5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When did Ram delete the CD player?

1Raider

Reaction score
Was wondering when Ram deleted the CD player from the 12" screen? My 19' had one.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
CD player is an option you can select to add. But no one really uses cds anymore so they generally don’t come standard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nitmik

Reaction score
My 2019 Big horn had one. Not sure if it worked. Never used it.

1Raider

Reaction score
I missed that option.. Wonder if I can plug a external in the usb and it work?

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been told that '19 was the last year, but it's still shown on parts drawings for '20. It looks like sometime in '21 they redesigned the media port bezel, moving the USB ports to the center so it doesn't look like they left something out. Don't know if it's been written out of the radio firmware, but the support wiring may not be present or available. I plan to try one of the cheap China USB drives when I get around to it, and see if that works.

DirtNazzty

Reaction score
My loaded up '13 4th Gen Laramie did not have one... It had the USB and SD card slot for my music.... My but 5th Gen Longhorn does have one so idk... Probably just an extra option

For anyone interested this is what I use for all my music in my pickup
SAMSUNG FIT Plus 128GB - 400 MB/s USB 3.1 Flash Drive (MUF-128AB/AM) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D7PDLXC/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_KQCZ2EBEHEVQ31CKABKR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Works great and super simple to transfer your music over to... Truck reads it super quick no issues and I love how tiny the USB drive is it doesn't stick out real far and you forget it's even there!
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Mister 4x4

Reaction score
My loaded up '13 4th Gen Laramie did not have one... It had the USB and SD card slot for my music.... My but 5th Gen Longhorn does have one so idk... Probably just an extra option

For anyone interested this is what I use for all my music in my pickup
SAMSUNG FIT Plus 128GB - 400 MB/s USB 3.1 Flash Drive (MUF-128AB/AM) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D7PDLXC/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_KQCZ2EBEHEVQ31CKABKR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Works great and super simple to transfer your music over to... Truck reads it super quick no issues and I love how tiny the USB drive is it doesn't stick out real far and you forget it's even there!
I have a Crucial 32GB for the same purpose. My '12 Lone Star had factory CD which lacked USB, so I swapped in an aftermarket JVC head unit to gain BT, USB, and back-up camera. When I picked up the flash drive(s), I'd had issues with a 128GB flash drive, and later learned that aftermarket stereos weren't all that happy with the larger flash drives, and that 32GB was about the top-end for hassle-free operations. That was a few years ago, so maybe that's worked itself out... who knows.

How does the system fare with the 128GB flash drive? Any issues? I still have my 128GB that I wouldn't mind using for the Ram, then move my 32GB over to one of my other cars with aftermarket stereos.

I know a few things I'm [still] not happy with the factory stereo are:
  • Randomizer - won't keep going from start-up to start-up... keeps resetting to the first tune of the algorithm it picks for whatever folder it begins with, and plays the same algorithm order each time I shut-off, then restart the truck (so... not very 'random' at all, really)
  • Folders don't auto-switch to the next one when it finishes (that might be my fault, though, having the 'Repeat All' on, so maybe when it hits the end of the folder it goes back to the beginning [of that same folder]?)
  • 3-band EQ - seems pretty lame for such a nice system (HK 19-speaker package)

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2019 model year was the first and last 5th Gen to get the CD player

DirtNazzty

Reaction score
I have a Crucial 32GB for the same purpose. My '12 Lone Star had factory CD which lacked USB, so I swapped in an aftermarket JVC head unit to gain BT, USB, and back-up camera. When I picked up the flash drive(s), I'd had issues with a 128GB flash drive, and later learned that aftermarket stereos weren't all that happy with the larger flash drives, and that 32GB was about the top-end for hassle-free operations. That was a few years ago, so maybe that's worked itself out... who knows.

How does the system fare with the 128GB flash drive? Any issues? I still have my 128GB that I wouldn't mind using for the Ram, then move my 32GB over to one of my other cars with aftermarket stereos.

I know a few things I'm [still] not happy with the factory stereo are:
  • Randomizer - won't keep going from start-up to start-up... keeps resetting to the first tune of the algorithm it picks for whatever folder it begins with, and plays the same algorithm order each time I shut-off, then restart the truck (so... not very 'random' at all, really)
  • Folders don't auto-switch to the next one when it finishes (that might be my fault, though, having the 'Repeat All' on, so maybe when it hits the end of the folder it goes back to the beginning [of that same folder]?)
  • 3-band EQ - seems pretty lame for such a nice system (HK 19-speaker package)
Sorry idk about all the technical stuff you mentioned lmao... But I can tell you it works perfectly fine for me. It boots up and reads instantly all my files/folders/artist/album etc.. Are all listed nice and neat and the sound quality is MILES ahead of what Sirius XM offers. It obviously depends on the quality of your downloaded/burnt music you put on the drive but my personal music always sounds WAAAAAY better than Sirius on my radio. I have the longhorn with the big radio and HK package and most of my personal music sounds ridiculously good in my pickup.

ramhead

Reaction score
I missed that option.. Wonder if I can plug a external in the usb and it work?
They sell external type CD players for USB for $50 - $100 (Amazon, etc) which come with operation buttons (Play, Stop, RW/FF). They would not only seem to be a clutter issue in the console area but you'd have to secure it some way so it wasn't bouncing/sliding all over the place....all in all not worth it the trouble when you can get a USB stick that can hold 1000 + songs if you get a large GB one. That's what I use.... and I HAVE a CD player in my 2019 Ram.

But no, you can't just use something like a computer ext. CD drive as that needs software/op system like Windows to work.

Last edited:

Tommyboy59

Reaction score
I just added external cd player. Plug and play,works great. 2020 Ram rebel.
Amazon and cheap.

Attachments

• IMG_9262.png
    IMG_9262.png
    253.7 KB · Views: 32

HemiDude

Reaction score
I just added external cd player. Plug and play,works great. 2020 Ram rebel.
Amazon and cheap.
That looks very similar to the one that I bought. They are pretty decent quality.

Dewey

Reaction score
With Apple Carplay I no longer have any use for a CD player anymore since my phone has my entire catalog of 350 CD’s loaded into it. Can’t get any more convenient than that. I order my last 4th Gen with a player but only used it 3-4 times in 5 years. So much more convenient doing it by Bluetooth and having everything on screen to select.

Users who are viewing this thread