5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's your "windows down" configuration?

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As some of you have probably noticed, you can't really drive with just the driver's window down anymore. The aerodynamics have become so good that driver's window down only results in a hell of a thumping!

So far my favorite configuration has turned out to be driver's window all the way down, rear window all the way open. Fairly low road noise, nice breeze without it being a windstorm inside the cabin.

What's your setup? Other than 5 windows up and the AC on ;)

BlckDT

Reaction score
I have the Mopar window visors so I typically have the following window configuration:

NICE DAYS:
- Front driver/passenger window 1/2 down (or all the way)
- Rear driver/passenger window cracked open
- Pano sunroof glass and shade completely open
- Rear window open

RAINY DAYS:
- Front/Rear driver and passenger windows cracked open (No rain coming in due to the visors)
- Everything else closed up (including pano shade)

Lize

Reaction score
Same as OP. The Mopar window visors really help if I don’t open the back screen window.
EDIT: I was just doing a little over 60mph with only the drivers window down (fully) and little to no buffeting.

Last edited:

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
4 windows half way down, rear slider all the way open. Lots of air flow, no buffeting, but not as loud as if they were all the way down.

Turin

Reaction score
Around town: Driver's window all the way down, pano sunroof fully open. Sometimes I fully open the front passenger window as well.
On the highway: Side windows closed, pano sunroof open to first stop, rear window fully open. You get nice air movement with no buffeting and without getting blasted.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have found that having the rear sliding window open, sometimes just a small amount, will prevent the buffeting at lower speeds. Or, either front window down and one rear window half way. I have a Quad Cab. It may have a different result on the Crew Cabs.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 020829 miles.

BlckDT

Reaction score
I have the Mopar window visors so I typically have the following window configuration:

NICE DAYS:
- Front driver/passenger window 1/2 down (or all the way)
- Rear driver/passenger window cracked open
- Pano sunroof glass and shade completely open
- Rear window open

RAINY DAYS:
- Front/Rear driver and passenger windows cracked open (No rain coming in due to the visors)
- Everything else closed up (including pano shade)

Here’s a pic. Enjoy the weather!

ffaa8fc63e25e06c5a65590af01e141d.jpg

—-|||RAM|||-—
Phil

sent from my mobile device

Fantastipotamus

Reaction score
I have found that having the rear sliding window open, sometimes just a small amount, will prevent the buffeting at lower speeds. Or, either front window down and one rear window half way. I have a Quad Cab. It may have a different result on the Crew Cabs.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 020829 miles.
Yeah, it works the same in my crew cab. I can get away with both front windows down up to a certain speed as long as the windows are open similar amounts. But if I want just my driver window open, the buffeting is just brutal unless I open another window. I typically choose the rear slider to go with it.

DrAudio

Reaction score
Here’s a pic. Enjoy the weather!

ffaa8fc63e25e06c5a65590af01e141d.jpg

—-|||RAM|||-—
Phil

sent from my mobile device

Are the Mopar window visors in channel like AVS? Do they add much wind noise? I have AVS on my 2013 and they added a bit of wind noise from stock. My 2020 arrives soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BlckDT

Reaction score
Are the Mopar window visors in channel like AVS? Do they add much wind noise? I have AVS on my 2013 and they added a bit of wind noise from stock. My 2020 arrives soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
In channel and absolutely no noise.

Raydar

Reaction score
As some of you have probably noticed, you can't really drive with just the driver's window down anymore. The aerodynamics have become so good that driver's window down only results in a hell of a thumping!

Okay, I'm glad it's not just mine. (Not that I'm glad that it's bugging anyone else.)
Last time I heard a racket like that was in an old VW bug, with the sunroof open and the windows up. THRUMMMM!!!

Klute

Reaction score
In channel and absolutely no noise.

MOPAR or AVS in-channels?

I really like them, had on last 2 trucks, BUT the added visors make the A-pillar about 7-8 inches thick and creates a blind spot for this old man at night. Not a problem when well lit but country back roads it is an issue.

BlckDT

Reaction score
MOPAR or AVS in-channels?

I really like them, had on last 2 trucks, BUT the added visors make the A-pillar about 7-8 inches thick and creates a blind spot for this old man at night. Not a problem when well lit but country back roads it is an issue.

Mopar.

wangstarr03

Reaction score
Ironically mine doesn’t include the actual windows...sunroof on tilt/vent or open, rear window open. Allows for great airflow without wind blowing directly in my face.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ironically mine doesn’t include the actual windows...sunroof on tilt/vent or open, rear window open. Allows for great airflow without wind blowing directly in my face.
That's the configuration I used to use in my 1998 Nissan Frontier. It was my favorite air setup ever. Good air flow and no noise! Mostly I use the rear window open and either my window or the passenger window slightly open now.

djjr50

Reaction score
This exactly. Wish the rear glass slid all the way down like on the early Tundras.

Users who are viewing this thread