5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's your Mileage and what issues did you have?

ppowell1983

Reaction score
So, I have had my truck for 2.5 months and I turned 10,000 miles on it yesterday. I am in absolute love with this truck, it is by far the best driving truck I have ever owned or drove. The overall quality is great and for the level of refinement that this truck offers for the $50,439 that I paid for it just blows my mind. I wanted to start this thread to have more people post their mileage and what issues if any they had with the truck. Too many times people come to forums to ***** and we never hear from the people that had great experiences.

My truck has the weak AC which every truck I believe has the same issue but it's whether the owners recognize it. Being a 400 lb fat guy living in Chicago, I like to use the AC in January. So I used the information I found on this forum and installed the "AC Hack". I went with the valve and hose from O'Riley's and it works great. I keep a pair of pliers in my Rambox just in-case there's an emergency and I have to take it off ASAP.

The last issue I had was with extensive wind noise from the panoramic sunroof. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the seals and performed the TSB that's out on it, but it didn't fix my issue. The dealer then replaced the glass and the seals under the roof and now the wind noise is at an acceptable level and in line with other vehicles I have had with sunroofs.

I swapped out the 22" wheels for a set of Laramie Sport 20" wheels. I really liked the look of those and the ride is ALOT better than the 22" wheels that came with the truck.

Please tell us about your experiences and what you love about the truck. IMG_5632.JPG

Ram Limited with Chrome Wheels.png

IMG_2088.jpg

Yedi

Reaction score
10000 miles currently, @ 9800 the water pump started making a high pitch squeal, replaced under warranty. other than that, just software updates. love this truck. air ride has been priceless for towing, and the wow factor for those that have never seen a truck go up and down is priceless every time.

ppowell1983

Reaction score
10000 miles currently, @ 9800 the water pump started making a high pitch squeal, replaced under warranty. other than that, just software updates. love this truck. air ride has been priceless for towing, and the wow factor for those that have never seen a truck go up and down is priceless every time.
Did you happen to have the "ac Hack" installed when the water pump went out?

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have an early build Quad Cab (see signature) and just turned 21200 miles. This truck handles and rides exceptionally well and quieter than my two previous 4th gens. Everything that provides a tactile feel has been significantly upgraded on the DT. Gas mileage is very, very good. The best of my three Ram 1500s.

Mechanically I've had one sway bar link become noisy (no lube) and the freight car like howl from the rear brakes when backing in moist or rainy weather (new pad material). When new the front bumper was badly aligned, the box was too low on one side, and there was a rubbing-type squeak from the headliner (pads missing). These were all competently resolved by my dealer.

I have resolved some body panel mis-alignment myself. On the positive side, a friend of mine and I looked at every DT on my dealer's lot this past Sunday, and it looks like the recent builds are much better, dare I say almost perfect. Right now I'm feeling a very slight vibration between 56-59 MPH when in MDS. I will have this checked at my next service interval.

Overall I've had more individual quality issues than my two previous 4th gens combined. Although it's been annoying and inconvenient to return to the service department as many times as I have, after riding in and driving the 2019 competition I can say I'm glad for my patience. My service department has always been top notch and always delivered to my satisfaction, and this is the first Chrysler product I've ever owned that had these teething issues.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 021222 miles.

Yedi

Reaction score
Did you happen to have the "ac Hack" installed when the water pump went out?

No AC hack done, not willing to cob something while still under warranty. hoping RAM comes out with an easy fix, but doubt it

big al

Reaction score
I have an early build Quad Cab (see signature) and just turned 21200 miles. This truck handles and rides exceptionally well and quieter than my two previous 4th gens. Everything that provides a tactile feel has been significantly upgraded on the DT. Gas mileage is very, very good. The best of my three Ram 1500s.

Mechanically I've had one sway bar link become noisy (no lube) and the freight car like howl from the rear brakes when backing in moist or rainy weather (new pad material). When new the front bumper was badly aligned, the box was too low on one side, and there was a rubbing-type squeak from the headliner (pads missing). These were all competently resolved by my dealer.

I have resolved some body panel mis-alignment myself. On the positive side, a friend of mine and I looked at every DT on my dealer's lot this past Sunday, and it looks like the recent builds are much better, dare I say almost perfect. Right now I'm feeling a very slight vibration between 56-59 MPH when in MDS. I will have this checked at my next service interval.

Overall I've had more individual quality issues than my two previous 4th gens combined. Although it's been annoying and inconvenient to return to the service department as many times as I have, after riding in and driving the 2019 competition I can say I'm glad for my patience. My service department has always been top notch and always delivered to my satisfaction, and this is the first Chrysler product I've ever owned that had these teething issues.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 021222 miles.
Right now I'm feeling a very slight vibration between 56-59 MPH when in MDS. I will have this checked at my next service interval.

?? Did you throw a wheel?

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Right now I'm feeling a very slight vibration between 56-59 MPH when in MDS. I will have this checked at my next service interval.

?? Did you throw a wheel?
No. It turns out it had nothing to do with tires, wheels, or suspension.

At a small social gathering the subject of the price of gasoline came up and I and a couple others said that we were buying gas at one of the local car washes because they had about the lowest price in the county. One of the couple's sons was present who works at a local Chevrolet dealership service department, and chimed in they've had a number of complaints about engine performance issues with that specific gasoline. One of the examples was a vibration when in the Active Fuel Mode. According to him, changing fuels resolved that issue.

Just for the heck of it I ran three tanks of Mobil 93+ advertised with 2x fuel system cleaner and it's been smooth as silk ever since. It galls me to spent 50 to 70 cents more per gallon, but I've since switched to lower priced Mobil 89 and the vehicle is remarkably smooth.

Dirty injectors or valve crud? Don't know.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 028003 miles.

Firebird

Reaction score
17,000 miles, and it's the best truck I've owned! No real issues to date. IMG_20190812_134733.jpg

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
7500 miles, no issues, no recalls. Only an oil change so far.

Mileage is 15-16 around town, 19-21 on the highway and 9-10 towing. Each based on the lie-o-meter after at least 20 gallons consumed. 87 octane except when towing, then 89.

When my wife drives it she gets noticeably worse mileage.

Last edited:

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just turned 28,000 miles. Had some minor teething problems, but it's an early production unit. Past 12 months have been relatively problem free. Smooth, quiet, comfortable, responsive, excellent gas mileage. I was in a Cadillac the other night. The interior reminded me of an old Chevrolet. I haven't found a better looking and appointed interior in any car, or any competitive truck yet.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 028003 miles.

snj1013

Reaction score
Nearly 6 months and 5k miles. No real issues to speak of. Sway bar knock that was repaired under warranty. I think the dealer just tighten the end link

Last edited:

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
17,000 miles, and it's the best truck I've owned! No real issues to date. View attachment 43729
Nice looking truck. Did you have the pinstripe installed, or dealer installed? In the picture it looks like you've got 14 coats of wax on it!!!

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 028051 miles.

Bearman95

Reaction score
3000 miles in four months, no issues whatsoever including no air-conditioning issues, on my 2020 Laramie sport 4x4 Purchased in September of last year! I drive it every day just not very far, 6 mile commute to work and back. Took a trip to Colorado and back to Fort Worth Texas when the truck just had 200 miles on it. Average 21.7 miles per gallon I believe! That was using 89 octane.

Firebird

Reaction score
Nice looking truck. Did you have the pinstripe installed, or dealer installed? In the picture it looks like you've got 14 coats of wax on it!!!

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 028051 miles.
Thank you! Those are dealer installed stripes, I try hard to keep it clean, black is tough, but looks good when waxed.

Users who are viewing this thread