5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What to sacrifice when looking for a new truck

PTRAM

Reaction score
Definitely, get what you want the first time. I had wanted a Ram for some time but wanted some of the safety features that came out on the 2019 model. You can see most of my features on the one I purchased on my signature. I did get the LED lights and the Blind Spot with Cross Path and Trailer Detection. I have on my 2017 Jeep TH the Safety Technology group and I thought I could live without it and I can, but I am sorry I didn't do more research. You have to go to the Laramie level 2 equipment group to even be able to get the Safety group. I prefer the Quad Cab for my purposes and that is very difficult to find in a Laramie with the Safety Group. I would have been probably spent another 6 to 7 grand to move up to that. Now, of course it would cost me even more to trade up since I would lose a bundle on what I have. I love my Ram and am glad I at least have the Blind Spot as that is especially good on a truck.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You have the limited/adaptive- I suspect they are better than the non-adaptive leds available on the Bighorn/Laramie. I’ve just seen (and read complaints) that the ‘accent’ bars don’t function as drl’s like they do on the ford/chevy/gmc trucks..

They don't function like DRL's apparently by design. There was a discussion about that.... Since the accent lights are only half as bright, the headlights on the Laramie Longhorn and Limited function as the DRLs. I am guessing the Bighorn/Sport/and Laramie have additional DRLs in the lighting housing for this function.

ClancyO

Reaction score
They don't function like DRL's apparently by design. There was a discussion about that.... Since the accent lights are only half as bright, the headlights on the Laramie Longhorn and Limited function as the DRLs. I am guessing the Bighorn/Sport/and Laramie have additional DRLs in the lighting housing for this function.

It's just the headlights on the Bighorn too.. All of this makes me even less regretful for not getting the led package and convinces me that RAM failed on all trim levels in this regard. I'm sure the aftermarket will catch up soon, and expect the mid-cycle refresh of the 5th gen will have something else risk being the last vehicle on earth without some sort of led/accent drl.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
I was in the same boat as you, just looking at used trucks.

Decided i had to have crew cab, ramboxes, front bench seat, 3.92 gears. Those things really limited my options, but i'm glad i waited for a truck that had them.

You'll have to decide for yourself how important ramboxes are, as that really limits your options. If you can afford it, ordering is likely your best bet.

Users who are viewing this thread