5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What to expect in the 2nd. 100,000 miles

jljbtm

Reaction score
I just want to ask those of you over 100,000 miles on your Ram 1500 what has failed what's gone wrong? Has the truck left you stranded Etc.

azzx

Reaction score
There is a guy on Youtube that has documented his ownership experience since 2019 --- I think the last video I saw he wast at 250,000 miles.
Dont remember the link.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
Mines still going strong at 124k miles. It has yet to leave me stranded but I have replaced a couple items on it.
- Battery.
- Passenger side exhaust manifold.
- Passenger side front wheel bearing.
- Currently on my fourth set of tires.

I went through the truck at 100K miles and replaced all fluids, spark plugs, serpentine belt, brake pads and rotors. I should have done shocks at the same time but the factory units were still working decent so I opted to hold off. Lately I've been chasing some odd tire wear and vibrations at higher speeds but it's looking more and more like the issue is actually stemming from worn out shocks. I've replaced the rears already and I'll be doing the fronts tomorrow so hopefully I have a more definitive answer on that subject by the end of the week. I only mention this because I could have avoided a bunch of hassle and expense had I done the shocks at the same time as everything else and I believe this is the type of thing you are looking for in this thread.

My dash bubbled at some point too but for some reason it doesn't bother me near as much as it does other's on this forum. I've had the dash off so many of my ram trucks that I look at it from the perspective that yeah, I wish it didn't happen, but it's only a 5-6 hr job to pull the dash and glue it back down and it just doesn't bother me enough to warrant the effort. But, this is a work truck, not a show pony. ;)

Last edited:

dajogejr

Reaction score
I can appreciate that video.. but 100K in a year and a half.
That’s a very short window.

Mileage is what mileage is…but time is also a factor.
Most cars/trucks in the non commercial sector…. Are driven 12 to 15K a year.
He’s driving 4-5 times that.

On my 15, it never left me stranded. I know it’s not 5th gen…but I can tell you even when the air ride malfunctioned, I still was able to drive it home, one time… a 30 plus mile drive home from the airport.
The ride sucked, I must’ve looked like I was riding in a low rider on the stops…but I got home.

But again, it never left me stranded. Plenty of stuff broke…over the course of 8 years and 140K.

dajogejr

Reaction score
BTW - I think he has updates up to 250K
hey…different strokes for different folks. That’s way too much time behind the wheel of a truck, or any car, for me… :)
I thought when I traveled for work more in late 2015-2018…20 to 25K was way too much.

Good information nonetheless. But i think a 2019 with 250K is rare.
100, give or take, more like the norm.

Yes, I know… we’re gonna have people come on here saying they/their friend/their former college roommate’s brother in law twice removed, drive 30 to 50K a year.

Again, that’s rare…not the norm.

BlueHemi1500

Reaction score
Mines still going strong at 124k miles. It has yet to leave me stranded but I have replaced a couple items on it.
- Battery.
- Passenger side exhaust manifold.
- Passenger side front wheel bearing.
- Currently on my fourth set of tires.

I went through the truck at 100K miles and replaced all fluids, spark plugs, serpentine belt, brake pads and rotors. I should have done shocks at the same time but the factory units were still working decent so I opted to hold off. Lately I've been chasing some odd tire wear and vibrations at higher speeds but it's looking more and more like the issue is actually stemming from worn out shocks. I've replaced the rears already and I'll be doing the fronts tomorrow so hopefully I have a more definitive answer on that subject by the end of the week. I only mention this because I could have avoided a bunch of hassle and expense had I done the shocks at the same time as everything else and I believe this is the type of thing you are looking for in this thread.

My dash bubbled at some point too but for some reason it doesn't bother me near as much as it does other's on this forum. I've had the dash off so many of my ram trucks that I look at it from the perspective that yeah, I wish it didn't happen, but it's only a 5-6 hr job to pull the dash and glue it back down and it just doesn't bother me enough to warrant the effort. But, this is a work truck, not a show pony. ;)
Inquiring minds want to know:
  • About how much did all that work cost?
  • Did you do the work or pay to have the work completed?
T.I.A.

BlueHemi1500

N7GZN

Reaction score
115k+,
Replaced the battery
Replaced the USB hub
Repaired broken exhaust manifold studs to the drivers side.
Just started leaking on the passenger side exhaust manifold, most likely more broken exhaust manifold studs.
A reliable vehicle, no major issues it has never left me stranded.

Users who are viewing this thread