5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wheel Spacers any good?

BVelzy

Reaction score
Is anyone using wheel spacers on a 5th gen ram 1500? I have a 2020 ram 1500 and I was considering it but wanted to get some thoughts on it. Do you recommend them and have you had any issues using them let's say like a 2 inch wheel spacer?

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
plenty of users here, make sure to get hub centric
and I think the majority stay under 1.5" but I don't see 2" being an issue

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’ve only had mine on for a short while, but I would definitely recommend Bora. 1-1/2”, 1-1/4”, hubcentric.

Black19

Reaction score
Had mine on for about a month now. Bora. 1-1/4”, hubcentric. Looks great, but I seem to feel a slight light thump or vibration….feels like a mild wash board. Not sure what it could be, had tires balanced and rotated still doing it. Anyone have any. Thoughts…?

HemiDude

Reaction score
Had mine on for about a month now. Bora. 1-1/4”, hubcentric. Looks great, but I seem to feel a slight light thump or vibration….feels like a mild wash board. Not sure what it could be, had tires balanced and rotated still doing it. Anyone have any. Thoughts…?
First thing that comes to mind, did you make sure the hub mating surface was free of rust or debris? Also, did you torque the spacer lug nuts and wheel lug nuts to spec?

Black19

Reaction score
Torqued the spacer and then the wheel to 130ftlb drove for 50 miles and checked all looked good. I made sure the hub was clean, I did not scrape or wire wheel as it looked pretty good. I could try to clean better…??

HemiDude

Reaction score
Torqued the spacer and then the wheel to 130ftlb drove for 50 miles and checked all looked good. I made sure the hub was clean, I did not scrape or wire wheel as it looked pretty good. I could try to clean better…??
I don’t think you need to go crazy with the mating surfaces. I basically just wiped mine down and checked for imperfections. Sounds like you should be good. Do your tires have any cupping or excessive wear?

Something else I just thought of, I don’t know what wheels you have on there, but do the backside of your wheels have deep enough dimples to avoid contacting the hub studs?

Black19

Reaction score
I appreciate your thoughts. The tires seem pretty good. When having them rotated and balanced they did jot say anything about cupping. I see maybe a little, but not much. Tires have about 5/32.
Wheels are stock black wheels with the dimples. When I checked them I looked for any scratches or marks and did not see any.
Sounds I need to pull them off again and take a deeper dive into this to rule out a few things. Could be the tires….it might be in my head, but before the spacers I had to really feel for it and with the spacers it seems to be more pronounced. Wife hardy feels it, but says she can a little. I drive it daily and know it’s there slightly.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bora 2 inch spacers on my 2019 for 3 years no issues. Bora 2 inch spacers on my 2021 for 2 years+ no issues.

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
IMO, If your truck sees any off road, I personally wouldn't use spacers at all. If you drive strictly pavement, then sure. stick with Hubcentric and no more than 1", maybe 1.5". 2" id stay away

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just in case anyone was curious BORA stands for “Bulletproof Off Road Adapters”.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I personally would never run bigger than a 1.5". As mentioned hub centric and properly installed, plus Loctite. I've off-road with them on my Rubicon as many Wranglers do for the wider stance, plus also drove across country pulling a trailer on my 4th Gen RAM 1500 6" lift and 37X13.5 / Grand Cherokee and no issues.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Running 3/8 BORA’s front and back. Bought mainly to clear my UCA’s when I bought my Toyo AT3’s. No longer running the Toyo’s and really don’t need them now, but I like the flush look they provide so I left them on. Zero issues with them.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Running 3/8 BORA’s front and back. Bought mainly to clear my UCA’s when I bought my Toyo AT3’s. No longer running the Toyo’s and really don’t need them now, but I like the flush look they provide so I left them on. Zero issues with them.
I’m thinking of going with 1/2” Bora’s. But if 3/8” gets me flush, I might go that route. You say yours are flush, so im guess you don’t have Factory fender flares? I do not either.

Have any pics from the side that shows how flush they are? Thanks in advance.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m thinking of going with 1/2” Bora’s. But if 3/8” gets me flush, I might go that route. You say yours are flush, so im guess you don’t have Factory fender flares? I do not either.

Here you go...Just so happen to be in my garage, so I snapped this...
20230921_113344.jpg
Running 285/55's, so about 11.2 inches wide.
They sat out farther with my Toyo's. Flaps and no flares.
What I like most is zero rocker/side panel carnage. 👍

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Here's my bighorn with OEM 18" rebel wheels. I put Bora 1" on the rear and 3/4" on the front.
There is some poke, but these tires' treads aren't as wide as the overall tire width, so the tread doesn't poke as much as the whole tire does.

1695332317884.png

1695332431887.png

1695332482638.png

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here you go...Just so happen to be in my garage, so I snapped this...
View attachment 167740
Running 285/55's, so about 11.2 inches wide.
They sat out farther with my Toyo's. Flaps and no flares.
What I like most is zero rocker/side panel carnage. 👍

Awesome! Much appreciated friend.

You sold me on that route. Im going 285/65/r20 so I should be just about the same flushness as you. And then I’ll get the mud flaps as well for zero carnage!

Your truck looks sweet!

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here's my bighorn with OEM 18" rebel wheels. I put Bora 1" on the rear and 3/4" on the front.
There is some poke, but these tires' treads aren't as wide as the overall tire width, so the tread doesn't poke as much as the whole tire does.

View attachment 167741

View attachment 167742

View attachment 167743
Great looking rig. Did you have to trim your lugs to for the 3/4” and 1” spacers? I’m trying to avoid that and my research is leading me to either under 1/2” spacers or 1 1.25” spacers. But without flares, I think 1.25 is too much poke.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Great looking rig. Did you have to trim your lugs to for the 3/4” and 1” spacers? I’m trying to avoid that and my research is leading me to either under 1/2” spacers or 1 1.25” spacers. But without flares, I think 1.25 is too much poke.
Thanks!
No, I didn't have to cut any studs.
Both, my night edition 20" wheels and the rebel wheels' pockets are 1" deep. There was at least 1/8" clearance with the 3/4" spacers. I confirmed after installation - no contact and drives as good as before spacers.

Users who are viewing this thread