5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What tire shine do you use?

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've never been one to use tire shine but after the detailer shined my tires, the look fits. Wanting to continue that look, I had some old, and I do mean OLD! Black Magic sitting around and it did the trick but wasn't as deep and only held up for a week. Can you guys suggest a better product with some more staying power.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you for the responses. Are any of the above mentioned products available at the local Pep Boys, AutoZone or Walmart?

Also, hand application is the best I’ve found due to overspray on the driveway that lasts longer than on the tires. ;). Anyone know what’s easiest to apply?

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use Chemical Guys Silk shine. It gives the tires a nice black look with just a slight shine. I don't like the greasy wet look.

lpdb185

Reaction score
303 Tire Balm is the best thing I've found, for me. I don't like the super high shine, and I can't stand the sling-off that I've always got from spray-on tire shines. The 303 brand tire balm is more of a lotion consistency that you wipe on with an applicator pad. One quick coat gives the tire a really rich, clean, semi-gloss finish. And the best part is that there is absolutely no sling-off. I highly recommend it.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
303 Tire Balm is the best thing I've found, for me. I don't like the super high shine, and I can't stand the sling-off that I've always got from spray-on tire shines. The 303 brand tire balm is more of a lotion consistency that you wipe on with an applicator pad. One quick coat gives the tire a really rich, clean, semi-gloss finish. And the best part is that there is absolutely no sling-off. I highly recommend it.
303 makes great products. I use their fabric protection for carpet areas, and their protectant for trim and the tonneau cover.

U-235

Reaction score
303 does make a good product. My personal favorite tire dressing is a product called Tuf-Shine. It takes a little prep work, but it dries to a nice black sheen (not shine), and ZERO sling. In fact, you could brush against it wearing white sneakers and not even notice. I haven't looked back since I tried it.

Ezshooter

JAFO
Reaction score
I use Meguiar's Hyper Dressing (gallon size). Water based so you can dilute it to your preference, from dull to shiny.
Been using it for years with great results.

Cheers,
^^^This^^^ Meguiar's has a great line of products and they are available in wal marts. Key for me is Water Based - petroleum based looks great and may have better life (of their 'look') but I've used armor all on previous vehicles and started to get tires with rubber damage / decay. I personally like Chemical Guys VRP, since I use it diluted 10:1 - I get (as a previous comment stated) a silky sheen versus a thick shine and the sheen lasts a week as long as its not wet outside - and I don't have a messed up driveway, and its spray on and leave it / won't damage paint or metal wheels. With diluted VRP, I can use it on most of the interior for dressing as well on any vinyl rubber plastics... VRP.

EZ

DeanKing

Reaction score
I have been a shiny tire guy for a long time and tried many different products. This was my new goto: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IOBSXQ0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but I now see it is unavailable. It is not a dressing but a dye and it lasts a really long time and doesn't sling off. There appears to be other products like this https://www.amazon.com/Forever-Black-Tire-Gel-Dye/dp/B005MZ1BY2 that do the same thing but the bottle that I bought has a lot of product and it goes a long way. Just make sure you wear gloves and don't use over light covered surfaces like concrete. I am making it sound like a pain but it was actually really easy to use.

ForkliftFranky12

Reaction score
I prefer Adams VRT personally. Water based dressing with water repellent properties. Leaves a nice clean black look. They also offer a dedicated Tire Shine which I personally am not a fan of.

Users who are viewing this thread