5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wheel & Tire Size Change: Need Help Deciding!

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Getting the Daystar spacer/Revel link combo done in a couple weeks and looking ahead to what new, exciting, and completely unnecessary things I can do with my wheel and tire setup! :D

Unsurprisingly, I am overwhelmed by the options. There will be some heavy towing in my future, but probably not for at least another year or two, and even then only a few times per year, so I am likely going to stick with XL tires. My 285/45r22's have a tiny sidewall and upgrading that is a focus. Broadly speaking I am currently looking at:

305/45r22 Toyo AT3's (+8% sidewall, tougher tire, higher load rating).

OR

Downsize to 20 inch wheels and get 275/60r20's for a whopping +30% (+20% vs 305's) sidewall increase.

However, I loose some width/overall size with the latter setup and have to go through the trouble and expense of getting new wheels on. BUT, my tires from that point forward will be much cheaper...

-Will the TPMS sensors from my 22's move over to my 20's, or do I need new ones?
-What about offset? RealTrucks.com shows a 20 inch wheel I'm looking at as having a 24mm offset for my truck, which I think means it will pull the wheels in closer to the truck? I'd rather have them a bit farther out, more like the 305's on my 22's might be.

I find the ride to be quite comfortable currently, so that's not a focus for me to switch to 20 inch wheels, but the cost of 305/45r22 and similar tires is. What do you guys think?? Bigger tires on the 22's? Downside to 20's? Consider LT tires? Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You could switch to a 20" wheel and a 305/55R20 tire. That would give you a sightly taller tire than the 275/60, but it would be 12" wide.

The TPMS sensors would transfer.

I don't like LT tires because they are heavy (bigger mpg hit) and they don't ride as smooth as XL tires.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You could switch to a 20" wheel and a 305/55R20 tire. That would give you a sightly taller tire than the 275/60, but it would be 12" wide.

The TPMS sensors would transfer.

I don't like LT tires because they are heavy (bigger mpg hit) and they don't ride as smooth as XL tires.
Yeah, I'm trying to stay away from LT's. And I'm noticing that going wider than 275 on 20 inch wheels puts you on them.

So I'm leaning towards keeping my 22's (which I adore the look of) and just going 305/45 like many others have done. Lift should guarantee I have no rub in any settings, even at full turn.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm trying to stay away from LT's. And I'm noticing that going wider than 275 on 20 inch wheels puts you on them.

So I'm leaning towards keeping my 22's (which I adore the look of) and just going 305/45 like many others have done. Lift should guarantee I have no rub in any settings, even at full turn.
There aren't many choices if you want a 12" wide tire in an XL. Nitto has two 305/55R20 XL's and Toyo has an SL. I agree...the 305/45R22's look great. The cost difference between 22's and 20's wouldn't deter me because tires last me ~7 years.

Last edited:

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There aren't many choices if you want a 12" wide tire in an XL. Nitto has two 305/55R20 XL's and Toyo has an SL. I agree...the 305/45R22's look great. The cost difference between 22's and 20's wouldn't deter me because tires last me ~7 years.
Thanks for the tips, I think I wrote too much for most people to bother deciphering lol

Think I will run out my current tires (unless they are really terrible in the snow) and then get some 305 Toyo's

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online