of your car while you were driving and cause havoc.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
RAMs connected services are bar none the worst on these trucks. The reaction time for remote commands is a joke. I didn't know how bad until I traded for a new truck and my new one works as fast as my key fob. My in car wifi is actually LTE not "4G'. Yes there is a HUGE difference in 4g and LTE.

I do not know what possesses FCA to involve Sirius in their connected services. Anyone that has ever dealt with them knows how bad they are to deal with. To make them be the people you have to work with on even more things is like putting your head in a vise.

Its a shame because the overall system is nice. I liked my 12.1 it worked well and I didn't experience many issues other than the things you can category as "Stuff happens" ERam needs to get the connected services working better if they want to keep people happy. Especially as Ford and Gm include these things more and more in all their vehicles. I can say from experience both of those brands phone app commands work instantaneous . So when those people move over to RAM and experience these issues they will no doubt be disappointed. These things are becoming more and more a part of peoples considerations when buying a new car.

JDBob35a

Reaction score
I agree the built in NAV is horrible, When I bought the truck I figured it had to be at least as good as my Ford Sync 3 system. NOT. I use google maps.
Yesterday I had a fisaco with FCA/Sirius, The dealer setup my Uconnect when I purchased the truck, while I was inside finishing paperwork. Long story short he used my business email and I needed it all setup with my personal account. I logged into the account to change the email address. Guess what, all the Uconnect stuff stopped working. Took two calls and 3 hours to for Sirius and FCA to get it working again, all because of an email address change. The Sirius support person actually got the FCA support person on the phone with us so we could all work together. I have to say both the FCA and Sirius folks were working to help me, but it just shows what a mess having the third party controlling part of your truck causes.
Now if they would just update maps and stop the thing from playing the Sirius preview channel half the time!!

Pressgrove

Reaction score
Yesterday I had a fisaco with FCA/Sirius, The dealer setup my Uconnect when I purchased the truck, while I was inside finishing paperwork. Long story short he used my business email and I needed it all setup with my personal account. I logged into the account to change the email address. Guess what, all the Uconnect stuff stopped working.

Yep... same here. I gave the sames guy my "junk" email, but set up my Mopar account with my "real" email. Mine took a service ticket and 3 days to resolve. I still haven't felt patient enough to try it to see if that fixed the problem.

Now if they would just update maps and stop the thing from playing the Sirius preview channel half the time!!

Same here also. I've found that remote starting seems to help. Otherwise I can just change the channel and change back. Not perfect, but not too bothersome.

rconiv

Reaction score
The voice to text is useless, when a text message comes in, since all you can do is use their pre-programmed responses.
Has anyone had this issue? When you start the vehicle, and you have it set to play music off the apple/android device, it plays that, but it also plays the Sirius channel 1 over the top of it. I have to switch to XM, and then switch back to get it to go away. It doesn't happen to often, but enough to be irritating.
Sometimes it also doesn't auto start the music playing off the USB device.
Now if they would just update the nav maps for 2019.

Users who are viewing this thread