5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When did the engine stalling or cutting out issue begin...

DesertRat

Reaction score
And what years, models are affected and has anyone here had the issue. I am looking at some certified or pre-owned Ram 1500's and some of the reports on this issue kinda make me nervous.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No idea what you're talking about. I've been here for 3 years and have only seen a few people with that kind of issue. What I would say is that if anything you read on the internet makes your nervous about buying a vehicle, you should buy a different vehicle. People only post when they have complaints or issues, which can make the problem seem a whole lot more widespread than it seems. Even if 1000 people came on here and posted about an engine cutting out, there's been something like 1 million or more of these trucks sold. That would be 1/10th of 1 percent. Hardly an epidemic. Even if you assumed that for every person that came on here to complain there were 10 others that didn't know there was a such thing as the internet, you'd still be talking about a 1% problem.

DesertRat

Reaction score
There are a lot of complaints the the 1500 is stalling here is one post on these forums where it is happening to a lot of owners.

Last edited:

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There are a lot of complaints the the 100 is stalling here is one post on these forums where it is happening to a lot of owners.

What is a "the the 100"?

DesertRat

Reaction score
fixed, the thread above covers it. I guess I will not be buying an e-torque model if I buy a Ram

vincentw56

Reaction score
fixed, the thread above covers it. I guess I will not be buying an e-torque model if I buy a Ram
Well, I've had mine for over a year and never had an issue like that. Hopefully it is something not too serious.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are a lot of complaints the the 1500 is stalling here is one post on these forums where it is happening to a lot of owners.

I don't really know how to answer this. What is "a lot"? There's been a million Rams sold. There might be 20 people in that thread that had the issue. Even if there's 5 other threads with 20 people that's still only 100 people. Even if there's 5,000 people driving around that had the problem and never bothered signing up for an account so they could tell us about it, that's still not even 1/10th of one percent. In my book, that doesn't really count as "a lot".

As for E-torque, most people who have it in the forums like it. Some do not. A few have had problems, which makes sense because any time you add complexity into a process you are more likely to have a problem than not. I personally don't have any use for it, because I don't like added complexity, but even those that have it there's hardly any real problems.

Insurance company statistics say that your chance of being in a car crash is about 3% for every 10k miles driven. If you drive 10k miles this year, do you consider it highly likely (the companion to "a lot") that you'll be in a car crash this year? If so, how do you even manage to leave the driveway in the morning? :p

Take the internet with a lot of perspective. Something that's a blowout problem here may not even register outside your computer screen.

BowDown

Reaction score

25k miles and not one issue. If you let forums dictate what is and is not a good product, you'll be sorely disappointed and misled.

Millions of trucks sold but 50-100 people with problems negate the millions with none LOL

Users who are viewing this thread