5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wheel spacers for offset/backspacing

mcp6530

Reaction score
I've read, I've researched, I have been on customoffests site and the tire calculator and offset sites. It's all been a huge learning curve. Just need a couple things answered please.

I run stock 20x9's wheels/tires on my 2019 Big Horn. Stock offset is +19 as you know.
I purchased Nitto G2's 305/55/20. Wider and bigger tire obviously. Wanted the size in XL version and not LT. Bilstein 5100 front level kit.
I would like a 0 or even a -10 or so offset and most of the setups I see say that I need a backspace of 5 to get there with those tires.
How do you obtain a backspace of 5? Do I need to purchase a 1" wheel spacer? Or how do you adjust backspacing? Is it just how the tire is mounted or is a part required to adjust that number?
Thanks in advance!

dtlrshp

Reaction score
To get your offset from +19 to 0, you would need a 19mm spacer (more appropriately called an adapter). Probably easier to find a 20mm, which would put you at -1 offset. These are millimeter measurements. 25.4mm = 1 inch

Zero offset means that the mounting point is directly center of the wheel width. So if your rim width is 9" wide, 0 offset would mean the face of the wheel where it meets your hub is directly in the middle, or 4.5" to each face of the rim.

1619889429041.png

Decuchi23

Reaction score
Make sure your wheels have the pockets in the back to allow room for the lugs. I believe 1 inch spacer is the lowest you can go without having to trim the lugs if you have the pockets. Also make sure you go with a quality hubcentric spacer.

rubrduk

Reaction score
I've read, I've researched, I have been on customoffests site and the tire calculator and offset sites. It's all been a huge learning curve. Just need a couple things answered please.

I run stock 20x9's wheels/tires on my 2019 Big Horn. Stock offset is +19 as you know.
I purchased Nitto G2's 305/55/20. Wider and bigger tire obviously. Wanted the size in XL version and not LT. Bilstein 5100 front level kit.
I would like a 0 or even a -10 or so offset and most of the setups I see say that I need a backspace of 5 to get there with those tires.
How do you obtain a backspace of 5? Do I need to purchase a 1" wheel spacer? Or how do you adjust backspacing? Is it just how the tire is mounted or is a part required to adjust that number?
Thanks in advance!
0 offset is going to be 5" backspace on a 9" rim,...You would be better with a 1.25" spacer, that puts you at -13 offset and you will clear the lugs without trimming (if you have the wheel pockets)

Also...only buy BORA spacers, they are proven safe and smart

The 305 Terra Grappler is a 12.1 wide tire (it's beefy, I had 305/45/22 on my Silverado...i put 65k miles on them and still had good tread)

mcp6530

Reaction score
0 offset is going to be 5" backspace on a 9" rim,...You would be better with a 1.25" spacer, that puts you at -13 offset and you will clear the lugs without trimming (if you have the wheel pockets)

The 305 Terra Grappler is a 12.1 wide tire (it's beefy, I had 305/45/22 on my Silverado...i put 65k miles on them and still had good tread)
Thanks - smallest I could find were 1.5" so I have those. May return them if I can find thinner but have not been able to.

mcp6530

Reaction score
Make sure your wheels have the pockets in the back to allow room for the lugs. I believe 1 inch spacer is the lowest you can go without having to trim the lugs if you have the pockets. Also make sure you go with a quality hubcentric spacer.
how do I know if i have "pockets"? it's the stock night edition 20'' rim (2019).

MarkB67

Reaction score
how do I know if i have "pockets"? it's the stock night edition 20'' rim (2019).
No offense but if you don’t know what a wheel pocket is you better make sure you get a professional to install your spacers for you

VaBeachRam

Reaction score

Do you know if you have the pockets if you can clear the lugs with 1" spacers? Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread