5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wheel spacer question

limechallenger

Reaction score
Seems to me that adding wheel spacers to our wheels is like moving the weight further away from wheel bearings causing damage to the bearing in the long term. Any opinions on long term affects on the hub bearings?

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Many run them, but no different then running a smaller to negative offset. Over time, yes bearings might not last as long.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You mean like increased off-center and angular load reducing life of the bearing? Totally agree, though I don't have any physical measurements or statistics to throw at it.

limechallenger

Reaction score
I don't have them , but always thought that could cause a problem down the road!

Ready Go

Reaction score
I imagine an engineer could calculate this for us, but I feel a 1" +/- spacer isn't going to significantly change the load on the bearings. IF the spacer was say maybe 6" somehow..for sure the load would cause the bearing to fail much quicker.

I'd say the biggest concern would be making sure the spacers have "true" surfaces! Machined billet would eliminate this..cast spacers would be a no go for me.

Fantastipotamus

Reaction score
Here's an engineer-written article explaining some of the forces/effects (and his opinion) of the changes:

akostaac

Reaction score
I’ve installed them on all my Rams and never an issue. Had them on my 2006 , 2015 which I owned for 6 yrs lifted, my 2021 and my 2022.

Users who are viewing this thread