5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's killing my battery

gadrius

Reaction score
I purchased my 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn a few months back from my local dealership. The truck was used with 25k miles on it and still under factory warranty. A few days after purchasing the truck wouldn't start. The dealership towed it in for a diagnostic and advised me I had a bad battery. After a lengthy argument they agreed to replace the battery under warranty. The truck was fine for about a month and now its dead again. I had it towed in and the dealership is telling me that my evap pump is stuck on and will have to be replaced along with the battery again because it's drained the life out of it. The cost for this is $ 700 on a truck I just purchased four months ago. I've read on other forums about other owners encountering issues with the truck draining the battery. Anyone else having battery issues?

Boston

Reaction score
What’s wrong with the warranty? 25k on a 19 should still be valid.

datammwv13

Reaction score
Have similar problems. Dealership has replaced my battery as they stated that was issue. Since then have gone out to truck after 3 days of sitting and truck completely dead. Put on a charger for about 8 hours starts and runs fine. I have 44200 miles on so I am out of warranty. I just carry a portable charger all the time now. I know Dealership will charge way to much for incorrect diagnosis again. So have decided to live with it for now.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

gadrius

Reaction score
Have similar problems. Dealership has replaced my battery as they stated that was issue. Since then have gone out to truck after 3 days of sitting and truck completely dead. Put on a charger for about 8 hours starts and runs fine. I have 44200 miles on so I am out of warranty. I just carry a portable charger all the time now. I know Dealership will charge way to much for incorrect diagnosis again. So have decided to live with it for now.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
I'm an electrician and if something stays running all the time and you want it off then why not kill the power? They say my pump stays running even after shutting off the truck. That doesn't sound like a pump issue to me, it sounds like a stuck relay or computer not sending the OFF signal. I think I'm going to wire the darn thing to a power source that turns off with the key and live with it. It runs fine when the truck is running so what would be the difference? I think they're scamming me.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you have Tazer DT installed, I have read a few complaints of the Tazer not going into sleep mode causing the battery to drain.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

gadrius

Reaction score
Do you have Tazer DT installed, I have read a few complaints of the Tazer not going into sleep mode causing the battery to drain.

No. No Tazer installed.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why isn't the new battery and evap pump covered under warranty, it sounds like your under 3 year /36k bumper to bumper warranty.

brewdad

Reaction score
Basic warranty is 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first; at 40,000 miles, only the 5/60,000 powertrain warranty remains.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Basic warranty is 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first; at 40,000 miles, only the 5/60,000 powertrain warranty remains.
Yeah missed the post where he now has 40k. It sounded like we only had truck for little over a month, never imagined he could go from 25 to 40k is such short period of time. None the less I would make the argument it wasnt fixed correctly the first time, FCA may split the cost.

gadrius

Reaction score
Yeah missed the post where he now has 40k. It sounded like we only had truck for little over a month, never imagined he could go from 25 to 40k is such short period of time. None the less I would make the argument it wasnt fixed correctly the first time, FCA may split the cost.

That's my argument with them now. If the 1 year old battery went bad that should have been reason to look a little deeper plus I'm barely over the 36k threshold.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's my argument with them now. If the 1 year old battery went bad that should have been reason to look a little deeper plus I'm barely over the 36k threshold.
I would open a case with FCA due to the circumstances. I don't think they will cover it completely but I have seen others pay as little as $100 which is better then nothing.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Yeah, Do just enough to get it out of warranty so you have to really pay to actually fix the problem.

I watched a youtube video where the truck would die overnight. Apparently after 2-3 hrs of sitting,
The truck would turn something on and drain the battery. The Mechanic had to leave it connected
to a monitoring computer to see what was happening. He located the problem and fixed it properly.
Other shops would test for a few minutes, and say the could not find anything wrong.

Malodave

Bob G

Reaction score
Had same issue. Went to start up and Ram was dead. Electrical system appeared to go haywire. No turnover at all when trying to start. Just a POP. Blind spot monitors on mirrors on. Tail gate would not open. Lights would not work. For a while interior message on dash would not turn off. Tried to jump start but not response. Appeared to be electrcal malfunction.
Dealership not able to find issue other than the Battery was dead. We do not know what caused the battery drain. Had problem towing it at first. First Tow Driver declined service, he did not know how to release truck to neutral for towing. The second one knew his stuff. There is console underneath the Steering wheel. If your Ram dies on you and you need to release the transmission for towing. Open this console and pull on Rip Cord.

Users who are viewing this thread