5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What to Expect with 22” Wheels?

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not true, I just replaced my worn out Goodyear's with Pirelli Scorpion AS+3's and the ride quality, IMO, actually increased.
Steering is a touch quicker as well
Not agreeing or disagreeing with either of you. Just pointing out that you did not refute his point. He said if you replaced OEM tires with the same retail tire. That is not what you did when you switched to the Pirelli's.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not agreeing or disagreeing with either of you. Just pointing out that you did not refute his point. He said if you replaced OEM tires with the same retail tire. That is not what you did when you switched to the Pirelli's.

The OEM Goodyear touring tire is identical to the Goodyear Touring retail tire, sku is actually the same as is the Temp and Treadwear. Discount tire Goodyear Touring would perform the same as the OEM tire as its the very same tire

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Just make sure any tire you consider has the 3PMSF symbol and you'll be good. Unlike the nearly meaningless M + S rating, the 3PMSF rating is something that can only be put on a tire that meets certified testing. Here's some light reading if you're not familiar with what this is.
I'm sure the 3PMSF tires work really good on snow, but I wouldn't dismiss tires with a M+S rating all together. As you know, we get a decent amount of snow in CDA. I have been running Nitto Ridge Grapplers for the last 4 winters and they have performed pretty good on everything but pure ice. In those conditions, nothing but a dedicated snow tire or a studded tire is going to work well.

Unless you run two sets of tires, selection is going to come down to some kind of compromise. Fortunately there are lots of reviews to help with that decision.

BowDown

Reaction score
I'm sure the 3PMSF tires work really good on snow, but I wouldn't dismiss tires with a M+S rating all together. As you know, we get a decent amount of snow in CDA. I have been running Nitto Ridge Grapplers for the last 4 winters and they have performed pretty good on everything but pure ice. In those conditions, nothing but a dedicated snow tire or a studded tire is going to work well.

Unless you run two sets of tires, selection is going to come down to some kind of compromise. Fortunately there are lots of reviews to help with that decision.

That seems to be a cold weather climate tire/designation, no?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not true, I just replaced my worn out Goodyear's with Pirelli Scorpion AS+3's and the ride quality, IMO, actually increased.
Steering is a touch quicker as well. The Goodyear's aren't less dense, just a softer rubber, 300 treadwear. IDK why they put a 300 tw tire on a truck, that's a sports car tire
I was referring what the guys who were way too bored found when comparing the stock tire to the same brand/model retail tire.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The OEM Goodyear touring tire is identical to the Goodyear Touring retail tire, sku is actually the same as is the Temp and Treadwear. Discount tire Goodyear Touring would perform the same as the OEM tire as its the very same tire
That may be true of the Goodyear Touring tires. I don't know a lot about those. But that's not the only OEM tire out there. Again, I'm not arguing whether either of you is right or wrong. Just that your experience was not what he described.

The problem with the M + S rating is that it's just a calculation of tread geometry. There is no testing involved with earning that rating. The 3PMSF rating requires the tire to be tested against real criteria. I'm glad you're happy with your tires. I wanted to go with those, I just didn't want to go with what was to me an unknown. I've had issues with tires that were just M + S rated so I'm going with what I know works. (y)

66Fuelie

Reaction score
The stock Goodyear's are crap in winter conditions. You'll probably want to replace the tires before the snow flies (if it hasn't already). Unless you are already planning on buying winter tires and do the seasonal change over thing.
This is my concern living in Minnesota, I can barely take off from a stop sign when its raining without spinning the tires. I just need to find a good all season tire....
Tom

mffdvr

Reaction score
Love the look of the 22" and I'm sure you will too. I took the Goodyear Eagle Touring (285/45/R22) off a week after I brought mine home from the dealership and replaced with with Nitto Terra Grappler G2 (305/45/R22). More aggressive look, and the 305 gives it just enough sidewall/width for that little extra protection. That plus some mudguards (Husky) complete the look well enough. (y)

Last edited:

Ben1500GT

Reaction score
Love the look of the 22" and I'm sure you will too. I took the Goodyear Eagle Touring (285/45/R22) off a week after I brought mine home from the dealership and replaced with with Nitto Terra Grappler G2 (205/45/R22). More aggressive look, and the 305 gives it just enough sidewall/width for that little extra protection. That plus some mudguards (Husky) complete the look well enough. (y)

Yeah the look is going to be sharp. I went with White paint and night edition so can’t wait to see the black on white. Good call on the mudguards too…I want to keep the lower side panels as protected as possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dogboyslim

Reaction score
This is my concern living in Minnesota, I can barely take off from a stop sign when its raining without spinning the tires. I just need to find a good all season tire....
Tom
This may be straying off topic: I went with Michelin Defender LTX M/S in Wisconsin. I had these on my expedition and they were really good highway tire with solid wet/snow performance. They aren’t a winter tire, but I never had trouble on anything that was a road, even after a massive 32” snowfall that took 4 days to fully plow, I had no trouble getting around, and I still had traction when temps hit -10 F. If you don’t need an AT, tire, I think these are quite good, long wearing tires.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This may be straying off topic: I went with Michelin Defender LTX M/S in Wisconsin. I had these on my expedition and they were really good highway tire with solid wet/snow performance. They aren’t a winter tire, but I never had trouble on anything that was a road, even after a massive 32” snowfall that took 4 days to fully plow, I had no trouble getting around, and I still had traction when temps hit -10 F. If you don’t need an AT, tire, I think these are quite good, long wearing tires.
Those are some incredible tires- I love them.

In case anyone’s wondering, I’ll have toyo open country at3’s on my truck as of Saturday, but I love the tire Dogboyslim mentioned, and it’s served me very well in the past.

66Fuelie

Reaction score
Thats the same tire I ran on my last 3 Silverado's. That will most likely be the one I go with before winter. I travel all of Wisconsin, Mn,North Dakota and the UP.
Tg

FirstTimeRamDriver

Reaction score
I lived in fargo till this June, for about 14 years, out of which I ran 22 inch wheels on 2 vehicles for about 8 years. My 19 ram spent 2 winters up there and my previous vehicle had 22 inch too. The ride on ram is awesome even with 22 inch and stock tires. I did run winter tires but mostly because I had a habit of driving to Yellowstone and montana and other even snow clad places in dead beat of winter. You will fine in MN

Idahoktm

Reaction score
That may be true of the Goodyear Touring tires. I don't know a lot about those. But that's not the only OEM tire out there. Again, I'm not arguing whether either of you is right or wrong. Just that your experience was not what he described.

The problem with the M + S rating is that it's just a calculation of tread geometry. There is no testing involved with earning that rating. The 3PMSF rating requires the tire to be tested against real criteria. I'm glad you're happy with your tires. I wanted to go with those, I just didn't want to go with what was to me an unknown. I've had issues with tires that were just M + S rated so I'm going with what I know works. (y)
It was a little bit of a gamble for me. I went off of reviews and the word of the salesman at Discount.

mffdvr

Reaction score
Yeah the look is going to be sharp. I went with White paint and night edition so can’t wait to see the black on white. Good call on the mudguards too…I want to keep the lower side panels as protected as possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will say, however, and it should be noted, there's a bit of rub with the 305's at full wheel-crank unfortunately. Not a deal breaker, just really proficient nowadays at 2-3pt turns. 😄

sppb32

Reaction score
I upgraded to the 22's from the 18's and there is a difference in ride, but it's a pickup truck not a limousine and i like to have a feel of the surface i'm driving on, the oem tires are very soft and grip great in most surfaces even on dirt but not the greatest in the rain they hydroplane very easy, i kept the 18's for the winter.

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
Love the look of the 22" and I'm sure you will too. I took the Goodyear Eagle Touring (285/45/R22) off a week after I brought mine home from the dealership and replaced with with Nitto Terra Grappler G2 (305/45/R22). More aggressive look, and the 305 gives it just enough sidewall/width for that little extra protection. That plus some mudguards (Husky) complete the look well enough. (y)
Can you throw up a couple of pics what the 305’s look like from a few angles ? I’m waffling on swapping out my 22’s for 20’s and a level or go full tilt lift. But if the 305’s look good that may win me over for a bit. 😉

Reverse

Reaction score
For me the downside of the 22" wheels:
- the look - the tire doesn't fill out the wheel well enough IMO
- limited tire selection
- relatively high tire price
- faster wear than smaller diameter tires of same make and type (Michelin Defender)

We own a Limited with 22" and a Big Horn with 20", and I'd pick 20" or even 18" wheels over the 22" because of reasons above.

In fact, I'm trolling EBay and Craigslist for 20" and 18" wheels so I can mount higher sidewll tires.

wvinson

Reaction score
My 305/45/22 General Grabbers fill up my wheel well very good, extra sidewall for comfort, extra width for rim protection for my wife, and man, they look spectacular with the aggressive tread!

Users who are viewing this thread