5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When do you expect used prices to drop?

Cupped_up

Reaction score
As the title says, when do you expect used ram prices to drop?

I should have pulled the trigger the first half of last year on a new CC BH 4x4 sport for 40K but thought I could do better. Now, all I see are used trucks going for that price. I get used trucks were in high demand but I figure they would have dropped in price by now. What do you guys think?

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dealers are apparently having a tough time getting timely inventory, custom orders taking a long time, every parts are backordered everywhere....

So not a buyer’s market right now! More demand than supply.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you are looking at a Big Horn around 40K you could get pretty close to that new around me - I was looking at a 2021 BH CC 4x4 long bed and the dealers were as low as $42,000 before negotiations. That was on a truck with $55,000 MSRP

hoopmanut

Reaction score
Here in Utah , New Prices are staying pretty high, due to limited inventory. It bought my new one in November and it seems like it was starting to loosen up some then but its gone back to limited again...that is for Ram and Ford, not sure about GM.
Used prices will stay high until new vehicles are widely available again it seems .

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As gas goes up I would think that used truck prices should drop some. With the new “attitude” in DC, gas should be going up over the next 4 years.

The other part of the supply/demand equation is supply. That has to improve.

Next would be interest rates, if the fed artificially keeps them low then the demand stays higher thus used prices stay higher.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would not expect prices to come down anytime soon with the chip shortages forcing plants to idle and COVID wreaking havoc on everyone's supply chains. They will come down as gas prices rise but that's a longer trend that can be difficult to pinpoint, but can be predicted based on the party in power.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Never. Unless fuel prices go up to $4-5 again, in which case anyone who doesn't need a truck will be running for the hills trying to buy Priuses (Prii?). So if you want to gamble that gas will get that expensive again, you'd find a bargain, but I think you'll be waiting for a very long time for that - by the time inflation pushes gas to $4, $40k is going to look like a bargain on any truck.

I remember when I first bought my Titan in 2004, when the gas prices started shooting up in 2005 and 2006 there were all these guys running out and selling their $35k trucks (yeah, that was a loaded truck 17 years ago) for $15-20k and buying econoboxes. Then when gas came back to earth a couple years later they were buying $40k loaded trucks again. You couldn't show these guys math and how they were losing their asses and if they just waited it out they'd come out on top.

Cupped_up

Reaction score
I’m looking for a unicorn truck apparently so the trucks I do find that fit what I want aren’t discounted. Also, I’m located in California.

I’m looking for:

White CC BH with 6.4 bed
hemi non-etorque
33G tank
Level 1
Sport package
ORG

it seems almost impossible to find this combo and like I said, when I find it, it is NOT heavily discounted. I may have to bite the bullet and go custom order unfortunately...

If you are looking at a Big Horn around 40K you could get pretty close to that new around me - I was looking at a 2021 BH CC 4x4 long bed and the dealers were as low as $42,000 before negotiations. That was on a truck with $55,000 MSRP

where are you located and if you don’t mind recommending some dealers near you that are good to work with? I’m located in CA and I’ve talked to several east coast dealers who for whatever reason can’t sell to CA. I’m willing to drive the distance for the right truck.

Cupped_up

Reaction score
Never. Unless fuel prices go up to $4-5 again, in which case anyone who doesn't need a truck will be running for the hills trying to buy Priuses (Prii?). So if you want to gamble that gas will get that expensive again, you'd find a bargain, but I think you'll be waiting for a very long time for that - by the time inflation pushes gas to $4, $40k is going to look like a bargain on any truck.

I remember when I first bought my Titan in 2004, when the gas prices started shooting up in 2005 and 2006 there were all these guys running out and selling their $35k trucks (yeah, that was a loaded truck 17 years ago) for $15-20k and buying econoboxes. Then when gas came back to earth a couple years later they were buying $40k loaded trucks again. You couldn't show these guys math and how they were losing their asses and if they just waited it out they'd come out on top.

im in CA and gas prices on average where I’m at are around $3.50-$3.80 for regular

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m looking for a unicorn truck apparently so the trucks I do find that fit what I want aren’t discounted. Also, I’m located in California.

I’m looking for:

White CC BH with 6.4 bed
hemi non-etorque
33G tank
Level 1
Sport package
ORG

it seems almost impossible to find this combo and like I said, when I find it, it is NOT heavily discounted. I may have to bite the bullet and go custom order unfortunately...

where are you located and if you don’t mind recommending some dealers near you that are good to work with? I’m located in CA and I’ve talked to several east coast dealers who for whatever reason can’t sell to CA. I’m willing to drive the distance for the right truck.
Are you planning on paying cash for this vehicle? If so, you can plan on prices continuing to rise as the production lines of everything are screwed up for the foreseeable future. If you think trucks are bad take a look at building supplies - I was paying $8/sheet for OSB a year ago and now I'm paying $30/sheet.

If you are planning on financing, then you are killing yourself over pennies. Find/order what you want and call it a day.

TravisJ

Reaction score
Wouldn't plan on it any time soon. Used prices will probably go back down to normal next year, once COVID subsides and production is chugging along again. I was about to buy a used 2019 with 30k miles for $38k (sticker brand new was about $56k). Then live market pricing made the dealer hike the price to $40k overnight. No thanks..I will just buy new for $5k more at that point, just crazy. Of course weeks later the truck still sits on their lot...

HeavyRotation

Reaction score
I bought my used 19 QC 4x4 Laramie with 15k on it for 30k otd in the first week of Covid lockdown last spring. Seeing the price of used trucks now, I feel really good about that. The dealership was completely Empty that day, everyone was scared, figured that was the time.

Going forward, I think by next fall the goobermit will have fouled up the economy so hard there will be lower prices on used trucks.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
My guess is that you won't see used prices come down to "normal" (whatever that is) until production of new vehicles is also back to "normal", and things have been opened back up and we get back to some form of "normality" in all parts of the world.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Trucks have historically the highest resale of any segment, regardless of fuel prices, but right now things are even more elevated due to shortages. I don't expect the elevated prices to go down until production and potential buyers finally catch up, and even then you need time for adjustment.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score

I’m looking for:

White CC BH with 6.4 bed
hemi non-etorque
33G tank
Level 1
Sport package
ORG

Well first thing I’d do is leave Cali... Then celebrate by finding a truck at lower taxes!

Users who are viewing this thread