5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What to use to clean dash in a leather upholstered truck?

DeckArtist

Reaction score
I tried leather dressing but I didn’t like the way it looked has anybody found a really good product for our interiors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gromicide

Reaction score
Clean with a MF towel or MF sponge using any decent interior cleaner. Not protectant...this would just be a cleaner. Then go back over with 303 aerospace protectant. This stuff is awesome on leather, dash, doors, plastic and rubber trim. A good cleaner like Maguiars all purpose comes in a gallon size and can be dilluted 20:1 with distilled water. Will last forever. Dillute 4:1 for stronger for tires, wheel wells etc

BNeal

Reaction score
I talked to my detailer and he said they only use warm water with a very small amount of dish detergent with a MF towel. If you stay on top of it, it should be easy to keep clean.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I talked to my detailer and he said they only use warm water with a very small amount of dish detergent with a MF towel. If you stay on top of it, it should be easy to keep clean.

For most issues this works fine along with a matte finish topper like 303 Aero or CarPro Perl. I like the Chemical Guys leather cleaner/protector for the leather dash pieces.

Golferdawg17

Reaction score
I wouldnt use anything other than a damp cloth, as protectants could possibly seep through the thin clear coating that's sprayed on the leather, releasing the adhesive causing the dash to delaminate. JMHO
I just purchased a certified pre-owned Longhorn where this has happened (started to delaminate in 2 convex sections of the dash). I’m going to see what the dealer will do, first, to fix it; but, if they balk, I’m wondering if more adhesive can be injected using a fine needle. Have you run into this before? If so, how did you remedy? First thing I’m going to do is purchase clear UV protection for the windshield to prevent further damage. Thanks for sharing any thoughts you may have on this.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use Mother's VLR. It's for vinyl leather and rubber. It leaves absolutely no shine or greasy feeling. It freshens up the interior, while conditioning the surfaces, protecting them from cracking.

"Mothers® VLR quickly and easily cleans, conditions and protects a wide variety of vinyl, leather and rubber surfaces. This pro-strength, pH balanced formula safely cleans even the most stubborn ground-in dirt, soil and stains. Infused with neatsfoot oil and lanolin, this all-in-one blend conditions and protects against drying, fading and cracking, in one simple step."

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just purchased a certified pre-owned Longhorn where this has happened (started to delaminate in 2 convex sections of the dash). I’m going to see what the dealer will do, first, to fix it; but, if they balk, I’m wondering if more adhesive can be injected using a fine needle. Have you run into this before? If so, how did you remedy? First thing I’m going to do is purchase clear UV protection for the windshield to prevent further damage. Thanks for sharing any thoughts you may have on this.
I really think the adhesive just failed and the sun didn't have anything to do with it. If FCA denies the claim and it was mine bugging the daylights out of me, I'd locate a custom auto trim shop in my area and get a quote. I wouldn't let the dealer do it as a customer pay.

Injecting adhesive works with wood floors but you'd never get it flat and you'd chase air bubbles, I'd think.

Golferdawg17

Reaction score
I really think the adhesive just failed and the sun didn't have anything to do with it. If FCA denies the claim and it was mine bugging the daylights out of me, I'd locate a custom auto trim shop in my area and get a quote. I wouldn't let the dealer do it as a customer pay.

Injecting adhesive works with wood floors but you'd never get it flat and you'd chase air bubbles, I'd think.
Thanks for sharing your opinion. That makes sense. The dealer said the truck is covered from bumper to bumper the first 90 days; so, I guess I’ll see what they can do about it. I certainly don’t want to get into the situation where the entire dash is replaced with the same problem.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's been brought a few times over the last 2 and a half years. It's far from a widespread problem. Good luck. Mine sat in the Florida sun for the first year and a half. Now it hardly sees sun up in Michigan.

Big White RAM

Reaction score
Adhesive can be injected via a thin needle into a raised section of leather or vinyl and rolled out flat. The key here is to make a few punctures with a small sewing needle in the raised area to release the trapped air. By using a small sewing needle, there will be little, if any, adhesive that will come out. If some does and you used contact cement, (which is recommended) it's best to let it cure and then gently rub (roll) it off. I've done repairs such as this on vehicles in the past with very good results; just takes finesse and much patience.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I use Meguiar's Quick Interior Detailer & microfiber. Works on everything except fabric on an interior, including clear lenses (gauges) and screens. It's very light, not oily in any way, seems almost like water, completely factory matte finish & nice mild smell, also has UV protection.

Whatever you do, stay away from Meguiar's Ultimate Interior Detailer, the smell from that is not very good.

Another product that works well is Lemon Pledge. Motorcycle people have been using it for years for everything, its really the original quick detailer, safe on all surfaces (except fabric). I use it on leather, vinyl, chrome, clear plastics, painted surfaces, etc. Leaves no oily residue, only a light matte finish. I will use it on car interiors, motorcycle exterior, bicycle exterior, my leather wallet, my lady's purse, plastic RC bodies, pretty much anything not fabric and also works great on wood :)

Last edited:

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wouldnt use anything other than a damp cloth, as protectants could possibly seep through the thin clear coating that's sprayed on the leather, releasing the adhesive causing the dash to delaminate. JMHO
I'm in agreement. A good friend of mine was using some kind of leather protectant on his Silverado's leather and after a while the surface developed a whitish film all over it. I don't have a leather dash, but on the leather portions of my Laramie's interior I use a damp cloth or a very mild dish soap mixture to clean.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 043978 miles.

rotts4u

Reaction score
I wipe my seats and dash with a damp microfiber or an interior detailer. On the Longhorn I have I tried something new to me when I got it. Gyeon Leather coat. I am only a year in so far but I like what it has done. I dont know if it makes a difference or not but I do know Gyeon is a VERy high end detailing company so I trust their products and so far so good.

Panicvector426

Reaction score
I use Adam’s Polishes leather and interior cleaner to clean followed by interior dressing which leaves a factory brand new matte finish while conditioning and adding UV protectant. For quick maintenance I use Adam’s Polishes interior detailer. They have a variety of scents that all smell AMAZING. If you’re looking for a little richer, tad bit shinier then matte look, use their leather conditioner which also has a really great leather scent

Golferdawg17

Reaction score
It's been brought a few times over the last 2 and a half years. It's far from a widespread problem. Good luck. Mine sat in the Florida sun for the first year and a half. Now it hardly sees sun up in Michigan.
Glad to hear it’s not a widespread problem. I guess these are the risks you take when you buy 1st year of new generation...always some little nuance. I love this truck though! It rides great.

Golferdawg17

Reaction score
Adhesive can be injected via a thin needle into a raised section of leather or vinyl and rolled out flat. The key here is to make a few punctures with a small sewing needle in the raised area to release the trapped air. By using a small sewing needle, there will be little, if any, adhesive that will come out. If some does and you used contact cement, (which is recommended) it's best to let it cure and then gently rub (roll) it off. I've done repairs such as this on vehicles in the past with very good results; just takes finesse and much patience.
Great insight! If the dealership doesn’t have someone that has expertise in this, I’ll try to find someone that does. If all else fails. I’ll give it a whirl.
Are you better off injecting the contact cement in multiple spots (Each of my 2 areas on each side of the center console is roughly 10” x 5”), or just one hole at the highest point (with sewing needle holes for escaping air)?
Lastly, do you happen to have a link for the hypodermic needle you used?
Really appreciate your help!

Big White RAM

Reaction score
Great insight! If the dealership doesn’t have someone that has expertise in this, I’ll try to find someone that does. If all else fails. I’ll give it a whirl.
Are you better off injecting the contact cement in multiple spots (Each of my 2 areas on each side of the center console is roughly 10” x 5”), or just one hole at the highest point (with sewing needle holes for escaping air)?
Lastly, do you happen to have a link for the hypodermic needle you used?
Really appreciate your help!
With larger areas to repair, it will be necessary to inject adhesive in multiple areas. Keep in mind, there will be small pin holes left where the needle was injected, and due to the large area being repaired, will most likely be noticeable. However, if you take your time, the repair will look much better than the raised delamination you have now. Your best bet with the injector is to get a printer ink cartridge refill kit that includes the syringe / needle, then using a small file, angle the tip so it will be sharp. Also, dont overfill the areas with adhesive, as this will cause it to be raised and lumpy.

Users who are viewing this thread