5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wheel damage AHHH!

MTRHEAD

Reaction score
Anyone have any luck with repairing a scraped up wheel. My wife cut a right turn way too short today and skinned up the outer edge of the wheel. Scuffed the tire a bit but i think it's ok. Sucks having a 2 week old truck with a wheel messed up but i can't yell at her since she put's up with me. I'v heard of wheels being repaired but did not know how well that goes.

cjmst23

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that.... I got some road rash on the rims of my 370z and it's tough to repair. It can be done, but it takes some serious grinding and sanding... Not to mention the right touch.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It should be repaireable for about $100 at a wheel restoration shop. I’ve seen some amazingly good repairs. Just be sure to see their work before committing.

RT70808

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that.... I got some road rash on the rims of my 370z and it's tough to repair. It can be done, but it takes some serious grinding and sanding... Not to mention the right touch.
My wife road rashed both of the passenger wheels on her 2016 370z nismo. Even took some chunks out of the tires. Thankfully since she also did this to her 2010 370, I bought the $299 wheel protection plan on her 2016. The dealer replaced both tires and sent both rims off for repair. I visited the local shop and asked them what they do when there are chunks of metal missing. Their response: we weld new metal on and then recut and coat the rims. They came out flawless. Cost me $0 except for the $299 plan, and since 1 tire is $230 I came out on top.

MTRHEAD

Reaction score
My wife road rashed both of the passenger wheels on her 2016 370z nismo. Even took some chunks out of the tires. Thankfully since she also did this to her 2010 370, I bought the $299 wheel protection plan on her 2016. The dealer replaced both tires and sent both rims off for repair. I visited the local shop and asked them what they do when there are chunks of metal missing. Their response: we weld new metal on and then recut and coat the rims. They came out flawless. Cost me $0 except for the $299 plan, and since 1 tire is $230 I came out on top.
That's cool that kind of repair can be done. I found a shop in St. Louis that repairs wheels, i'll have to check them out.

cjmst23

Reaction score
So.... Probably worth the $375 for the Mopar tire and wheel plan? These 22s ain't gonna be cheap to repair.

warvet

Reaction score
Here, we have Rimguard Xtreme who goes around to all the dealerships repairing rim damage to cars on the lot. I called, they told me they would be at the Cadillac dealership, and I took a BMW rim to them......which they fixed on the spot for like $100. And that rim was bent---they straightened, then repaired the road rash, and did a color match paint over the repair. It wasn't perfect, but better than all that road rash.

Fast forward, they realized that consumers wanted more rim repairs than just the dealerships, so they opened a local shop.

Users who are viewing this thread