5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wheel well covers?

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’d advise against this and would recommend the rear wheel liners. The amount of crap that makes it over this 1/3rd liners and gets stuck in the bumper is unreal. The liners stop that crap from accumulating.

Case in point, look how much crap I pull out of my Rebel that did not have the rear liners. This was one of the first things I purchased for my truck.

You might have convinced me. I need to go check how much mud is caked back there on mine.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
They came with my Laramie but I have the 4x4 off road and 4 corner air
It's the 4-corner air suspension that gave you the rear wheelhouse liners on your Laramie. The off-road group has nothing to do with it.

Waterfowler41

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You might have convinced me. I need to go check how much mud is caked back there on mine.

Yep, the spray in bedliner might look nice but it doesn’t provide any functional improvement. The liner will stop the crap from slinging up over that rear liner.

Good luck with your project!

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The big 3 frequently copy each other's trends. The generation of F-150 before our 5th gen Rams started not including wheel well liners as standard, and FCA saw that and followed it as well.

Same reason (or they followed the same reasoning) when they dropped the Ram down to 5 years/60k powertrain from the 5 years/100k we saw in 2015 MY and earlier. Ford and GM had both dropped theirs down, and FCA then dropped it as well for gas models. They evidently decided the number of buyers they were pulling from Ford/GM for that extra 40k mileage warranty wasn't worth the costs.

Not an excuse, I think its rather silly. Probably an easy "cash grab". $195 doesn't sound like much, but when you take that multiplied by thousands of trucks, it adds up.

Last edited:

CornTrucks

Reaction score
Even with a full wheel liner, mud and gravel will still get up on top of it. This was a major source of rust with the 4th gen pickups. I recommend cleaning up on the interior side of the liner occasionally. I can reach underneath from behind on my 4th gen and rinse it off pretty well, but I have heard of mechanics removing rear taillights to clean it out.

nburd

Reaction score
I just ordered mine from eBay and rock auto. With the bolts they were $160 delivered. They install in about 20 mins per side. I agree they should be standard. The amount of plastic difference Vs the 2 piece units is probably $1.00 in material cost. I plan on fluid filming all areas above them before installation.

Users who are viewing this thread