5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wheels n Tire size dilemma

RcCola

Reaction score
Greetings, So I’ve looked around and can’t find answers I’m looking for, so I’ll post my question, apologies. First truck.

23 1500 limited granite/night…with 22 rims and air sus. The Perrelli car tires are sad….

My question is. . Should you keep the overall stock diameter? And if so, is going down to a 20in wheel to get some more sidewall a good plan. Of course nicer tires like some toyos. What do I gain?? Better ride maybe, or no difference?
Some post I’ve read was that a bigger overall package like 35s affect tranny and other components.
So just keep the stock diameter and go down to 20s? How will I benefit from 20in rims vs just keeping the 22s and putting on 33/12.50/22 with stock wheels?

My other concern is weight, and if it’s something to consider.

Thinking fuel Blitz wheels and Toyo at3

Attachments

• IMG_1192.jpeg
    IMG_1192.jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 8

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
Greetings, So I’ve looked around and can’t find answers I’m looking for, so I’ll post my question, apologies. First truck.

23 1500 limited granite/night…with 22 rims and air sus. The Perrelli car tires are sad….

My question is. . Should you keep the overall stock diameter? And if so, is going down to a 20in wheel to get some more sidewall a good plan. Of course nicer tires like some toyos. What do I gain?? Better ride maybe, or no difference?
Some post I’ve read was that a bigger overall package like 35s affect tranny and other components.
So just keep the stock diameter and go down to 20s? How will I benefit from 20in rims vs just keeping the 22s and putting on 33/12.50/22 with stock wheels?

My other concern is weight, and if it’s something to consider.

Thinking fuel Blitz wheels and Toyo at3
keeping stock diameter is completely up to you and subjective to YOUR liking and in what youll do with your truck. want more side wall? go 20s. want more rim and less sidewall? stay 22s. completely up to you in what configuration you want to go with, just understand the bigger you do in diameter/height, youll have to level it or youll rub, unless your new wheels will have a wide enough offset, and please dont use spacers to push them out. (idk about how leveling work with air suspension though, cant answer that as i dont have experience with it, maybe another user can help).

going bigger tires, like 35s as you stated, will not effect your transmission, however when you go a bigger size from stock its important to recalibrate your speedo to your new tire size so that it doesnt mess up your shifting points or youll just be working it more or what we call "hunting gears"... not hurt it. your fine. only thing 35s will truly hurt is your gas milage lol i went from avg 19mpg to avg 16mpg instantly.

If your concern is weight... toyo at3 is probably not the tire to go with. at3s are pretty dang heavy.

goodluck.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you’re looking for a plush ride the term “less wheel more sidewall” comes to mind.

This topic is very 2 sided there is tons and tons of opinions and options on wheel / tires.

read up on load range/index , ply’s and the differences between all terrains and mud terrains and hybrids. It’s pretty overwhelming trying to get that perfect tire.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
22"s can still ride good, sometimes tire choice matters more, as some ride harder then others, plus PSI of tires.

There's a guy running 285/55R22 with the help of a heat gun on front liners. It will all come down to budget and choice

Weight will affect MPG's

Users who are viewing this thread