5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's this in my cabin ceiling?

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dent removal is done by massaging the metal back into shape. This tool slides between two panels, or in very tight places that a round tool can't fit. The tool is then used by twisting the handle to get one side to push up on the dent while the other side is braced against the inside panel. These whale tail tools will do great damage to metal and will crack the paint if used incorrectly.

Last edited:

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Dent removal is done by massaging the metal back into shape. This tool slides between two panels, or in very tight places that a round tool can't fit. The tool is then used by twisting the handle to get one side to push up on the dent while the other side is braced against the inside panel. These whale tale tools will do great damage to metal and will crack the paint if used incorrectly.

You beat me to it. I wonder if that was from pre-delivery damage (before it got to the first owner)

TittoPollito

Reaction score
Yep and it happens in aviation too. Twice, I've found tools left in the wheel wells of a Boeing 737. One was a wrench and the other was a plumb bob. After calling maintenance to show them the misplaced tools, one guy said, "You'll notice that there aren't any initials engraved on that plum bob and for good reason". He said the Snap On guy makes a lot of money reselling the same tool over and over to the same guy. :ROFLMAO: I've found quite a few tools left in the flight deck too. The techs are more than happy to reclaim those. They're human...:poop: happens.
We just had an aircraft come in for a post hard landing inspection. Operator complaint was a vibrating noise in the FWD Mid Cabin section, pulled up the carpet and floor boards and found the bright orange drill guide used during the fuselage joining process. Apparently the 8 Clecos used to a fix the drill guide had been holding that frame station and stringers together since 2001 when the aircraft was assembled.

Ramjack

Reaction score
I got it out! After deciding it definitely wasn't part of the truck, I put some effort into moving it around and was able to pull it out through the 3rd brake light opening. It's some kind of tool, probably for installing interior stuff. About 30" long with a flat ax like end.
It's strange I've had the truck for 3 years and it only recently started clanging around up there.

View attachment 134371 View attachment 134372
'Ya know, this could be like the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory thing. You may have the "golden truck." You may have one the $1 billion prize !! Unfortunately, Stellantis likely doesn't have $1B of unencumbered cash to pay you.

Mister 4x4

Reaction score
Better hope that someone from corporate legal doesn't see this and demand return of factory property - could become a major liability suit. :ROFLMAO:

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's not a factory tool. It was left by a lot tech that removed a dent in the roof. Could have been a hail damaged truck that only had a couple dents. The tool has a value to a PDR tech. If you were near Orlando, I'd buy it from you.

Users who are viewing this thread