5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What wax or coating to put on new RAM?

BobK

Reaction score
Ok, so back in the day... We put on Turtle Wax. Wax On - Wax Off, until your wrists hurt.
I am a Ryobi tool guy and have almost everything from them, now I see they have a polisher.
Would get this to do my new RAM. But now they talk about "ceramic" coatings. Anyone do this to their truck?
If so what brands? Wax or Ceramic? When Spring gets here, want to do this.
Had a Armor All treatment put on my wife's new Subaru and it certainly sheds water better, get dirty less but wondering what anyone else uses and recommends?
1614799490097.png

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would not get this in my opinion. Get an actual Dual Action polisher. As for Wax vs Ceramics, it is all personal preference. I have recently watched a ton of videos (north of 20hrs I'd say) on washing, waxing, polishing, products or you name it. Pan the Organizer has a lot of videos out there and is very helpful. There are a ton of others out there with good information. No matter your choice it is better than what was out the 5yrs ago. I personally will go with a Si02 wax and won't do a polish on the new truck but will do a good cleaning of the surface before I put a wax on. Everyone will have an opinion so take them all with a grain of salt and stick with your decision.

SpookyWatcher

Reaction score
I too was/am a wax guy. But with the brand new Rebel I decided to try the Hybrid Solutions (Turtle wax ) Ceramic Spray. Super easy to apply. Two sprays per panel, Use micro fiber to spread, then use separate microfiber to easily buff. Don't use too much per panel.

I don't think it is quite as good as a ole fashioned quality wax. But it is Incredibly easy to use and when using wax I always hated getting it in the plastic trim areas because of the white (staining) the wax caused. The ceramic spray doesn't do that. In fact...it makes all trim look Better and protects it.

I also put it on my get around car which resides outside. The ceramic spray is not lasting as long as the quality wax. But it's so dang easy to apply the ceramic that it's no big deal to do a quick application after a wash. So long wind short... I'll keep using it for now.

This is the stuff : https://www.turtlewax.com/products/hybrid-solutions-ceramic-wax-spray-coating-16-fl-oz

Hope it helps you

SpookyWathcer

BobK

Reaction score
My teenager sent me multiple things online saying with todays paint job's wax is not needed as they were mainly to prevent fading. The ceramic is what they use today he says. :) He is up on all this stuff. I will look into that other polisher, i just prefer to stay in the Ryobi family since i have tons of batteries, etc. Certainly not interested in doing it by hand with how much there is to do on my truck. :)

TX_Phil

Reaction score
Ceramic seems to be the hot ticket now. For me it's a bit pricey to have it done professionally and I doubt I have the skill to do it myself. I went with turtle wax ice seal and shine..
Wash the truck
Decontamination using clay bar
Wash again
Spray on the Seal and Shine.
A little goes a long way.

I did this just after buying the truck in September 2019. I reapplied the Seal and Shine a 2nd time in November 2020 I believe,. Surface is still glassy smooth.

Someone already mentioned the turtle wax hybrid ceramic spray. Used this on my daughters Escape and it works great also. She is in Chicago and parks outside and so far this coating has held up well to the winter road conditions.

Not saying my way is the best way but it has worked well for me so far.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Reactions: c3k

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just did a complete paint correction on my Rebel a week ago. That includes a wash, clay bar and polish. Not sure why anyone would say that you don't need to polish. Depending on how long the vehicle sat on the dealer's lot, determines how much work might be needed. The dealer lot guys do a quick wash, sometimes with a brush and if they dry, do they make sure the dry rag is perfectly clean? I doubt it.

My truck's paint sounded like sandpaper as I used the clay bar on it. When complete, there were micro swirls on all top surfaces. This requires paint correction and polish to remove.

I've been thinking about doing ceramic coating on the truck, but I'm not sold on it yet. In Florida, I question if it holds up much better than wax. So, until I decide, Meguiar's NXT 2.0 is the product I use.

As for the DA polisher, you're best bet is the Porter Cable 7424XP. You can't beat the price and it's recommended by many detailing professionals.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just did a complete paint correction on my Rebel a week ago. That includes a wash, clay bar and polish. Not sure why anyone would say that you don't need to polish. Depending on how long the vehicle sat on the dealer's lot, determines how much work might be needed. The dealer lot guys do a quick wash, sometimes with a brush and if they dry, do they make sure the dry rag is perfectly clean? I doubt it.

My truck's paint sounded like sandpaper as I used the clay bar on it. When complete, there were micro swirls on all top surfaces. This requires paint correction and polish to remove.

I've been thinking about doing ceramic coating on the truck, but I'm not sold on it yet. In Florida, I question if it holds up much better than wax. So, until I decide, Meguiar's NXT 2.0 is the product I use.

As for the DA polisher, you're best bet is the Porter Cable 7424XP. You can't beat the price and it's recommended by many detailing professionals.
I used the PC DA polisher for a couple years until it sheared off while using it. Lucky to have avoided some major damage. I replaced it with Griots and like it better all the way around. I know I was the anomaly, but I personally think porter cable just isn't the company it used to be from a quality standpoint.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

DSTJ99

Reaction score
I too was/am a wax guy. But with the brand new Rebel I decided to try the Hybrid Solutions (Turtle wax ) Ceramic Spray. Super easy to apply. Two sprays per panel, Use micro fiber to spread, then use separate microfiber to easily buff. Don't use too much per panel.

I don't think it is quite as good as a ole fashioned quality wax. But it is Incredibly easy to use and when using wax I always hated getting it in the plastic trim areas because of the white (staining) the wax caused. The ceramic spray doesn't do that. In fact...it makes all trim look Better and protects it.

I also put it on my get around car which resides outside. The ceramic spray is not lasting as long as the quality wax. But it's so dang easy to apply the ceramic that it's no big deal to do a quick application after a wash. So long wind short... I'll keep using it for now.

This is the stuff : https://www.turtlewax.com/products/hybrid-solutions-ceramic-wax-spray-coating-16-fl-oz

Hope it helps you

SpookyWathcer

I tried the new TW ceramic spray too. It’s only been one month so we will see how it holds up but it’s very easy to apply. I washed with a wax stripping soap, clay barred car, rinsed with wipeout and then did two coats of this with 24 hour between time dry in the garage. I’d be happy if it lasts a few months. I only washed it once so far and it was quite easy. Simple enough application to do 2-3 times per year and i feel like I used 1of the bottle.

I also tried Wolfgang sealant and Mothers CMX ceramic before. Both worked well and lasted few months.

‘21 1500 Ltd, Max Steel / Indigo Frost

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've heard that about PC. I haven't had any issues with mine yet, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

tones2SS

Reaction score
The best protection is PPF, but it is VERY expensive.
I LOVE ceramic coatings. I had my truck professionally done a couple of months after I got it. HIGHLY recommended. It was only a 2 year coating, so it is mostly gone now.

But, since you asked about wax, my favorite wax right now is CAR GUYS LIQUID PREMIUM WAX/SEALANT. Stuff is absolutely amazing.
I did a 90% detail on my truck in May of last year. I only waxed it that once and washed regularly. We just had a pretty crappy winter with snow/sand/salt/chemicals on the roads. I can just now see that the wax is starting to wear away in spots. Almost a full year of protection. One of the best parts about it,........super easy on/super easy off. No hard rubbing. The other best part,....................MADE IN THE U.S.A.
Sometimes it's hard to get the stuff. Both Amazon and the Car Guys website were sold out of it at one point. I have a half bottle and full bottle. Stocked up on it. lol

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don't use any wax. Did paint correction with a long throw griots DA and euro closed cell foam pads and 3D One. I then had PPF done on the entire front including full fenders and hood then I ceramic coated it myself with 2 coats of Gyeon Mohs.
I use Adam's graphene detail spray and graphene ceramic sprays about once every other month.

I bought some Carpro 3.0UK ceramic coat to try next time, I'll probably compound the truck next fall and try the Carpro. No need for waxes the new turtle wax ceramic spray waxes and polishes work well, just don't last long

BobK

Reaction score
All great info! Thanks! The clay bar sounds like much more work than I am interested in doing myself. Lol. Seems like that is the hardest/time consuming part. Which is why I liked applying wax or the newer ceramic stuff with a polisher. Next week will hit 60 here in Upstate NY so looking forward to getting this done.
Had my truck since November. Got it as it rolled off the delivery truck but its been a bad winter here.
:)

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Actually, clay bar is a very simple task. Many people overdo the process of detailing their vehicles. I see videos of people foaming their cars, then rinsing it off, then wash it, dry it, clay bar with lubrication spray, wash again, dry again, then wax or protect.

I rinse the truck very well before washing. I wash once, rinse, and using the soapy wash water as a lubricant, re wet each panel and run the clay bar over it. If there's enough lubricant, the clay bar doesn't catch and leave any residue. If it does catch, use the wash mit to wipe the area before rinsing. Rinse, dry and your ready for wax/sealant.

Not including the door jambs being fully detailed, I can wash, clay and dry in less than an hour.

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
OP - lots of good info so far. I'd encourage you to also check out the Detailing section of the forum. Lots of good info there, too.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
All great info! Thanks! The clay bar sounds like much more work than I am interested in doing myself. Lol. Seems like that is the hardest/time consuming part. Which is why I liked applying wax or the newer ceramic stuff with a polisher. Next week will hit 60 here in Upstate NY so looking forward to getting this done.
Had my truck since November. Got it as it rolled off the delivery truck but its been a bad winter here.
:)

Get this claybar pad, very easy to use and not a lot of work

autogeek_2268_312327862

You can use it with a DA polisher but I haven't tried that.
The hardest/time consuming part is paint correction and it multiple passes, clay barring is nothing

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm also trying the claybar pad approach as well on the new vehicle and my current JGC.

Jason605

Reaction score
After clay bar and polish I'm gonna give this a try.

Neil McCauley

Reaction score
Ceramic is a great investment on a new vehicle. Wish I had done mine when it was new.

Users who are viewing this thread