5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wheel Lock Replacement

TexMarQue

Reaction score
So the dealership, apparently, removed my wheel lock key during servicing last week. I’m supposed to be getting new tires at 8:30 on Monday at Discount Tire. Any way to come up with a new key on a Sunday afternoon?

79 300

Reaction score
The dealer lost the wheel lock key on our Grand Cherokee a few years ago and said they had a master key to remove them- they were Mopar locks. I was taking it in to get the locks removed and replaced with new ones, and the tech suddenly found our missing key. I would check with the dealer before going to Discount Tire.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Depending on the wheel locks you can take them off with cheap tools anyways.
The Mopar wheel locks are junk and there are a bunch of videos online. Nothing that helps you on a Sunday for a Monday morning.
I would drive right into the dealership and make them find the wheel lock key, it's not something you just lose.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
McCard who makes the wheel locks for mopar are decent. They have a ring on the outside that spins and makes it difficult to remove. Very doable, best option is to go to the servicing dealer and explain they lost/misplaced the key. You had it for service and not sense then.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Discount Tire will have a wheel lock removal took. But I second going to dealer first thing and demanding something. Most service departments open at 6:30

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
McCard who makes the wheel locks for mopar are decent. They have a ring on the outside that spins and makes it difficult to remove.
What do you mean spin on the outside?
Before I took mine off they felt all solid, I think I still have them in a box somewhere.
You are saying the outside would spin when freely when grabbed???

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What do you mean spin on the outside?
Before I took mine off they felt all solid, I think I still have them in a box somewhere.
You are saying the outside would spin when freely when grabbed???
It's a ring on the outside just below the keyed area. That area is tapered and spins to prevent traditional hammer on removal tools from working easily.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230806_220619_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230806_220619_Chrome.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 20

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's a ring on the outside just below the keyed area. That area is tapered and spins to prevent traditional hammer on removal tools from working easily.
Interesting.
Challenge excepted.
No one stills rims or trucks around here luckily so I have no need for locking lugs anyways.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
If they are factory or dealer installed Mopar wheel locks (made by McGard) any dealer should be able to remove them with a "master" tool. The tire shop you're bringing it to should have something that will work to get them off as well. McGard is probably the most common brand of wheel locks. Most auto manufacturers use that brand relabeled as their own brand. A lot of repair shops will have the tools to remove them as well

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If they are factory or dealer installed Mopar wheel locks (made by McGard) any dealer should be able to remove them with a "master" tool. T
The "master" tool is a joke, most have their special tool from a tool company like Snap on, Mac and so on

Last edited:

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
The "master" tool is a joke, most have their special tool from a tool company like Snap o, Mac and so on
Yeah so what? That tool should get most the lock lugs off

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah so what? That tool should get most the lock lugs off
There is still that chance that they don't come off with a tool. Like I have stated, there is an outer ring that spins. That alone can make things difficult. THAT IS THE "SO WHAT" I am speaking about. Thank you for all of your help today and hopefully he falls in the "most" category.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
There is still that chance that they don't come off with a tool. Like I have stated, there is an outer ring that spins. That alone can make things difficult. THAT IS THE "SO WHAT" I am speaking about. Thank you for all of your help today and hopefully he falls in the "most" category.
Lol. First of all not all of the wheel locks have the outer ring that spins. My ram came with lock lugs and they did not spin. They were the McGard brand in a Mopar package. Secondly most repair shops, especially tire specific shops will have a way to remove them regardless of spin or no spin. Places like that deal with missing lock lug tools all the time. I've been in the automotive industry for 30+ years and have dealt with this $h!t more times than you can count. They may charge him to remove them but that's another story

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lol. First of all not all of the wheel locks have the outer ring that spins. My ram came with lock lugs and they did not spin. They were the McGard brand in a Mopar package. Secondly most repair shops, especially tire specific shops will have a way to remove them regardless of spin or no spin. Places like that deal with missing lock lug tools all the time. I've been in the automotive industry for 30+ years and have dealt with this $h!t more times than you can count. They may charge him to remove them but that's another story

Again that picture.... the ring spins when you try to use a hammer on style remover or a twist socket. You think I am making that up? I recommend you use all that experience and use the Google to see if they have a spinning collar on them.

I would love to see a picture of your non collared wheel locks, 13 years at a Ram dealer and haven't seen one sold from Mopar without that feature. I am always willing to learn, unlike some people.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230806_220619_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230806_220619_Chrome.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 3

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Again that picture.... the ring spins when you try to use a hammer on style remover or a twist socket. You think I am making that up? I recommend you use all that experience and use the Google to see if they have a spinning collar on them.

I would love to see a picture of your non collared wheel locks, 13 years at a Ram dealer and haven't seen one sold from Mopar without that feature. I am always willing to learn, unlike some people.
If I still had the truck I'd be happy to show you the non spinning wheel locks. My 21 BTS didn't even come with any on the wheels which I don't mind because they are a pain in the @ss anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread