5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What to do with uconnect

Checkas

Reaction score
I recently just overpaid for a nearly new Ram 1500 Big Horn 2021. The reason I say overpriced is because of the chip shortage that's causing all kinds of great prices everywhere. Dealers are getting way more money for vehicles than they should be and we are being taken advantage but that's a different story.

I'd like to know what I can do with my Uconnect to make it a little more friendly for travel and for normal use. It does not have navigation enabled. It does not have anything Wireless in it. I'd like to know about any options for allowing screen mirroring because I have seen it somewhere but I don't remember where. Obviously I'm not looking to watch movies while I'm driving but sometimes I need to mirror my phone to do some work since I work out of my vehicle and I just want to have some entertainment while I'm working on a project. Also I I had read about the fact that you can't change the theme any longer. I had my father's 2016 RAM and you are allowed to change the colors on that but they seem to have removed it on this one without the navigation enabled. So just let me know what all I am able to do and some fun stuff I might can try. I'm really trying to customize the truck so that it can be a better fit for my needs.

HAL9001

Reaction score
I have a 2021 1500 Limited. I can change the theme to several different color options, but my Limited might have some options that the Big Horn doesn't. Have you gone through all the setting options? Have you referenced the owner's manual?

As far as mirroring, UConnect 4 offers both CarPlay and Andriod Auto. Any smartphone application that uses either will be mirrored on the UConnect screen. This includes Waze and Google Maps for navigation, both of which are excellent, and several other applications for other purposes.

Your smartphone should interface to Uconnect 4 either via Bluetooth or USB. With Bluetooth, you can make and receive phone calls and play music from your phone, and it should have access to your smartphone's contact list. To use CarPlay and Andriod Auto, you will need to connect via USB.

Again, play around with it and/or check the owner's manual to see exactly which functions your specific truck has.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Everything @HAL9001 said, though with the Big Horn you cannot change the themes. There are add-ons like Tazer DT and AlphaObd that allow you to adjust other settings and add more functionality, you might look into those.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
It may depend on the trim level you have. My 21 bighorn allows me to change themes and colors through the settings but I also have the 12" screen. To me, the uconnect phone app is useless other than being able to locate my truck in the event it gets stolen. The other features dont really do me any good. Search youtube because I believe there are some videos showing some add on devices that allow you to mirror screens.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It may depend on the trim level you have. My 21 bighorn allows me to change themes and colors through the settings but I also have the 12" screen. To me, the uconnect phone app is useless other than being able to locate my truck in the event it gets stolen. The other features dont really do me any good. Search youtube because I believe there are some videos showing some add on devices that allow you to mirror screens.
Didn't think about the 12" screen on a Bighorn since mine has the 8.4, good point.

Users who are viewing this thread