5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's behind this piece of trim?

SynAckuL

Reaction score
Does anyone know what is behind this interior piece? I'd like to mount a rail on it, but don't want to damage anything that might be behind or inside this piece of trim. I'm hoping it's just metal or hard plastic with the dash material on top.

Also, if you open the upper glove box, is there anything under the bottom of it that I might need to be worried about? I may also hide the rail inside the glove box.

20190717_170039.jpg

Hockeygod1225

Reaction score
Does anyone know what is behind this interior piece? I'd like to mount a rail on it, but don't want to damage anything that might be behind or inside this piece of trim. I'm hoping it's just metal or hard plastic with the dash material on top.

Also, if you open the upper glove box, is there anything under the bottom of it that I might need to be worried about? I may also hide the rail inside the glove box.

View attachment 31072
There are some wires back there, many brackets, the airbag is on top of the top box. There is quite a bit back there and the dash disassembly is a pia. If you take your time and plan it out you should be fine.

SynAckuL

Reaction score
Lol, you don’t like to share your plans? Brand? Model? What your gonna mount there?

If you click on the link in my signature, you'll see the exact rails and the current placement. They are going to be used to hold equipment for overlanding, like a radio, radio mic, and tablet for maps. I've been trying to keep a pretty detailed build going, with links to parts, etc.

A10

Reaction score
If you click on the link in my signature, you'll see the exact rails and the current placement. They are going to be used to hold equipment for overlanding, like a radio, radio mic, and tablet for maps. I've been trying to keep a pretty detailed build going, with links to parts, etc.

Sorry, I overlooked the link before. Looks like you have a ton of work into your truck! Well done!!

SynAckuL

Reaction score
Oh yeah! No worries. I wasn't trying to be short - if it came across that way. I'm trying to keep everything in one thread.

I was originally looking at putting a rail at that location, but I went another route. I'm still thinking that the map pocket is going to be to wobbly, but I won't know until I get the final pieces in for the radio mount. Hopefully, I'll have them by this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread